• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bear Trace - Harrison Bay

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Reaction score
I played a wonderful course on Saturday. About 20 miles south of Chattanooga is a reservoir called Harrison Bay that contains a state park, and part of the park is a Jack Nicklaus designed course called Harrison Bay. This course is part of the Bear Trace, which is Tennessee's answer to the RTJ Trail in Alabama. The courses are all managed by the Tennesee State Park system, and if the course I played reflects the quality of the other courses, then I am definitely planning a week-long trip to play all five.

The course features wide fairways, big bermuda greens, risk/reward bunkering - all in absolutely perfect condition - and is routed through gorgeous stands of pine and hardwood trees, with nary a car or dwelling in sight the entire time. The holes are all separated by dense stands of trees, many of them bordering on the beautiful reservoir, giving the course a great sense of isolation and tranquility. Wildlife abounds. We saw three deer, several raccoons, a fox, and numerous birds.

We played from the blue tees (6545 yards, slope 128) which was a very comfortable distance, since much of the yardage is put into the par 5's. There are four sets of tees, up to 7313 yards. They don't rate the tips, but the next set back (gold tees) show 7111 yards, 74.9, slope 136). Plenty challenging for the better player, I would think.

The best part is the cost. Because it is a state facility, the round cost $50. Folks - this is a $100-$150 course anywhere else. Tremendous bargain. Uncrowded. Laid-back and friendly staff. Beautiful condition. Nicklaus design, with a great variety of holes, some quite memorable. I loved every minute of it.
Harrison Bay3_small.jpg
Harrison Bay1_small.jpg
Harrison Bay2_small.jpg
Harrison Bay4_small.jpg

This is right in my backyard (I live 45 minutes from Chattanooga) and I didn't realize there was a golf course there. I've been mountain biking in Harrison Bay numerous times, but I guess the way I come in I don't go by the course. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for the post!

Joey

nice looking course, but how in the hell doesn one play golf without slipping and tearing a sack in converse?

nice looking course, but how in the hell doesn one play golf without slipping and tearing a sack in converse?

Ve-r-r-r-y carefully...I wondered the same thing myself when I saw him show up in those. LOL.

This is right in my backyard (I live 45 minutes from Chattanooga) and I didn't realize there was a golf course there. I've been mountain biking in Harrison Bay numerous times, but I guess the way I come in I don't go by the course. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for the post!

Joey

Let us know what you think once you've played it. I know you'll like it as much as I did.

Cool course!! sssmokin and I found the Kentucky Damn courses were very nice and about $25 to play. Not this nice though. (Razor plays barefoot!) :D

(Every time I hear Chattanooga I picture Yosemite Sam saying "the Yankees are in Chattanoogy?") :D

You guys didnt know?

Chuck Taylor is coming out with his line of golf shoes.
athroughtheloops.typepad.com_through_the_loops_images_golf_1.jpg

I am shocked he didnt slip and really hurt himself in converse!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520