• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Altitude, how much effect does it have on carry

bryguy

Reaction score
Just got back from a week at the in laws in the NC mountains. Played the muni course there. It is about 2500 or so feet above sea level. How much effect does that altitude have on the carry with the golf ball. I noticed that everything seemed at least one club longer, and driver and 3 wood were way longer than normal. I think on almost every par 5 I was hitting either a 6 or 7 iron into the greens. Just am curious as to would that amount of altitude have such a great effect on the ball flight?

Either that or you really ate your Wheaties!!

Yeah, the higher you go, the thinner the air = less resistance for the ball.

It definitely has an effect on the ball. The air is much thinner and thus gives less resistance to the ball. Kind of like how the ball flies father in hot, thin summer are and doesn't carry for crap in cold, thick air.

Thin air in high altitude also screws with how vehicles perform... especially high performance ones that are carborated... race cars and motorcycles and such... have to be tuned for it and lose all kinds of horse power. High altitude can do some funny things.

But by the same token... 2500 ft. isn't all that high... maybe you were just smoking it ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Slick, not sure. I mean I hit a 3wd 277 yds(measured with the skycaddie GPS). I have never done that before. I was thinking that the altitude was not that much either. Just kinda weird couple of rounds up there.

Attitude is very important to carry. If you have a good attitude, you get more carry. I think. I've always found the mountains put me in a good mood, so the ball carries more at altitude because of my attitude.

Or the air could just be thinner.

Kevin

I was actually going to say exactly what Esox did. If you think you're allowed to hit the ball longer, you usually will.

High altitude can actually be a poor or inconsequential influence to golfers with average swingspeeds, though. Backspin is what keeps the ball in the air for a longer period of time for average swingers, and air density allows the ball to "grab" better and stay in the air. Thinner air = a flatter ballflight that won't stay up, or rather, the backspin is much less effective.

So if you were noticing a substantial difference in distance, you may want to experiment with lowering your ball spin at normal altitude.

Or just realize you can pound it anywhere ;)

This is from Golfballselector.com

How does altitude affect golf ball distance?

Distances increase significantly as the altitude increases. This effect is increased as launch angles increase. i.e. lower launching players will get less benefit.

I live and play at 7100 feet in the Rocky Mountains. When I go to lower altitude I notice about a half club less distance on average.

I was actually going to say exactly what Esox did. If you think you're allowed to hit the ball longer, you usually will.

High altitude can actually be a poor or inconsequential influence to golfers with average swingspeeds, though. Backspin is what keeps the ball in the air for a longer period of time for average swingers, and air density allows the ball to "grab" better and stay in the air. Thinner air = a flatter ballflight that won't stay up, or rather, the backspin is much less effective.

So if you were noticing a substantial difference in distance, you may want to experiment with lowering your ball spin at normal altitude.

Or just realize you can pound it anywhere ;)
I had no preconceived notions about being able to hit the ball farther. It never occured to me till I got on the first par 5(453 yds from the middle tees) and hit my driver and had 130 yds into the green. I was like what in the world, how did I hit the ball that far? I mean I have longer than average length( not super long, but I am generally longer than most folks I play with), but not 325 yd length. Kinda had me scratching my head.
That is the thing the SUX, my driver spin is right around 2500 or so, which is supposedly ideal. It is just kinda weird. Maybe my weight training and swing work is starting to really pay off. :p:p

I'm willing to bet you were just stroking the ball... and while the altitude might have helped a little, probably not as much as you'd think.

For instance the 325 tee shot you mentioned. I'm willing to bet you are capable of 300-310 in normal conditions... not so say you AVERAGE that by any means... but I'm sure you've poked a few out that far. Then the altitude could have accounted for that little extra 10-15 yards. Just a theory! :thumbs up:

Anytime we go to places with higher altitudes, I honestly do not notice much of a difference. Maybe a little more with my irons and wedges. Possibly because I do not hit the ball a terribly long way.

Let's be clear though - the balls flies longer in hot weather because the ball is warmer, and compresses more. Has nothing to do with the air. Temperature does not affect air "thickness".

Let's be clear though - the balls flies longer in hot weather because the ball is warmer, and compresses more. Has nothing to do with the air. Temperature does not affect air "thickness".

Umm... sure it does. Hot air expands and is less dense....

I think it is 2 fold. One, the ball is warmer and reacts better to being hit, and the air is hotter and less dense. Slick, I like your last explanation the best. That is what I'll use.

Umm... it's gravitational pull guys, not just air density. Altitude effects it a $hitload. Why do you think balls fly out of the park at Coors Field?

According to the models I've seen it's about 30yds. carry for my driver in Denver vs. Rhode Island. We are right at sea level and according to Google earth I play holes that are below sea level.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520