• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you buy today?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I don't like digging through longer clubs to get to the shorter ones. This way seems far more natural than the other way.
That makes perfect sense. I have this issue when using my bag on a power cart. I end up turning it sideways.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Nothing yet. Shipped the Titleist irons off late last week. Were received on Monday and being evaluated. One of the guys in our group just got a set of the Tour Edge Ironwoods. Don't know if I can bring myself to think I'm old enough to need a complete set of hybrids!! Will have something new on the way back to me in the next few days.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Nothing yet. Shipped the Titleist irons off late last week. Were received on Monday and being evaluated. One of the guys in our group just got a set of the Tour Edge Ironwoods. Don't know if I can bring myself to think I'm old enough to need a complete set of hybrids!! Will have something new on the way back to me in the next few days.
I made the switch to hybrid irons. Tour Edge Exotics CBX Iron-Wood IS (essentially their driving iron option extended beyond the 4 iron down through Gap Wedge.). They were a good transition into hybrid irons, but only made for a brief period of time. I have a set of Cleveland Launcher XL Halo irons that will be getting tested soon. More hybridy through 7 iron, then they transition into more of a SGI iron 8-PW. Throw in the Smart Sole Chipper, GW, and SW with my 5 and 7 woods, I am ready for the old man game of golf.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yep! I'm getting as bad with irons as WBL is with drivers!! One of the guys in our group just bought a set of Tour Edge Ironwoods. He let me hit them a few times. Just could not get past the look. Could not visualize something that looks like them as my "irons".
In the meantime, I found a set of Mavrik irons. They should be here early next week. 5-AW. That means they are actually 4-PW... at least.
We'll give them a try. Should be a little more forgiving than my Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s. Will be longer, but I don't care about that. It's not the number on the sole. It's learning what distance you get out of each iron... consistently.
Tax, shipping, and all I am out $28.36 after my trade. If I can win a few quarters from the old coots with my 1985 Pings... surely I can make back the $28 with these newfangled irons.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Yep! I'm getting as bad with irons as WBL is with drivers!! One of the guys in our group just bought a set of Tour Edge Ironwoods. He let me hit them a few times. Just could not get past the look. Could not visualize something that looks like them as my "irons".
In the meantime, I found a set of Mavrik irons. They should be here early next week. 5-AW. That means they are actually 4-PW... at least.
We'll give them a try. Should be a little more forgiving than my Eye 2's or Eye 2+'s. Will be longer, but I don't care about that. It's not the number on the sole. It's learning what distance you get out of each iron... consistently.
Tax, shipping, and all I am out $28.36 after my trade. If I can win a few quarters from the old coots with my 1985 Pings... surely I can make back the $28 with these newfangled irons.
Which Mavriks did you get? I just looked up the specs….5i…21 deg. 😳

PW….41 Deg. 😳

That is old school 3 iron through 8 iron. You may need a second gap wedge.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Which Mavriks did you get? I just looked up the specs….5i…21 deg. 😳

PW….41 Deg. 😳

That is old school 3 iron through 8 iron. You may need a second gap wedge.
They are the Mavrik... not the Pro or Max. Hence, they have the strongest lofts. Ridiculous. Like having a 3 or 4 iron with a short shaft. But, the shaft length is a little longer than normal. If we were considering my old Pings... you are correct. I plan on sticking a 50 degree Cleveland of mine and a 56 Vokey in to complete the set.

Now, if you read all the various reviews, they have quite a bit of spin, which the Epic irons didn't. Most of the reviewers said they grab the green pretty good. Understand, at a few months short of 76 years old, I have lost distance over the past couple years. Still one of the longest is our group, but am hitting at least one club longer into greens than I am used to. Heck! There's a couple guys in our group who use a 7 or 8 iron from 100 yards out! And... they are on the green and close to the pin!!!!
Gonna be interesting. Also at this age, there ain't much "spice in life" left other than experimenting with some new irons!!!! :>)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
They are the Mavrik... not the Pro or Max. Hence, they have the strongest lofts. Ridiculous. Like having a 3 or 4 iron with a short shaft. But, the shaft length is a little longer than normal. If we were considering my old Pings... you are correct. I plan on sticking a 50 degree Cleveland of mine and a 56 Vokey in to complete the set.

Now, if you read all the various reviews, they have quite a bit of spin, which the Epic irons didn't. Most of the reviewers said they grab the green pretty good. Understand, at a few months short of 76 years old, I have lost distance over the past couple years. Still one of the longest is our group, but am hitting at least one club longer into greens than I am used to. Heck! There's a couple guys in our group who use a 7 or 8 iron from 100 yards out! And... they are on the green and close to the pin!!!!
Gonna be interesting. Also at this age, there ain't much "spice in life" left other than experimenting with some new irons!!!! :>)
Sounds familiar. I seem to still hit the driver the same distance but my irons have been 1 club short all spring. I've adjusted so no big deal other then the hit to the ego. My next big purchase is a new set of irons but looking at the prices at Golf Galaxy I might just die with my AP1's in my hand. I'm leaning toward a new set of Srixon's.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

You may need a 46 deg wedge in there. 41 to 50 is a large gap.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The Mavriks arrived this morning. Perfect condition!!! Project X Catalyst 6.0 shafts. Doubt they have more than 5 or 6 rounds on them... at the most. They am reel purty!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My picture taking skills stink! Never have been able to get decent photos from this phone. Oh, well....
20220525_182243.jpg
20220525_182321.jpg
20220525_182328.jpg

🔥 Latest posts