• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Barbados....anyone ever been?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone ever been to Barbados? Any particular places to stay/see/avoid?

We originally thought New Zealand might be in our future, but it's just so bloody expensive to both get there and stay there. Friggin gas is over $5 a gallon.

Barbados was our next choice. We've (well, mostly me. I've been looking at pictures of chicks in bikinis on the web and pawning it off as "research") been researching the island and have a decent idea of where we want to go and stay, but it would be nice to get some other comments as they are warranted by ST members that might have been or know someone that has!

Or if you have a property down there that you wouldn't mind me walking around naked in, let me know about that too. ;)

Cheers guys,

R35

Why are you moving?

Been there - Banks beer is great. Did an excursion on a private catamaran. 2 couples not 50 people like you see on some tours. Snorkeled with turtles and enjoyed a nice feast.

Check out "The Boatyard" for a fun party like atmosphere. You can start the day there on the beach drinking and enjoying the sun, then party there in the evening.

never been to barbados but if naked is what your after try ST martin. Tho the dedicated nude beach is at orient bay by the nudist resort Nice bar and good food at the nudist resort (but my advice is dont order hot soup). ALL the beaches are open to the public and the ex and I found several beaches that were maybe a half mile long and totally deserted.

I think it was friar's bay where we drove up to the beach and no one on it except one gal swimming. parked the car and went into the bar on the beach. deserted. A few minutes later the gal swimming come up the beach to the bar, rinses off outside , reaches behind the bar and grabs her swimsuit and starts putting it on as she comes to our table and takes our drink orders. I dont think I saw ten women the whole time i was on the beaches wearing tops. Be careful about sunburn where the sun dont usually shine :)

only one course on the island and I didnt play it.

Hey Doug tell about the naked girl again, I LIKE that part.:)

mont86 said:
Hey Doug tell about the naked girl again, I LIKE that part.:)

LOL Actually all the nudity on the beaches is interesting for about 5 minutes, after that going around naked is no big deal, but is an incredible feeling of freedom. i found it far more spiritual and very little erotic. I wouldnt get my thoughts running too wild there Mont, the beach is open to everyone, all shapes sizes and ages, so next time you are in the walmart consider how interested you would be to see all of them naked. could be a scary thought ;)

• Staff
I'm looking for a non party atmosphere. We're gonna rent a car and see the island. If I wanted to go on vactation and spend it with 1000 other people, i'd take my shirt off and get drunk in the city park.

The villa we're looking at is in Speightstown and offers our own personal pool, the beach less than 100 yards away and a full kitchen that opens right onto the veranda.

I plan on drinking alot of beer. ALOT. Perhaps Barbados will get to see my wang. Apparently nudity is illegal in Barbados. You can't even go into many shops with just your bathing suit on, for both men and women.

I plan on wearing this. I'll take lots of pictures and post them here. :D

R35
bikini.jpg

DouginGA said:
never been to barbados but if naked is what your after try ST martin. Tho the dedicated nude beach is at orient bay by the nudist resort Nice bar and good food at the nudist resort (but my advice is dont order hot soup). ALL the beaches are open to the public and the ex and I found several beaches that were maybe a half mile long and totally deserted.

I think it was friar's bay where we drove up to the beach and no one on it except one gal swimming. parked the car and went into the bar on the beach. deserted. A few minutes later the gal swimming come up the beach to the bar, rinses off outside , reaches behind the bar and grabs her swimsuit and starts putting it on as she comes to our table and takes our drink orders. I dont think I saw ten women the whole time i was on the beaches wearing tops. Be careful about sunburn where the sun dont usually shine :)

only one course on the island and I didnt play it.

St Martin is a great island as well, lots to do there. Orient beach is awesome (not because of the nudity) but because of the great waves there for body surfing. They have an "Americas Cup" excursion on St Martin as well that allows you to participate in a yacht race. That would be fun!

