• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Big 3 Wood

Bubble Head

Reaction score
I have been improving on most of my clubs. All except the 3 wood. When I should be hitting the 3 wood, I hit a hybrid instead. The problem is hitting is cleanly at the end of a 43in shaft.

I have been thinking that a little bigger headed 3 wood would be more accurate from the fairway and would be a better driver replacement off the tee.

Many company web sites don't list head volume. I am looking for a shallow face. Right now the top contender is a KZG Gemini.

What do you all think?

Well a bigger head is harder to hit off the fw, but easier off the tee. So its either or really.

I say get a 15* hybrid.

I have been improving on most of my clubs. All except the 3 wood. When I should be hitting the 3 wood, I hit a hybrid instead. The problem is hitting is cleanly at the end of a 43in shaft.

I have been thinking that a little bigger headed 3 wood would be more accurate from the fairway and would be a better driver replacement off the tee.

Many company web sites don't list head volume. I am looking for a shallow face. Right now the top contender is a KZG Gemini.

What do you all think?

Consider knocking some length off of your current 3W (use lead tape on the head to maintain swingweight). I play my 3W at 42.5" and am more accurate and longer with it since cutting it down.

Also, larger/deeper head is a good choice if you plan on using it as a driver replacement but it will make it more difficult to hit from the fairway. Shallow heads (like any Adams' offerings) are much more easy to hit off the deck.

Lastly, if you're having trouble hitting a 3W then your best bet might be to replace it with a 4W or maybe not even carrying anything longer than a 5W.

I see you have a 17* hybrid. If you hit that well I really don't see a desperate need for a 3W anyway. It all depends on SS/BS and what not but I'd most likely have about a 25-30yd. difference at most between driver and a 17* hybrid. So you have what, about 6.5* between the driver and hybrid? To get right in between you'd be looking at a 13.5 to 14* 3W. That's never going to be an easy club to hit off the deck at that loft and might be too close to driver off a tee to be worth it. I personally use my 13* a lot but it's take a lot of practice to hit it off the deck with any success. Off the tee it's setup as an easy club for me to draw with the soft tip. Distancewise it's right on my driver's heels.

I will make another comment. I have no problem getting the ball in the air with my 3 wood from grass. If anything, I hit it too high. I can usually hit my driver off the deck. Not accurately, but in the air.

look at the shaft then, either a stiffer R or something else with lower launch.

I will make another comment. I have no problem getting the ball in the air with my 3 wood from grass. If anything, I hit it too high. I can usually hit my driver off the deck. Not accurately, but in the air.

Adams fairway woods are known for being some of the easiest woods to get in the air.

Ask yourself how you plan on using the 3W the most and go from there. Before buying anything though, I still say knock a 1/2" off the shaft and see how that goes.

I also recommend the low lofted hybrid.

I have mine playing at a 3W length and hit it like you wouldn't believe both off the tee and FW. sooo easy to hit!

When I was having all the problems with my 3w I had the same thoughts about getting a 3w with a bigger head. Not sure what the size of the KZG is, but after looking around and from what I saw, the biggest I saw was the Ping Rapture at 229cc. May be worth a look. For me, after thinking more about it, and more importantly thinking about the price tag on the Rapture, I decided to be content with only carrying a 5w, which is a strong 5w at 17*.

Actually if I were to buy another FW, it would likely be the 16.5* TEE 4w, just to give me a few extra yards. Although even at the $199 I now see it being sold for is still a little steep for what I am willing to pay for a FW. I doubt I will carry a 3w again. Although buying a 12-13* 460cc driver to replace my 10* may not be out of the question at some point.

The Rapture may be worth a look if the price tag doesn't scare you away, like it did me.

Go to a steel shafted R flex 3 wood...VSteel maybe...and see if anyone here might have one for sale... ;)

Seriously, steel shafted fw's are shorter and will give you more control...demo one and see what you think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520