• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1d closed ???

Golfanatic

Reaction score
Is it just me or is this 1d closed for drivers an epidemic.

I was over at Hireko and a few other sites just looking at driver heads and try to find them neutral. Some brands you cant even get without it being closed.
Am I really going to have to buy an adjustable one to get what Id like to have?

Secondly, what is the point of the 1d closed? I mean, I realize its for slicers, but what exactly does it do? Seems a closed face, if the new ball flight physics are what understand them to be, would send the ball left off the face so that it could then come back around to the right. Is that what the closed clubface is supposed to do?

Thanks in advance
:)

Get the tour model of a lot of drivers and it'll set up square to 2* open depending on manufacturer. I have found that it's not as much what they say as how it really sets up and feels. I have had one tour driver that actually layed open when you grounded the club (a Cleveland Hibore XLS Tour). The Callaway Ft-iq however sets up grossly closed and the tour is more like square. You have to hold em and address em. That tells the true tale. An adjustable driver would be a great idea for someone such as yourself who is still kind of unclear as to what will be perfect for you. If I may suggest... try a Nike Dymo Str8fit. Not too crazy with the adjustments. Just c-n-o. They have em in square and round. They will be pretty cheap with a pretty good Axiv shaft on the bay. The price is right and you can play with it a bit, and it does retain at least a little trade in or resale value.

Get the tour model of a lot of drivers and it'll set up square to 2* open depending on manufacturer. I have found that it's not as much what they say as how it really sets up and feels. I have had one tour driver that actually layed open when you grounded the club (a Cleveland Hibore XLS Tour). The Callaway Ft-iq however sets up grossly closed and the tour is more like square. You have to hold em and address em. That tells the true tale.
When I lay the 454 down on the ground it looks square with the shaft. I can pretty much hold it to the ball like that too, so do you think it may be square....or is there a way to tell.
Nothing on the club says its closed...it just looked like it when I was messing around with it before. Maybe I was holding it wrong or something?

For me I think it's also about weighting. Some clubs, although when the grip alignment is right it is square it's like it wants to fall back closed if not being gripped. And when I say some clubs I mean I notice it with irons too. I had some Wilson Staff Di5's at one point that with the offset and weight would just fall closed if you had them grounded and weren't gripping them. Then the Ci9's I had were the opposite and would lay open. A closed or square driver will also feel just a little weird when you try to grip it opened up. Notice I said grip it opened up, not twist your wrists till it's opened after you've gripped it. I hope i'm making sense for you. Either way, don't get so caught up in what the website says. Don't buy clubs on speculation. Go grip a few and if you can demo a few, buy one and love it. Learn it. I'm getting to the point now where I can tell within .5 second if a club is even a consideration or not based on looks and a waggle. You know the ones you are not going to love for sure... don't even bother with them. No matter what any website says.

For me I think it's also about weighting. Some clubs, although when the grip alignment is right it is square it's like it wants to fall back closed if not being gripped. And when I say some clubs I mean I notice it with irons too. I had some Wilson Staff Di5's at one point that with the offset and weight would just fall closed if you had them grounded and weren't gripping them. Then the Ci9's I had were the opposite and would lay open. A closed or square driver will also feel just a little weird when you try to grip it opened up. Notice I said grip it opened up, not twist your wrists till it's opened after you've gripped it. I hope i'm making sense for you. Either way, don't get so caught up in what the website says. Don't buy clubs on speculation. Go grip a few and if you can demo a few, buy one and love it. Learn it. I'm getting to the point now where I can tell within .5 second if a club is even a consideration or not based on looks and a waggle. You know the ones you are not going to love for sure... don't even bother with them. No matter what any website says.

the used sporting good store had a TON of Callaway, TaylorMade, KIng Cobra and other name brand drivers used I can mess around with. They will even let you take them to the range before buying them.
I guess I should take them up on that and also keep working with the ones I have now.

A number of the drivers at The GolfWorks are set up square. Most golfers are slicers and a closed driver helps them somewhat.

A number of the drivers at The GolfWorks are set up square. Most golfers are slicers and a closed driver helps them somewhat.

I kind of wish I was a slicer so I could just go buy something and have it work. That closed face combined with my draw can be a real pain in the @@@. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520