• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

300+ Yard Drives - Bulls**t!!

I would be surprised if anyone on this forum at all "Averaged" over 300 yards I have watched Vijay hit a ball in real life and he just nails it out there 290 yards on average.

I am a very solid ball hitter and hit the ball high with a lot of strike and I would be surprised if I averaged over 265 yards.

The range I go to has golf lovers with average - good amatures like these forums, and I rarely see any of them get over the 250 yard marker. It is said that 12 - 18 handicappers would average around 220 and 12 below somewhere around 240 obviosuly you get the odd big hitter, but going by the averages I doubt many average over 300 on this forum or all forums excluding (Bombsquadgolf) where of course all members average 350yards, play of +3 and have £9000 golf clubs.

warbirdlover said:
Well, I'm 59 years old, 6' 1" and 250 lbs.

There's the problem, you're an old fart like me. :p

I'm 52, 6' and 185 lbs. and I excercise 5 days a week. I still can't bend the way the 20 somethings do. Some of my lack of distance is just because I'm not that good but age makes a difference.

I'm not saying that people don't BS about how far they hit the ball but there are alot of young guys smashing the ball these days. Into the trees sure, but still a long way.

The master said:
I would be surprised if anyone on this forum at all "Averaged" over 300 yards I have watched Vijay hit a ball in real life and he just nails it out there 290 yards on average.

I am a very solid ball hitter and hit the ball high with a lot of strike and I would be surprised if I averaged over 265 yards.

Now that's reality. If I take my drives for last round, I'd be interested to see the average.

• Hole #1 293yds. - 30yd. pitch left in- I'll say 260
  • Hole #6 553yds. - Had to blast a 5w just to get it down past the corner- I'll go with about 220
  • #11 382yds.- put it on with a 50* wedge- about 270
  • #12 348- way right but fortunately no trouble 50* in - about 260
  • # 14 392yds.- well right again, fading 7iron to the fringe- about 240.
  • # 15 385yds. best drive of the day 54* left to 6ft.- 280yds.
  • # 17 399 yds. big pull into the left woods, - 180yds.
OK Those add up to 1710 divide by 7 = 244yds.

I can drop a drive 270 and get 30 yards of roll easily.The 330s the pros hit are just awesome strikes,but its a fact,and not bullshit at all,that there are some 8/9 handicappers in my club big enough for 290 through the air.They just can't putt.

Highdraw34 said:
I'm calling BS right there. I bet if took a yardage book and didn't judge by your drive on a downhill hole that you don't consistantly hit 275. I may be wrong and if so good for you but I also thought that I hit 280-300 consistantly. I usually outdrive everyone I play with and when I do the due dilligence and check the yard markers versus the length of the hole I usually hit about 265-270. I am not small and I am not weak and I have been playing for about ten years. I'm playing to about a 10 this year so I am not a below average golfer. Just because you hit it well and it goes straight does not mean it went as far as you think. Also, don't judge by what you do at the Range. Those yardages are almost always wrong and offcenter.
From memory I dont think I've ever played around of golf with you (so its quiete hard for you to juge my skill level) and I do appreciate the fact you aknowledged the fact you may be wrong, but at a recent lesson we went out onto a fairway and I hit drive after drive and measured them using one of those GPS systems and including roll I was always around the 275 area.

Im a High School golfer and normally in my matches the first thing metoined on the first tee isn't "What do you shoot?" but how far do you hit it? my opponents on average say about 260 then they ask me I say well 220 but alot of the time I not only out drive them and in the fairway but beat them. So it could be trying to hold up to your macho persona and telling people you hit the ball a long way and then not backing it up I feel that hitting it long really isnt the biggest deal in the game its about hitting it straight and consistent.

I'm of the opinion:

And it matters, why?

There are people who can't hit over 220. There are people who think they hit 300, and there are people who DO hit 300+. Why the waste of negative energy worrying over any of these groups?

If your playing partner, or forum poster hits it further than you do, does that make your game any harder or easier? Because you hit a bit shorter, someone else can't possibly outdrive that?

Seems to me a futile conversation, a waste of energy, and maybe even a bit of envy.

JMO, though...

Oh, it can be done... But one of the things that gets me is the course yardage markers... The guy who runs my local course had a go a the pro tour (not the PGA, but a smaller tour) many years ago and he says that the average is about 240 or so for a good amatuer... But, I drive the green (well, around it anyway) on two short par 4's on the course, one is listed at 278, the other 288 ... So how can that be? My buddy is about 5'9" maybe 160 lbs at the time and he drove the green on number 1 which is marked 310 yards... so is it really only a 240 yard hole? doubt it...

I went out with a friend who I hadn't played golf with in about 5 years. He was talking befor hand that he should get a new driver because he was playing with an old club. He's playing with the old Taylor made 200 series with a steel shaft. Our cart had the gps nav. system on them so you knew exactly how far you hit and he was averaging 295 to 305 all day. I told him by about the 5th hole that he was a f#%43 A$$hole if he got another driver. BTW..he is only about 5ft 6 150 pds.

Here is my deal, if we were to go to the range and drive for dollars I would take all comers and from what I have read here Rock and Ez might be taking some cash from me, but otherwise I could make money off just about every one else. Now when we move over to the first tee and start betting a skins game, so far there isn't but about 3 people I have read that I would give myself any shot in hell of beating. I can cream the ball off the tee, and even though I am in the fairways at least a third of the time(43% actually) it does me no good when I can't seem to hit my Fairways or Irons worth a crap. Then once I am on the green, as you may have read in another post of mine I am averaging 2.3 putts per hole, and I have yet to sink a birdie putt.

My point is Driving the balls is a lot of fun, but it ain't golf. There are a lot more aspects to this than hitting a bomb off the tee.

bdcrowe said:
I'm of the opinion:

And it matters, why?

There are people who can't hit over 220. There are people who think they hit 300, and there are people who DO hit 300+. Why the waste of negative energy worrying over any of these groups?

If your playing partner, or forum poster hits it further than you do, does that make your game any harder or easier? Because you hit a bit shorter, someone else can't possibly outdrive that?

Seems to me a futile conversation, a waste of energy, and maybe even a bit of envy.

JMO, though...

Couldn't agree more. Post of the week.

R35

Doc, If we teed off together

You would be awed until I had to hit my first Iron shot at that point you would be shocked, "How can this Idiot hit the driver so well, and miss the Irons so badly?":)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, you watch a long drive contest and those guys (with their 6 foot shafts) are winning with drives of usually 330-340. Not many hit them all in the fairway. Now if we have all these 300 hitters why aren't there some new faces in the long drive contests?

I believe probably everyone here could hit a drive over 300 yards if you could just wind up, close your eyes, and swing away (and whiffs didn't count) and it didn't matter where it landed. My point is, if you only count drives in the fairway, there aren't many 300 hitters around.

I have driven the ball several times well over 300. I just never verified the distance, which really would have been easy. I could have used the car's odometer as it was on the holes where the road runs parallel to the fairway. That asphalt really tears up the ball.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking