• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Ball?

I know this "Golf Ball" thread goes on every 4-5 months, but there seems to be something curious about them though. Each time, less and less people choose the Pro-V1 as their ball (none by far this time). Does this mean other companies have being improving their balls that much or people have starting to "try" different kind and brands of balls other than Titleist the "number one ball in golf"?

I think it's a combination of both. I recently tried the Callaway Tour i and love everything about it. The cover lasts longer than the ProV1's and their feel is superb. I get the spin I need around the greens.

I know that I, for one, began trying other balls because I don't want to pay $45 dozen for ProV's. I'm still reeling at paying $40 for the Tour i's

I think other companies have caught up to the ProV1 standard, so to speak. I think some pasted it, and others fall short.

However, the pricing has the most to do with it. I'd much rather play the Callaway Tour IX over the ProV1, simply for the price.

That said, I also have 2 dozen 09' ProV1's sitting the closet and a sleeve in my bag. I'm a ball whore.

I play any old damn ball I find & only buy the cheap ones. Have tried ProV1's, Bridgestones, Nikes, etc etc. For myself none of them work any better than a cheapassed TiTech, Topflite XL5000, etc. I have played some of my best rds using supposedly inferior shitty balls.

I think a lot of it is marketing having a placebo affect on the player.

I play any old damn ball I find & only buy the cheap ones. Have tried ProV1's, Bridgestones, Nikes, etc etc. For myself none of them work any better than a cheapassed TiTech, Topflite XL5000, etc. I have played some of my best rds using supposedly inferior shitty balls.

I tried that.. Wasn't the case for me. Sure, I could hit a great shot with anything, and not being a consistent player, I'm sure the more expensive balls don't give me all the benefits.

But give me a Topflite XLHARDROCK, and a ProV1, and have me hit an identical shot into the green with a 8 iron, and the ProV1 will be a better shot, 98% of the time.

I'd personally lose the distance on my drives due to using a harder compression ball, but one that offers more spin and softer cover. It makes working the ball alot easier.

But I know what you saying Wi..My brother is a good golfer, and he doesn't care what ball he uses, but consistently complains when he can't hold the bentgrass greens that firm up here in the summer. He plays on bermuda all the time, and those shaggy POS greens hold anything where he plays.

This is genuinely incorrect. The BALL can actually change your shots MUCH MUCH more noticeably than a different head or shaft. A TopFlite XL and a premium ball are hugely different. BUT, they respond to different types of play. If you see a 100 yard approach shot with a TF to the green and you want to hit it 80 and let it roll, you might be able to do that with a sand wedge. With a ProV1 or B330S or iX or whatever, you'd most likely need to club down significantly, or change your shot, or just fly it there.

The premium balls excel at checking on shorter to mid-range shots. Cheaper balls DO NOT DO THIS unless they're balls MADE to do that, and they generally sacrifice some other element to achieve it. I played a Big Bertha Diablo ball -1 through 4 holes the other day and it was noticably runnier. I made perfect contact, landed the ball right where I wanted to, and it rolled 5 feet past the hole as opposed to stopping just short or IN the thing. I know a ProV1 would've stopped.

It also depends on the greens you play. You will have a VERY hard time stopping a Top Flite on a hard, fast green even with a short iron. If you play on soft greens where the ball makes a 2 inch crater in the green, spin is less noticeable, because the ball is going to stop anyway, and that big DOINK kills a lot of it.

It'd be interesting to have everyone on tour play a round of golf with a cheapo ball, or even the Top Flite FREAK. I think the scores would be very, very different. That, or you'd see a TOTALLY different game plan. Low runners all day long.

You CAN gain 15 yards with a different ball, or massively change your ball spin, or flight characteristics. But the yardage gains are quite extreme, and only REALLY apply to people who are really playing the WRONG ball to begin with.

There are some mid-price 3-piece balls available. The Bridgestone E6, the TM Burner TP, the NXT Tour (borderline price), and I THINK the HX Hot Bite are examples. I'd personally recommend the Burner TP if you want good performance at a good price. But there's a definite difference even between that Burner TP and the next step up.

You CAN play around a change like that, but it's certainly different. If you're short-sided with a Top Flite, say your prayers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520