• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Baffled...

Kilted Arab

Reaction score
What a weird game...

Took Friday off work and played a course in Dubai - a new track designed by Trent Jones jnr. Played there a few times and it's my favourite course out here, even more so now.

On the front nine I was my usual current hacking self and shot a 52. Enjoyed myself - good course, good company - just playing badly.

Then something happened. No idea what. Played the back nine in 39, 3 over par. My best nine holes ever. In my life. 6 pars, 1 birdie, 1 bogey and a triple bogey 7 on a par 4 after hitting into water. Played some duff shots, including a shank, but still went round in +3 for the back.

I've no idea what happened, there was no change of swing, no new thoughts, no break after 9 holes.

Weird. But, for the first time, I had a glimpse of what decent players must feel like after scoring well. May never happen again, but for 9 holes and in the clubhouse afterwards, it felt good!

Nah.....decent players take it for granted.

Congratulations!

String a few of those together and I'll revoke your membership to hackers anonymous. :)

Slingblade61 said:
Nah.....decent players take it for granted.

Congratulations!

String a few of those together and I'll revoke your membership to hackers anonymous. :)

Ha! Thanks!

I think I may retire now!

But, if I continue to play the game, and still score well, I won't forget where I came from. I'll remember my roots and will still speak with you and the rest of the guys.

LMAO!

Thank God!

I was so worried about that. ;)

Kilted Arab said:
I've no idea what happened, there was no change of swing, no new thoughts, ...

May never happen again, but for 9 holes and in the clubhouse afterwards, it felt good!

Sure you didn't snort a few lines on the 10th tee? :)

Actually I'm interested in what people think during a good round / spell. Take out the triple and you played 8 holes in level par. What were your swing thoughts (if any?). What was your mood, level of tiredness? Was it a bounce game for fun, or were you recording your score?

Talk us though it, shot by shot, both shots hit and how you were thinking.

Oh, and by the way, great score!

IrishGolfer said:
Sure you didn't snort a few lines on the 10th tee? :)

Actually I'm interested in what people think during a good round / spell. Take out the triple and you played 8 holes in level par. What were your swing thoughts (if any?). What was your mood, level of tiredness? Was it a bounce game for fun, or were you recording your score?

Talk us though it, shot by shot, both shots hit and how you were thinking.

Oh, and by the way, great score!

Cheers IG!!

At the risk of being a bore, here's some detail on my back 9.

After 9 holes I'd won 2 skins and was behind the pace. The 10th is a shortish par four but has a tight green, well protected with bunkers. I made GIR and 2 putted for par. The 11th is a bugger for me, mentally. Par three, raised tee, all carry - but a short hole, a 7 iron is more than enough for me. But my thoughts, despite my efforts, were ''here's another lost ball". Somehow I hit it flush and ended on the green about 30 feet away - 2 putt par.

And so it continued. No confidence, no confident thoughts but some decent recovery shots when it went wrong. The only disaster was losing a ball in the water on 16. Triple bogey. But parred 17 and 18, despite lack of confidence. I think my shot of the day was on 17, a par 4.

After 2 I was pin high but 30 feet off the green, up a slope with a bunker between me and the green. Green slopes away, towards water. Took a pitching wedge, opened face a bit and somehow flopped it where I wanted it, the short rough between bunker and green. That slowed the ball which rolled to 3 feet - 1 putt par.

Looking back now, I think after two or three pars I maybe spent more time over my shots, thinking and taking a couple of practice swings.

Dunno. That's the only thing I can think of. It'll prob go wrong this weekend, but I've had a little time in the sun!

KA:

Congrats on the great side...and I Hated reading about that triple...arrgghhh! Sometimes my best rounds are 'mindless' ones also..not really thinking about anything golfwise. Just letting it go wherever...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520