• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1 major thing Windows Vista is missing is...

daabomb2002

Reaction score
Windows vista needs to have an antivirus program built into it. And it's not anticompetitive cuz vista already has antispyware and a 2 way firewall.

Then again, you can get one of the top virus programs on the market for free in AVG. Which is what I usually recommend if people do not want to spring for one. Even though I use Norton.
AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Welcome

Then again, it will be at least 6 months before I would even consider Vista.

Personally I would use a free versions of Zonealarm for a firewall and Ad-aware for spyware, so it is unlikely I would rely on a Microsoft for any protective program even if it were offered. So it would only clutter up the system and make me have to disable it if it were on there. What does competition have to do with it, let them stick with what they know and spend their time on perfecting operating systems. I would rather get my other software from people who have years of experience in a specialized field.

BTW, nice first post, welcome to the Golf forum.:laugh:

I have vista on my laptop and i wish it had the normal XP on it instead, but i really didnt get a say in it as its for college.... Vista to me isnt anything much more special, just confuses me when i go from this back to our home computer for my ipod, although i got V1 golf for this thing and it is running great for swing analysis and such.

I have McAfee on this thing, should i get something better if im using stuff like "listening to music;)" and such?

I have vista on my laptop and i wish it had the normal XP on it instead, but i really didnt get a say in it as its for college.... Vista to me isnt anything much more special, just confuses me when i go from this back to our home computer for my ipod, although i got V1 golf for this thing and it is running great for swing analysis and such.

I have McAfee on this thing, should i get something better if im using stuff like "listening to music;)" and such?
I have been using Windows and working in the industry since its inception and still have a copy of 1.0 on 5 1/4" floppies. One thing I have learned that has been true with every version thus far is that it is far better to wait a minimum of 6 months (preferably more) prior to upgrading any version if at all possible. By that time they will likely fix alot of the errors or realize their mistake (like with ME).

V1 and Cswing work just fine for me on XP.;) Personally, I skipped from 98 SE to XP, and bypassed the entire 2000 debacle for home use. I still rarely see anything I do that would likely not still work as well on 98SE had they continued to maintain the system. Vista looks like it has some new and promising features, and probably a good reason to change that 6 months to 8 months to a year. I think if I were to upgrade PC's right now, I would likely go ahead and get one of the higher 2 versions to have the license, this thing has like 4 versions from what I have seen which is little at this point. Then put one of my copies of XP on right of the back.

The only advantage to Vista is that it was in the making for alot longer than they initially planned, as they had to reallocate a large portion of their resources assigned for Vista for security issues on their existing platforms. Another sign that I maybe want to put my security interest for software in someone who has their entire staff dedicated to that cause.

Jayhawk - what do mean when you say "Windows 2000 debacle"?

I use W2K (server and pro) on all my business machines, and I never have any OS-related problems with any of them (outside of perceived deficiencies). Very stable. Very compatible with all software I need to use.

On another note. Consider adding Spybot-S&D (free - donations accepted) to your toolbox. It works great in conjunciton with AdAware. Each will find spyware missed by the other.

Spybot easily fixed a particularly nasty browser hijack on a neighbor's computer recently. AdAware didn't find it. I told the guy to send the Spybot developer $10. It certainly was worth that.

I think he is referring to the disaster of Win2k release, not it's current form. It was released with a believed 200,000 bugs. There was also a problem with Win2k not able to run old DOS programs.

We currently use Win2k at work with no problems, but are finally migrating to WinXP.

I think he is referring to the disaster of Win2k release, not it's current form. It was released with a believed 200,000 bugs. There was also a problem with Win2k not able to run old DOS programs.

We currently use Win2k at work with no problems, but are finally migrating to WinXP.

I would not call Win2k a disaster. ME yes 2K no. I don't know if you ever used Windows NT, but Win2k was a welcomed upgrade over that OS. Even in its bug stages (Pre Service Packs) it was better then WinNT. IIRC it did have some issues with older DOS programs, but so did WinNT due to NTFS. I kept using Win2K up until 2003, because of the driver issues with WinXP.

I agree with Jayhawk that Vista should be given 6mo to a year to mature. Of course if you're buying a new computer you will probably be stuck with Vista, hopefully your computer manufacture will have the appropriate drivers for your hardware. If you're still using old peripherals such as older printers you might have to stick with XP or buy a new peripheral to work with Vista.

The creators of Windows ME should all be jailed.

As for Vista, it reminds me alot of Mac OS X, which I used to run from 2001 to 2004, and it crashed maybe once in all of those years. I would consider getting Vista in about a year or two, as Microsoft should straighten things out by then (like 95b, 98SE, XP sp2)

Also, I use AntiVIR, a free antivirus program, and no viruses.

