• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice On Buying First Starter Set

Mrlssi

Reaction score
I just recently got into golfing, and currently use my dads old set of clubs. I cant remember what they are off the top of my head, but there quite old. I wish to buy my own starter set of clubs, because it seems like this clubs are out-dated.

I want something that isn't cheap, but isnt very expensive either. I currently have $81 saved up, and I'm willing to spend around $150 when I get the money.

Could someone tell me what I should buy, and possibly some links with it? It would help a bunch.

Thanks!

Head to the local sports store that holds a little bit of everything for sports, because you can usually find a better "starter" set there. Swing the clubs, and choose the ones you like. For a driver I'd probably just get one fairway wood that's a 5 or a 3, mainly because they are more forgiving and better to start off on. Get the swing down first.

Great to hear you are spending your own money though, way to take the initiative. If you don't mind my asking, how old are ya?

I just turned 15 on the 25th of June.

I have a 'Golf Discount' store nearby, along with Dicks Sporting Goods, WalMart, and Target.

I might check them all out soon, to check out some prices.

No shame in buying a used set that fits you better. We all like new stuff, for the feeling of ownership it gives us. And that's fine, when you have the money to buy what you want. You don't, so you should consider compromising. Head to a local "Play It Again Sports" in your area. They usually have some higher quality clubs at substantial savings. And they will let you try before you buy. Your folks just need to give them a credit card for a deposit.

Ill have to see if I have one of those around.

I also just got around $58 from working around the house, along with grandparents money when I visted them just a few days ago. So, I now have $139. I dont want to spend it yet, because I want to continue saving.

I pulled out my parents clubs last night, and there pretty decent clubs. The driver is more updated, and feels great when swinging it. I still have to work on my swing a bunch. Theres a bunch of old golfballs which I was using last night with the Pitching Wedge to chip balls into a small bucket. The grass needs cut, so I guess it simulated some high rough.

I guess I'll, keep ya posted! I would LOVE to hear more advice before I go out and buy my first set, but this post isnt getting many posts or attention.

Thanks for the advice!

I just bought my sister an MD Golf Starter Set. I got it for £130 (cost-price), but you could pick 'em up for not much more than that. They are excellent & give you everything you need to play with including woods, hybrids, irons, bag, putter & wood h/covers. Superb..!

Mrlssi said:
Ill have to see if I have one of those around.

I also just got around $58 from working around the house, along with grandparents money when I visted them just a few days ago. So, I now have $139. I dont want to spend it yet, because I want to continue saving.

I pulled out my parents clubs last night, and there pretty decent clubs. The driver is more updated, and feels great when swinging it. I still have to work on my swing a bunch. Theres a bunch of old golfballs which I was using last night with the Pitching Wedge to chip balls into a small bucket. The grass needs cut, so I guess it simulated some high rough.

I guess I'll, keep ya posted! I would LOVE to hear more advice before I go out and buy my first set, but this post isnt getting many posts or attention.

Thanks for the advice!

Keywords were "grass needs to be cut", that sounds like potential earnings to me.

Hey great birthday, 1 day after mine.

Sounds great!

Im thinking about cutting the grass before my dad gets home, so he'll be suprised. But, my mom isnt home now, so I dont want to run the lawnmower when no ones home. Rather be safe than sorry!

Also, how much would 130 Euros be when translated into US Dollars? I live in the US, so I dont really know what that would be here. Tonight I might run out and look at Golf Discount and Dicks Sporting Goods for a starter set.

I also have a question:
Would buying seperate clubs instead be wiser than buying a whole set? I've seen some people do that, including my grandpa. He bought a whole set, then bought a nice hybrid driver I think it was for a bunch of money to upgrade the driver in the set. Would I want to do that with my dads old set instead of buy a whole set?

Thanks!

Depends on what the old set is more than anything.

Well, if you're looking for an old set of club's that are great, go for Ping Eye 2s, if you can find them for a good deal.

To tell you the truth, I think my dad has the Ping Eye 2s.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427