• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone burning coal this winter?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Reaction score
Because of a scary high (until recently) oil price, my wife and I decided to utilize the coal insert in our chimney. After a little trial and error, mostly error, I think that we have a pretty nice flame going to support the oil burner in heating our home. Its a learning curve, but its fun and rewarding. Does anyone have any tips or insight to use coal to heat?

Coal??
Are you the last person in the USA using it? Do you pick up a load in your Model T or the Stanley Steamer?;)

a coworker of mine recently sold a coal stove that was in his house for like $1200 - apparently, there's a bunch of people using coal or converting them to burning pellets to avoid the $4.50+/gal oil prices - thankfully the prices have come down a bit, but all the stove places were sold out

Coal??
Are you the last person in the USA using it? Do you pick up a load in your Model T or the Stanley Steamer?;)

LOL. Cost-wise per BTU it is about 300% more cost efficient. It gives me something to do during the winter, and I can keep it 72 degrees in the house, instead of the 67 it usually is with just oil. We got 300 gallon in July, and it was $4.02. That's $2500 per year for us. Using coal to suppliment should cut the oil in half, which is great at $4, but not as great at $2. Whatever. When I build a new house, it will get geo-thermal.

Are you burning anthracite?

Coal??

57% of the people using electricity to heat their homes are burning coal to do so. Not to mention that the same percentage of those fancy plug-in hybrid cars that people are drolling over will be coal-powered, too.

Google "electricity fuel" and you can find amazing numbers of people who actually think electricity is a fuel. More evidence that our educational system belongs in the third world.

Electricity here. Folks using wood.

57% of the people using electricity to heat their homes are burning coal to do so. Not to mention that the same percentage of those fancy plug-in hybrid cars that people are drolling over will be coal-powered, too.

Google "electricity fuel" and you can find amazing numbers of people who actually think electricity is a fuel. More evidence that our educational system belongs in the third world.

Can you elaborate?

electricity is a form of energy and not a fuel...fuel is what can be used to generate electricity (in terms of coal, oil etc)

The first power plants were run on water power or coalnand today we rely mainly on nuclear,natural gas, hydroelectric, and petroleum with a small amount from solar energytidal harnesseswind generators, and geothermal sources.

Yes sir, and I think I just killed the sucker. I'm playing with it too much.
LOL....How much are buying at a time and how are you hauling it? I work with coal myself. We bring it in buy the rail car.

So much for going green..........

LOL....How much are buying at a time and how are you hauling it? I work with coal myself. We bring it in buy the rail car.

I got two ton this time, and hauled it in the dump trailer that my pop has. I made a bin out of treated, and can dump it right in.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520