Worked with Vista quite a bit and can't stand it, it's just more Microsoft crap.

I'm trying to work my way to Linux or something else, but just can't find the time or immediate desire to do so.

All I know is I have little tolerance for Microsoft.

Vista is pretty much worthless. I waited until 98se wasn't supported by any more programs until I upgraded, now I seriously doubt I'm going to get vista at all. Linux is much better to use. Jeff, you should try Ubuntu its a really nice Linux Distro.

Jayhawk - what do mean when you say "Windows 2000 debacle"?
I believe the initial idea was to have ME for Home and use NT for business use. Although many small businesses did not want to go with NT, and ME was just a rediculous version that they seem to scrap entirely for 2K, which seemed to be a happy median that you could use on either side of the spectrum and still use for gaming. Had ME not been such a flop, I am not sure you would have seen much of an influx for 2k. 2k is an O.K. operating system, although it was more of a scramble to accommodate a ME system that was done very poorly. I am yet to meet a single person that would say they have faith in ME. Just putting 2 and 2 together, why do you need a 3rd system between ME and NT if they both serve their designated purpose well.

I predict that you may see some of the same animosity towards one or two of the lower models of Vista in the end, after all, why do you need 4 versions of the same operating system?

Then again, that is just my take on it from the transition from 98.

BTW, I use both Ad-Aware and Spybot, I just usually mention Ad-Aware because they tend to do more frequent updates of their definition files. While Spybot catches things that Ad-aware will not on occasion, I would probably say Ad-Aware is a better option should you only choose to have one, but why limit your options to 1 when they are both free?

edit 1 -... and 2k is really more of a business solution to compliment end users in place of NT. You won't see many home users opting for 2k over 98se. So probably a poor choice of words on my part, as I think the initial thread is more related to home use as I mentioned in the first note being a debacle for home use, but I did group it under 2000. Where I would hope that a business would not rely on an AV program built into windows to protect their interests.

The creators of Windows ME should all be jailed.
I was thinking more like shot, but for those who do not believe in the death penalty, I guess jail is the next best option. :D

Vista is pretty much worthless. I waited until 98se wasn't supported by any more programs until I upgraded, now I seriously doubt I'm going to get vista at all. Linux is much better to use. Jeff, you should try Ubuntu its a really nice Linux Distro.

I have no Idea why people like Ubuntu so much. I used it for about a month and really didn't like it. I prefer Suse, or Fedora Core. I play a lot of games so switching to linux completely is out of the question. Even though I have gotten several games to run using Wine, its just not the same. If you don't play a lot of games, then you could probably switch to Linux and never look back. There is a pretty big learning curve to using Linux, and it takes a lot of reading, and trial and error to use it.

I believe the initial idea was to have ME for Home and use NT for business use. Although many small businesses did not want to go with NT, and ME was just a rediculous version that they seem to scrap entirely for 2K, which seemed to be a happy median that you could use on either side of the spectrum and still use for gaming. Had ME not been such a flop, I am not sure you would have seen much of an influx for 2k. 2k is an O.K. operating system, although it was more of a scramble to accommodate a ME system that was done very poorly. I am yet to meet a single person that would say they have faith in ME. Just putting 2 and 2 together, why do you need a 3rd system between ME and NT if they both serve their designated purpose well.

Actually it went more like this. M$ created Windows 2000 Pro and Server as a replacement for the aging and less then user friendly Windows NT. When 2K pro was released because of the name they used it was confusing to Consumers. Many people thought that 2k was an upgrade from 98, when it wasn't. So in an effort to clear up confusion, and to Market on the new Millennium, M$ released Windows ME, which was an even worse version of 98, for home users.

Then when XP was released they had the Home and Pro version. They are pretty much the same OS, except Home doesn't have a lot of the networking features that Pro has, like joining a Domain for example. Then in 2003 they released the Media Center Edition for users that have Multi Media Needs.

I have explained all this in an article I wrote several months ago. With Vista they basically took the 3 versions that were already out there Home, Pro and MCE, and Re named them Home Basic, Business and Home Premium, then added Ultimate which has all the networking features of Business and all the Media Center Features of Home Premium, and slapped a huge price tag on it. You can see the explanation of the different editions here.

I am a lifelong windows guy, and I am seriously considering a Mac now, especially now that you can run either windows or OS on the same computer...

I am a lifelong windows guy, and I am seriously considering a Mac now, especially now that you can run either windows or OS on the same computer...

I was about to say the same damn thing.

Especially now that Mr. Gates and his minions have opted to force us to install the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" (if we want to receive any further security updates), a lovely little piece of SPYWARE that sends data from YOUR hard drive to THEIR server every time you connect to the internet. What data? They won't say.

Lovely. All part of the Master Plan.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424