• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which one was a bigger choke

Whos US Open Choke Was Worse?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Highdraw34

Reaction score
The question is whos choke was worse on Sunday? I don't really see Phil's let down as a choke. I see it as more of a give away. Now there may not be much of a difference between a choke and a give away but I define a choke as a mental and physical lapse that was unprovoked. Monty was in the fairway with a great look at the pin. It took him five strokes to get in from there. 5 strokes. You realize that even with that pressure a lot of us on this board could have done one stroke better than that. He changed his club before his shot. We all know what that does to you. You cannot hit a good shot when you make that decision. I think Monty's choke was perhaps his biggest yet. The man will never win a major. I feel for him and I think he has a great game but he is a huge disappointment. So whos choke was worse?

What happened sunday kind of reminds me of the Mickelson of old. Right there on sunday but can't pull through. I fell bad for the guy, Monty as well, I guess them's da breaks though.

I voted for Monty, he choked. Phil was dumb and should have chipped out.

Watching Phil bounce one off of the Champions tent, and then a tree....reminded me of the ending of Tin Cup.

Easy to say now, hindsight is 20-20, but just knock it out to the fairway and take a bogey. Beat Ogilvy in the playoff on Monday. Oh well, we'll never know.

To be honest, I didn't sense anyone choking. Just a tough course with very competitive players. Although, Phil had to be feeling some nerves on the 18th tee. As for Monty, I did not sense choke. I just know Monty, with a little luck, could have won the Open by three strokes. But, I guess alot of players are feeling that this morning. Tough, tough tournament.

Chas said:
To be honest, I didn't sense anyone choking. Just a tough course with very competitive players. Although, Phil had to be feeling some nerves on the 18th tee. As for Monty, I did not sense choke. I just know Monty, with a little luck, could have won the Open by three strokes. But, I guess alot of players are feeling that this morning. Tough, tough tournament.

I see your point. No doubt Winged Foot is a tough challenge but Monty had taken away all the challenges. He was in the fairway on the 18th with nothing more than an easy iron shot and two putt from par. He took a 6. It was bad. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but atleast Phil put himself in a bad spot. Monty went out of his way to find a shovel to dig his grave.

You know that Montgomery has made double because the walking scorer has just told you so. You can see Olgivy standing in the middle of the fairway and then hit a shot that from your perspective has to look mighty damn good. Okay, it rolls back down and you can see him chip it up to the hole. Pulling out the Driver after you've only hit two fairways all day is definately a choke job. Choking on that massive ego of yours.

Humility and a 3 iron, a bump and run type approach in between the troublesome bunkers or maybe even onto the green, another little chip or lag putt, and a short putt and you are three in a row in majors. Mess up one of these more humble shots and you have great chance of winning in the playoff the next day. Mickelson's was the bigger choke in my opinion.

Biggest choke? Phil all the way. Most golf fans expected Monty to not win; Phil is #2 in the world and should have been a shoo-in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520