If you want sheer beauty and paradise without too uch traffic, I'd recommend St Lucia. Stay at Sandals and get unlimited golf and scuba. The island is beautiful.

• Staff
I'm not one for all inclusives. The idea of paying into an offshore ownership group doesn't do much for me in terms of raping the local economy of money.

And at $400 a night at the Sandals, I'll take the $75 a night for the 1500 square feet and our own private pool, 150 yards from the Platinum coast beach and no one for 3 acres in any direction in a heartbeat.

I can make my own continental breakfast and golf 4 times a week for less in Bardados.

But to each their own. :D

R35

If you decide on Barbados, take a trip on the Silver Moon catamaran. And fill up on Banks beer, it's great!

VtDivot said:
If you decide on Barbados, take a trip on the Silver Moon catamaran. And fill up on Banks beer, it's great!

Will do.

Did you guys rent a car when there? I'm thinking it's a usefull tool.

R35

For golfing, I think that Barbados may be your best bet. I was there years ago when I was a kid, and still remember eating fried flying fish sandwiches. Really, really good. Also caught my first barracuda there. Great memories.

I did hear one or two bad reports recently from people who have gone and found the natives to be a bit nasty. I'll be interested to hear your take on it.

I will say that there are 3 islands that I would go to in the Caribbean without hesitation: St. Maartin (VT, we have the same tastes. We should definitely party), St. John, and Grand Cayman.

The Westin Grand Cayman has about the best beach in the islands that I have ever been to. I think there's only one golf course, tho, and they're still doing some rebuilding from one of the hurricanes that ploughed through a couple years back. I was there for a couple of days two months ago, and it was spectacular.

The Westin St. John is also a great place. Very quiet and upscale, fabulous beach, lush island. Best food I had in the islands was here. Again, one golf course, but there are a ton in St. Thomas, which is a 45 minute ferry away.

St. Maartin has a Dutch side and a French side, and both sides are very different. Definitely an island to spend a week at. There are like 25 beaches on the island, and each is more picturesque than the last. The French side has great food, and the Dutch side great nightlife. Sorry to say, I don't know the golf situation, as I was only there for a couple of days, and didn't get to play.

All 3 of these islands have no barbed wire, and little poverty--which is a big plus in my book. Accommodations outside of the major hotels can also be had easily (well, I don't know about St. John, but certainly the other 2) just like the villa set up you're describing.

Have fun figuring it out...it's a tough dilemma to have. ;)

I'll go look around to see if I have some shots of Grand Cayman. I'll post them in an edit if I do.

Farq,

In my reading, the Bajan's being nasty is common, but I think it can be curbed a bit by treating them as you'd want to be treated. I found the same thing in Jamaica, but once you started talking with someone, it turned out to not be the case. Unfortunate that first impressions kill it alot of the time.

Something as simple as starting off a conversation with "Good Morning/Good Afternoon" goes a long way in the islands...

R35

The people were really nice when I was there, Rock, but there was lots of poverty back then. Generally I do ascribe to your notion, tho; I find people often live up/down to your expectations of them.

My brother stopped there a couple of years back on a cruise, and he seemed to think it was fine. My sister and her husband also were back, but that was probably 10 years ago, so the data is old.

Lotsa lime and fried fish on that island, and the rum punch did flow. The Green Monkey course is world class, no? Isn't that where Tiger got hitched?

Green Monkey was closed last year for reconstruction, I have read. Golf is pretty reasonable there too, about $50US for a round, plus club rental. I might have to slip out for some "more limes and fish", which would take me 4-5 hours I'm guessing...

My biggest concern is the lack of road signs and the state of the roads. Apparently, it's pretty bad. We're gonna rent something like a Yaris cuz they're so cheap on gas, but maybe something like a 4WD Montero might be worth it. Gas is like 78 cents a litre down there right now....I wish...

Rhum, eh? Sounds good. There are DAYS of time from my Jamaica trip that are just a blurr, if not 100% gonzo from my memory...

R35

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427