• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4w..anyone use 1?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like having a variety of clubs to choose from...unless they are those damn evil hybrids...& I have been thinking about picking up a 4w but not sure if I would actually use it. I currently use both my 3 & 5w's quite a bit & there is about a 30 yd gap between the 2 clubs that I would like to close up.

Any decent 4w's out there? I like my Burner 3w but not sure TM even makes it in a 4w. The 5w V-steel is a club that for some reason I can always count on for a nice fairway shot, sometimes I will slice or even have the dreaded topping of the 3w which is totally my fault but I will blame the club anyways.

I just bought a Nickent 7w and have had great success with it so far, I believe they do make a 4w.

A Taylormade 16.5 V-steel knocked my 3 and 5 out of the bag. I now go Driver - 4W - Hybrid - Hybrid.

I have a v-steel 4 wood that I picked up in a used bin locally for $50 and it's been a great club for me.
I usually hit my driver from the tee, so I have no interest in carrying another club that's only good (meaning I can hit it well most of the time) from the tee. I'm not going to hit a 12*-14* 3 wood well off the deck - not constistenly anyway, so I don't carry one.
The lowest lofted wood I can hit well off the deck is around 16-17*.
Dumping the 3 and 5 woods in favor of a 4 wood can open up room on the other end of the bag for another wedge too.
How far do you hit your 3i hybrid? is it that different than your 5 wood?
For me, the next club in line is a 21* fairway wood/ hybrid - and the distances work out pretty nicely

If I were in the market for a new 4 wood today, I'd probably order a Wishon 949 16.5*. But I'd also look around for a Tour Edge Exotics CB2 in 16.5*. Or possibly, go with a Geek DCT 5 wood hand-selected to 17*
If you go the used route, TM V-Steels and Cleveland Launchers were both available as 4 woods.
My brother-in-law has a Nike 17* (it's yellow on the bottom and he hits it great, but because he's lefty, that's all I know about it)

I like having a variety of clubs to choose from...unless they are those damn evil hybrids...& I have been thinking about picking up a 4w but not sure if I would actually use it. I currently use both my 3 & 5w's quite a bit & there is about a 30 yd gap between the 2 clubs that I would like to close up.

Any decent 4w's out there? I like my Burner 3w but not sure TM even makes it in a 4w. The 5w V-steel is a club that for some reason I can always count on for a nice fairway shot, sometimes I will slice or even have the dreaded topping of the 3w which is totally my fault but I will blame the club anyways.

I just picked up, well about a month ago, a Taylor Made R7 TP 17.5* 5w. Of course Taylor Made calls it a 5w but their lofts are so strong its really a 4w. Anyway I reshafted it with a VS Proto 80-s and it knocked my Sonartec 3w and Royal Collection ( Japanese parent co to Sonartec ) 5w out of the bag...

get a burner 5wood. im sure itll be longer and the vsteel and will close the gap nicely.

The Cleveland Launcher 4w I picked up about 18 months ago (paid $30 and got it reshafted with a Prolaunch Blue) was probably the best investment I ever made on equipment. It's lasted longer in my bag than any other club I've owned, most days I can hit it as long and much straighter than most of my playing partners drivers, much easier to hit off the fairway than a 3w, and works perfectly with my set-up regardless of whether I go witha 4w then 7w or a 4w then 19* hybrid.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 17° Titleist 4 wood. The last shaft I put in it is a tiny bit too stiff for me, so I'm seriously considering replacing it with another hybrid.

I have a Ping G2 5w where at 17* it is more of a 4w regardless of the label. When I finally accepted this, and mentally got over the whole number label I finally pulled my 3w out of my bag. Probably further explains why I never really cared for my 13* 3w and will never put it back in my bag, as it plays like a 2w.

While I would not go so far as to recommend the G2 as the one to buy, nor would I buy it if I had to do it over again. I will say that Tour Edge makes their Exotics and CB2 models in a 16.5* 4w, and if the price ever drops down to what I find suitable, I will likely replace my 17* 5w, and 20* 7w with 16.5* and 21* TEE's. Although from what I understand and what I have heard, they play a little longer than most similar lofted FW's, not sure if that is good or bad in filling the gaps in your bag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520