• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Question

Robbie101

Loving Life......
Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked many times but.......

Are harder or softer balls more forgiving to mishit shots?......
My guess would be softer balls.

Also, which ball do you prefer when it comes to either soft or harder balls?

I wouldn't put much stock in figuring out what balls is more forgiving. The angle of the face at impact imparts the same spin on any type of ball. If you slice it, it's going right regardless.

Stick to fixing the swing. The ball will follow your example. :D

R35

I wouldn't put much stock in figuring out what balls is more forgiving. The angle of the face at impact imparts the same spin on any type of ball. If you slice it, it's going right regardless.

Stick to fixing the swing. The ball will follow your example. :D

R35

I've tried all the supposedly straight flying balls. You know, the ones that are advertised to not slice or hook. Guess what, they still slice or hook if you mishit them. And most of them feel like your hitting a rock.

They are all the same shape so al react very similar.

A ball that is lower spin is low spin all around. The ball doesn't know if it is backspin or sidespin, all spin will be lowered.

That said, a good swing is a good swing, and a bad swing is a bad swing. It doesn't matter how high or low spin the ball is, you put a slice or hook swing on the ball, and you'll get a slice or hook. The lower spin ball may lower the amount of slice or hook a little (5 to maybe 10% is about all I'd expect), but it won't perform miracles. Not if it is USGA legal anyway. There are some non-USGA conforming balls ("Polaris" I think?) that can straighten the flight out quite a bit. But, USGA conformity demand symmetry, so in the end, it all comes down to your swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520

3. 15,301