• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why do I play blades?

The irons you are hitting (the TM MBs) are not weak, they are normal. Unfortunately the GI and such are gimmicking to be longer.

Most "better player" irons are the same as yours and have the now standard lofts. Its the "better longer" clubs as advertised who are changin their lofts.

agrees, a 37 degree 7 iron is not that far out, maybe 1 degree, or 2 at a push, and if you believe that a 7 iron should be 33 then its not a 7 iron, its really a 6.

Interesting thread. I have been playing blades,on and off, for about 25 years, originally with Arnold Palmer "The Standard" MB's and most recently with Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB's. About 2 years ago, since I am 60 years old, I decided it was time to switch to CB's with regular graphite shafts. I honestly could not hit them straight and at the end of last summer switched back to my AP's with DG stiff shafts and immediately started getting GIR's again.

I have a really slow SS with a driver (average 95 mph) and should benefit from softer flexes, however, I hit my TA MB 8 iron 145, high and straight, and the 8 CB with regular graphite shafts 130:confused: and wrong (standard lofts on both clubs). Distance, aside, I would rather be short and straight with my irons.

My point is that MB heads are not as difficult to play with, and CB heads as forgiving as some would have you believe in real playing conditions (not driving ranges). Shafts, imo, are more important, so if you like the blade heads try some different shafts to get the ball flight you want.

agrees, a 37 degree 7 iron is not that far out, maybe 1 degree, or 2 at a push, and if you believe that a 7 iron should be 33 then its not a 7 iron, its really a 6.

I dont believe that a 7 iron should be 33 degrees, but the fact is that most companies are decreasing the lofts (I actually saw that the new burner xd irons had a 7 iron loft of 30 degrees). These strong clubs are beginning to be the norm, and correct me if im wrong, but many more people play them than players irons. I was simply pointing out the fact that when people chirp in their distances, you must take into consideration what type of irons they are hitting: IE game improvement vs players. So when someone says they hit their 8 iron 180 yards, that could be more like a 6 irons distance using my clubs.

I defintiely think it's more a shaft issue than a blade issue. X stiff shafts would be hard to hit with any head. And the reverse is true for your blades. If you put a reg shaft in them they would seem ridiculously easy ot hit long.

I believe that you are absolutely right. I know the x stiffs are way too stiff for me. Which makes me wonder, why the hell did I buy them? damn you global golf! Luckily, I do have a new set waiting for me at home, with softer shafts, yay

I swing my driver at about 109. I'm good for 275 carry.

My 8 iron is good for 145-150 yards, tops. I will take accuracy over distance any day of the week.

I play to a 4 handicap.

R35

I dont believe that a 7 iron should be 33 degrees, but the fact is that most companies are decreasing the lofts (I actually saw that the new burner xd irons had a 7 iron loft of 30 degrees). These strong clubs are beginning to be the norm, and correct me if im wrong, but many more people play them than players irons. I was simply pointing out the fact that when people chirp in their distances, you must take into consideration what type of irons they are hitting: IE game improvement vs players. So when someone says they hit their 8 iron 180 yards, that could be more like a 6 irons distance using my clubs.

I know, but their 8 iron is really a 6! My disctances are the same as Rockfords, 145/50 with an 8, and I play to the same handicap

See I'm crazy. I have the same SS and driver length as Rock but i hit an 8i 160-165 with a smooth swing. I don't go at it at all and it goes that far.

Yeah, but we don't play Pinnacles:)

But I never hit irons at full on, I always swing smoothly and control my swing, probably 80% of full effort

I then wisened up and switched to CB's. I nabbed a set of MP-30's, which are damn near the same club but offer oodles of forgiveness (contrary to some Canadiens fans, who are idiots by nature :D) by comparison.

R35

I guess I should read every post instead of just skimming the titles of the threads ;)

You'll have new irons by the end of the season anyhow. 57's maybe? 60's even... :D

I guess I should read every post instead of just skimming the titles of the threads ;)

You'll have new irons by the end of the season anyhow. 57's maybe? 60's even... :D

Took you long enough. :laugh:

The Mizuno's are being ousted for 08. Patience.

R35

Took you long enough. :laugh:

The Mizuno's are being ousted for 08. Patience.

R35

what the Mizzys are leaving the bag...i hope they are to be replaced with more Mizzys... i couldnt dare part with my mp30's..(excpet for some mp60's)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520