• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner at golf - advice?

VoteWhitey4Prez

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Zach. I recently came into possession of my grandfather's old clubs*. I always wanted to learn, but I really don't know how to golf at all; I have gone twice but since I have never had any training, it was just me swinging around like a mad man. I am 21 and in college, and in the Fall I am going to take a golf class offered at my university. I assume it is geared towards beginners, but I don't want to look like a complete idiot out there. Any advice, tips, ect.? Thanks.

*Just in case you may/may not be interested, the clubs I have are as follows:
1,5,7 Woods: Callaway "Big Berthas" (not "Great Big", or "Biggest", just the original kind)
3,4,5,6,7,8,9 irons + pitching wedge + sand wedge: Ping "Zings"
Putter: A slightly rusty thing called the "Spider" by a company called Confidence Golf. Never heard of them before.

We all begin at some point, get out there and have fun. Maybe attend a driving range, or get some beginner lessons before hand. Other than that, have fun.

force yourself early to use a proper grip

the earlier you use lessons, the easier the game becomes...

Drinking makes the game more funner...

Seriously? Take it easy, go at your own pace, and compare yourself to no one but yourself.

So how long did it take, on average, to get alright at golf? I don't think I'll get good right off the bat of course, but competent?

So how long did it take, on average, to get alright at golf? I don't think I'll get good right off the bat of course, but competent?

That depends completly on the person, generally people who have good hand eye co-ordination and play other sports will learn pretty quick. By the way chances are you'll suffer from a slice at first until you learn how to hit the ball hard properly, but that will soon go and you'll end up buying new clubs every week- for fun- like a few people on here (you know who you are) :laugh:

I am a high handicapper too. Lessons, lessons, lessons. My local driving range offers 6 group lessons for $150.

Driving range time is good.

From what little I know, those clubs aren't too bad for a newbie.

From what little I know, those clubs aren't too bad for a newbie.

Yeah, I don't know much about what clubs are better than others, but I tried to do some research online. I found a lot of good reviews about the Zings. I mean, I have heard of Ping and Callaway, and I'm not even really a golfer yet, so I guess that is something. I can't find anything on that obscure putter, though.

Then again, I could have the greatest clubs ever made and still not be any good if I don't know what I'm doing on the golf course.

Spend your first year just learning a few fundamentals and don't worry about competence. Pay close attention to grip - it's always vital to get the grip right else you'll have many uncomfortable rounds after lessons remedying an already grooved incorrect grip (by god, I remember my first shots hitting with an interlock as opposed to a baseball grip - painful stuff!).

And don't forget to learn "golf etiquette". Who putts first, not walking in someone else's line etc. Most other golfers don't mind playing with a beginner if they know these rules....

And picking up a rule book wouldn't hurt either to read in your free time.

:laugh:

Yeah, ettiquette and rules are a big part of the class that is offered at my school, but you're right about the rule book. I have a gift cirtificate to a book store laying around somewhere...

As far as the whole right grip thing goes, what is the right grip, anyway? I don't know if this helps, but I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall (sorry to the people on the Metric system) and my hands are pretty big, if that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520