• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Before the Scramble

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warbirdlover hoping to get lots of birdies in the days' Waushara CC "Early Bird Open" scramble. Unfortunately our best hope, zaphod, couldn't make it so we played with three......WBL, sssmokin, and Razor. We sucked and shot a 74. Winning team supposedly shot a 57. Yeah, right. 15 under par (15 birdies in 18 holes?????????). Oh well, cheating is normal in these for the hacks I guess.
birdhouses 002.jpg

Don't feel bad, I play almost every year in a "vendor-customer" scramble. Pretty much the same 50-75 guys/gals play every year and the tournament organizers do a pretty good job of making sure the teams are evenly matched. We're mostly all hacks with 10-30 handicaps with the few low-mid single digit players thrown in. Most of the times there will be a tie and 5-6 teams within a stroke of winning so often it comes down to a tie breaker on a hole by hole basis. One year my team got on a roll and we shot 61 (-11) which is usually good enough to win or be in the running at least. Later at the award dinner, we found out the winning score was 55!

As it turns out, the winning team had a ringer -- the #1 guy on the University of Missouri golf team. The guy was like a +2 or +3 handicap and lonnnnnnnnnnnng. Their team was hitting drives and half wedges into almost every par 4 and putting for eagle on every par 5. The guy won the long drive hole by almost 30 yds. It was insane.

Oh, and how the winning team described how he got on the team? "His dad is our UPS delivery guy and we invited him -- but at the last minute he couldn't play so he sent his son to play instead." :rolleyes:

Yeah, right. :laugh:

Sunday we played 18 at the other Course here: Two Oaks North. Had a blast, the weather was beautiful, and didn't shoot too bad for this early in the year. This weekend was the first time I've been able to play since we went to Kentucky the end of March and played in frigid temps. It was great. :)

He had a tooth pulled a couple of days before, and got a "dry socket" out of the deal. He went through a whole tube of ambusole on the course. They were lucky he was occupied by that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520