• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

An interesting experiment

Matthew_22 said:
I just used this method a few days ago and had pretty good results.

Now I am just happy to consistently break 100, so I decided to treat all bogeys as pars. (4 shots for par 3 etc)

I left the driver in the bag and only used the 3-wood from the tees, only swinging at about 60%. It turned out I hit it in the sweet spot almost every single time, and many of the shots went just as far as my drives.

I actually had 4 pars even though I was aiming for bogeys. I usually only ever get 2 or 3 pars in 9 holes.

There was just one hole though where everything went down the drain. It was a par 5, and I got a 12. I don't know what happened, I just zig-zagged from one side of the fairway to the other.

But I'm still pretty happy with a 52. I mean if it wasn't for that one hole I would have gotten a great score! Plus I felt like I was in more control, not just hoping that things turn out well.

Keep it up. That feeling of control will help you hit better shots, which will lead to better scores, which will make the game more fun. Leave the driver out of your bag for a while. Play the 3-wood off the tee, or as Augster pointed out, whatever you have the most confidence in.

Very good strategy and one that will continue to help as you add clubs and more "play for par" holes.

Good course and game management can save most players a good number of strokes yet many (myself included at times) go for broke far too often.

I've now gotten to where I hit driver on only 4 holes most of the time. Maybe 6 depending on wind, etc.... this has made my scores much more dependable (fewer bad rounds) and gotten me some very good scores (for me) when the short game is working.

P_102

This is why I like ST. You guys have meaningful golf discussions full of substance and great advice. I love reading these types of posts - they are really helpful for hackers like me :)

EnglishGolfer said:
Weel my round is due on Sun and I'm playing at the Nicklaus designed Carden Park so I really will need to think my way round (which is a shame coz it's really not my strong point, I'm regretting saying I'd do it now
icon10.gif
)

How did it go, EG? I know what what you mean about "regretting saying it". That first time, on the first tee, I was looking at the five clubs in my bag and saying to myself, "self, what have you gotten into?" But that made it all the more eye-opening when I started scoring better than I had in a long time.

Just wondering what your results were.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422