• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Practice

Louie_T07

Reaction score
Well Southern Ontario appears to be in the firm stranglehold of winter, golf 2008 is officially in the books! Now I know there is already a thred for our goals in the 09 golf season and there's another about the dreaded range mat. So I won't go into those, but for most in order to obtain the goals we've set out for ourselves at least some practicing is need correct??

For some those awful driving range mats are all we have to keep or swings in shape. I refuse to use them because of the damage they could cause to my clubs. I put a lot of money into that set, why wreck them practicing?? I do like the idea of using a junker set, I will most likely be looking into that, or at least a few clubs. For me the majority of my practice time is indoors, in the comfort of my home. I'm not a huge fan of practice. I would much rather be out playing a course somewhere, but its winter so really I have no choice! I spend a lot of my time working of fundamentals, like chipping, putting, and some pitch shots (I use foam balls, so no broken things... yet!) I also have a weighted club that I can use to practice slow motion full, half and quarter swings. My goal in all of this is to create the base for a solid set-up when it comes time to actually put what I've practiced into use. I will use the range, maybe twice when spring is a little closer and after I've practiced all the fundamentals for a couple months.

What does everyone else do, that has to live through these brutal few months with our golf courses closed and under ice and snow?? I'm sure there are a few snowbirds that go south, and others that just sit it out til spring.

I pretty much just sit it out till spring.

However, every now and then when i am really bored i head downstairs and chip/pitch/putt and just have a little fun, nothing too serious.

This year i do get to go down to Florida in Feb and hopefully i can get together with a few of our members down there for a round.

I hit balls all winter. Not every day, but 3 or 4 times a week.

I hit balls all winter. Not every day, but 3 or 4 times a week.

That's a me too.

Mike--How you going to get your golfing "fix" when at Michigan Tech. They have a golf team there?

That's a me too.

Mike--How you going to get your golfing "fix" when at Michigan Tech. They have a golf team there?

When the weather is acceptable for playing, greens fees are included in the tuition at the universities course. I will also have a net in my uncle's garage 5 minutes away.

I hit the heated range a couple times a month, hopefully go to either my in-laws in MS or my sisters in S.Carolina for a few rds. That's about it.

Between work, skiing & the constant snow removal I really don't have time for anything else.

For those that a hitting the ranges, are you worried so much about possibly wrecking your clubs on the mats? I often get talked into a round or two at the golf simulators, but I find their mats not so bad. You're local outdoor range or dome just have some crappy mats. Does anyone have a couple old clubs lying around they use at the range instead of the clubs you play all year with? That just makes a lot of sense to me and why I ask.

Luckily the great purple monster in the sky has found it necessary to keep the weather warmer so far this year. Still gotten cold, but the city limits haven't seen much, if any, snow. :D

So I've been hitting balls all winter.

Underarmor... tough it out. Hit balls 3 or 4 days a week as long as it's not too wet.

For those that a hitting the ranges, are you worried so much about possibly wrecking your clubs on the mats? I often get talked into a round or two at the golf simulators, but I find their mats not so bad. You're local outdoor range or dome just have some crappy mats. Does anyone have a couple old clubs lying around they use at the range instead of the clubs you play all year with? That just makes a lot of sense to me and why I ask.

I don't hit irons off the mats, fairway woods & driver only.

I don't hit irons off the mats, fairway woods & driver only.

Would you hit irons off the mats if you had say; a 7, 8 and a wedge of an older set??

I'm just trying to hatch this idea of a winter-beater set of irons, kinda like here in Canada we have the winter-beater car!! :D I'm just looking to bounce the idea off you guys. Any other clubs someone would add? We arn't looking for a second set, just a few clubs probably bought individually that you could hit off a range mat.

Would you hit irons off the mats if you had say; a 7, 8 and a wedge of an older set??

I'm just trying to hatch this idea of a winter-beater set of irons, kinda like here in Canada we have the winter-beater car!! :D I'm just looking to bounce the idea off you guys. Any other clubs someone would add? We arn't looking for a second set, just a few clubs probably bought individually that you could hit off a range mat.

I have other irons I could use on a mat, that's not what stops me. I simply don't like hitting irons off mats. I get zero feedback, you have to scoop the ball, they are nothing like real grass, etc etc. I do not like them Sam I am.

Exactly what I've done. Cheap irons with with wide flange. Mine are a set of gliders (Maltby Gliders) with graphite shafts. Got them real cheap from Golf Galaxy. Wide flange helps take up the shock of the mat.

Maltby Glider S Iron Heads

Well Southern Ontario appears to be in the firm stranglehold of winter, golf 2008 is officially in the books! Now I know there is already a thred for our goals in the 09 golf season and there's another about the dreaded range mat. So I won't go into those, but for most in order to obtain the goals we've set out for ourselves at least some practicing is need correct??

For some those awful driving range mats are all we have to keep or swings in shape. I refuse to use them because of the damage they could cause to my clubs. I put a lot of money into that set, why wreck them practicing?? I do like the idea of using a junker set, I will most likely be looking into that, or at least a few clubs. For me the majority of my practice time is indoors, in the comfort of my home. I'm not a huge fan of practice. I would much rather be out playing a course somewhere, but its winter so really I have no choice! I spend a lot of my time working of fundamentals, like chipping, putting, and some pitch shots (I use foam balls, so no broken things... yet!) I also have a weighted club that I can use to practice slow motion full, half and quarter swings. My goal in all of this is to create the base for a solid set-up when it comes time to actually put what I've practiced into use. I will use the range, maybe twice when spring is a little closer and after I've practiced all the fundamentals for a couple months.

What does everyone else do, that has to live through these brutal few months with our golf courses closed and under ice and snow?? I'm sure there are a few snowbirds that go south, and others that just sit it out til spring.

I have a mirror in my garage and I just focus on setup: grip, posture and alignment. You can make swings and check your trouble spots. I find this keeps me in tune enough to make the transition back to hitting balls much easier. I will on occasion go hit some drivers to keep the feel, but I will never hit off mats b/c it's like comparing apples and oranges. There is absolutely nothing similar to compressing the turf after the ball and hitting off a mat. I have even tried a new place downtown Indy that has the mats Vijay endorses.....uh, it ain't the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520