• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Way To Groove A Swing

Hangfire

Reaction score
I've been working on my swing for the last few weeks, (haven't we all) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to groove my swing.

50 balls a day at the driving range or just get out there and play.

Which works best for you???

:usflag:BIG thanks to all you Vets!

1/2 swing wedges will groove your swing quicker than anything, IMHO.

Lately I have been warming up by swinging a 5 and 6 iron together. Then I put the 6 down laying straight and swing along the outside of it to keep my path straight. So far it has worked well, I have shot better every round since.

Just remember, you'll groove what you practice, so make sure you're practicing what you want to groove.

Swing the club until your hands bleed. Then when the blood dries, your hands will be welded to the club, it will become an extension of you, and you'll have no choice but to groove a swing.

You have to do both.

I'm a scratch golfer on the range. I can hit beautiful wedges and smoke my driver 340.

However, on the course, that wedge is 5 yard short and in the bunker and that 340 yard drive is 40 yards in the trees.

The range helps you understand and get a handle of your strengths ans weaknesses. The course is where you mix management, weather conditions, lie and everything else that can get thrown at you and how you measure up.

Most guys can hit the ball well. And most of them think they need to swing harder to hit the ball better. If they hit the range and understood that pure is better than power, they'd bring that knowledge to the course and play better.

Just remember that 50 balls at the range should translate to an hour on the putting green. The flatstick rules the kingdom of clubs.

R35

You can groove anything,ask Jim Thorpe.But unless you have enormous talent (like Jim Thorpe) and/or 40 hrs a week to practice,its more important as to WHAT you are grooving.Tiger works on basics,all the time,so should we.

Tiger works on basics,all the time,so should we.

Shit no! I saw Eldrick on the tube last week at a friggin baseball game, of all things! Faker!

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Swing the club until your hands bleed. Then when the blood dries, your hands will be welded to the club, it will become an extension of you, and you'll have no choice but to groove a swing.
This method, while extreme, is the way to go. You may need to hire someone to feed, cloth and wipe you but hey its a small price to pay to GET YOUR GROOVE ON!!:D
Seriously, as has been mentioned, work on grooving 100yrds in and putting practice is the key. A good day off the tee and you'll shoot the lights out!!

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:

So if you're out on the course, after... How do you change clubs?

The problem on the range is people don't know "how" to hit balls. They go out on the range for 20 minutes and think thats how you groove your swing. Most golfers will hit around 40 full swing shots per round over a 5 hour period. Thats 8 shots per hour. When you go on a range you hit 50 balls in half an hour. When you get into a groove you are like a robot hitting them down the middle. Most people don't take the time and practice right. After you hit a wedge, wait a minute then hit another shot.

Also when you are on the range don't try and hit them straight, play the shots you will need on the course. High 5 iron draw one shot then a knockdown cut 7 iron the next. No sence trying to hit them straight up the middle since you won't have that view on the course more then a few times per round.

Its not how many practice sessions you have, its how you use the time.

Rockford35 said:
Just remember that 50 balls at the range should translate to an hour on the putting green. The flatstick rules the kingdom of clubs.

R35

So you're saying hit a small bucket of balls then put an hour in on the putting green? Makes sense.

Im pretty new to the game myself. I started about 10 months ago and I am now a 13 handicap. The way I grooved a swing was just practicing with 1 club over and over until I had good swing mechanics. I worked alot on the fundamentals (alignment, grip, stance, and posture)

Like everyone said the best way to go about it is hit the range and bang as many balls as you can. You will get blisters on both your hands and a sore back but eventually you will learn not to grip so hard and your back will strengthen overtime.

I would not bother hitting half swings. You will get too used to bringing the club back half way and will have to retrain yourself to take a full back swing. Dont be tempted like every other range rat by using the driver and blasting slices and hooks. Just work on your game and ignore what everyone else around you is doing. Start with a 6 or 7 Iron and just keep working at it till you become pretty consistent with it.

The amount of practice helps but its perfect practice that makes a better golfer. Remember to work on the fundamentals and swing within yourself, which means you dont need to swing with all your power to make the ball go far. Also use video and a mirror when every possible.

Good Luck

10 months and a 13 handicap, you must be doing something right.:faintthud

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35