• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blow Up Holes..

chollyred

Reaction score
How do you recover from a blow up hole? I should be a bogey golfer, however, I'm sitting here reviewing my scorecard from Saturday's round and had 5 holes that were blow ups (lost ball or OB). It seems that whenever I have a really bad shot, it's followed by another, and another, etc. until I finally get through with the hole. Saturday's was worse than usual, but I attribute a lot of that to not having time to warm up before the round and being the 1st round this year. I figure those 5 holes added 12 strokes to my score.

What do you do to recover from that 1st bad shot?

You hit it and forget it, kind of like a chick you don't want your friends to see you with.:)

I have 2-4 blow up holes most rounds, more than anything its my putting that kills me. I just want to get to where I am under 30 putts a few times, I would suspect that if I could do that I would at least score low 90's maybe high 80's.

I don't remember who to give credit too but it's good advice.

Never follow a bad shot with stupid shot.

Unfortunately I have to remind myself of this often.

I think that's why the Scots invented Scotch. :D

Carry a bottle with you at all times.

How do you recover from a blow up hole? I should be a bogey golfer, however, I'm sitting here reviewing my scorecard from Saturday's round and had 5 holes that were blow ups (lost ball or OB). It seems that whenever I have a really bad shot, it's followed by another, and another, etc. until I finally get through with the hole. Saturday's was worse than usual, but I attribute a lot of that to not having time to warm up before the round and being the 1st round this year. I figure those 5 holes added 12 strokes to my score.

What do you do to recover from that 1st bad shot?

I guess I'm lucky. I've had so many blowups through the years that they don't bother me any more. Just like water hazards... players who are new to the game can't clear a hazrd for love or money, but I don't even see them any more, other than to plan the play of a hole. They don't factor into my swing thoughts, and blowups don't either.

I had the ultimate blow up about 15 years ago in my club championship. Playing to a 9.8 index, I played the par 5 sixth hole in 12 strokes, then followed that up on the par 4 seventh with 10 more.That's 13 over in 2 holes, effectively playing myself out of a 72 hole event in 7 holes on the first day.... I ended the round with smooth 104, followed by 88 the next day. The in the 3rd and 4th rounds I shot 76-78 respectively.... go figure??? Since then, a bad hole here and there just doesn't bother me, as I have NEVER shot that high a score again.

I like to try to go into conservative mode, only hit shots I know I am capable of. Trying to make up for a triple thinking I can birdie the next 2 never seems to work out. I play my best when I accept I need to play for par on certain holes. I've never made an eagle on a par 5, why hit driver? I've made a ton of birdies by laying up around 100 and planning to do so on the teebox.

I like to try to go into conservative mode, only hit shots I know I am capable of. Trying to make up for a triple thinking I can birdie the next 2 never seems to work out. I play my best when I accept I need to play for par on certain holes. I've never made an eagle on a par 5, why hit driver? I've made a ton of birdies by laying up around 100 and planning to do so on the teebox.

Really? Never? That is surprising considering your handicap. Although it hasn't happened in about 6 years (not as long as I once was), I've eagled every par 5 on my home course more than once. I've eagled one par 4 (holed out from 100 yards in the fairway), and had 2 aces for eagle. I've also made a few eagles on par 5 holes away from my home course, which I sometimes deem a more satisfying accomplishment, since I don't know those courses as well. For years, I always had a "go for it" mentality, and while it did get me into trouble occasionally, most of the time I used reasonably good judgement, making a lot more birdies than bogies (or worse).

Nope. 1 eagle and it was a hole out on a par 4. Don't get me wrong, I've missed the putt more times than I care to remeber. I had 4 cracks at it this year 2 pars, 2 birdies, can't handle the pressure.
icon10.gif
Not to mention my 23* Sonartec and my 5W suddenly got a bad case of the pulls every time I could see the 200 marker on a par 5. I hit green with 5W, 5iron twice and a 6iron (HX hot, I then 3putted). Wait, I also hit with a 3W and 2 putted. Forgot that one.

I probably narrow it down more to blowup shots, and play it one shot at a time as opposed to one hole at a time. A stroke is a stroke is a stroke. I am usually pretty good at putting a bad shot out of my mind. Dropping a 20 foot putt on a par 5 to card a 9 is one stroke better than a 2 putt for a 10. I always try to leave a hole with momentum. No better feeling than the oppurtunity to get a par when your first shot is in the woods. I would rather have it than a 2 putt par with a GIR. Just look at the bad shots as an oppurtunity to recover.

Many people I play with will lie two over par and give up on the hole. Maybe not even line up a 10 foot putt and figure it is a bad hole so what does a snowman matter. You sink that 10 foot putt you have momentum going into the next hole. Finding confidence with golf is very important, whether it be sinking a 20 foot putt for double par, or tapping in the 2 inch putt for par. At the end of the round which one will you likely remember?

It works for me, but I usually do not think about my last shot little or less my last hole. I am usually concentrating very hard on the shot at hand.

you just have to shake it off. take a little bit more time with your next shot, that way you dont as dave said follow up a bad shot with a stupid one.

Doesnt really get to me anymore, ive done it so much that ive finally gotten through my head to punch out or just take a good bogey, or if i absolutely have to just make sure i NVR make worst then double.

Ive found the better you get the more willing you are to accept a good bogey every now and then.

Doesnt really get to me anymore, ive done it so much that ive finally gotten through my head to punch out or just take a good bogey, or if i absolutely have to just make sure i NVR make worst then double.

Ive found the better you get the more willing you are to accept a good bogey every now and then.

I am still shooting for bogey, I treat the pars as birdies. Yeah I still suck at this game but I am getting better.

Nope. 1 eagle and it was a hole out on a par 4. Don't get me wrong, I've missed the putt more times than I care to remeber. I had 4 cracks at it this year 2 pars, 2 birdies, can't handle the pressure.
icon10.gif
Not to mention my 23* Sonartec and my 5W suddenly got a bad case of the pulls every time I could see the 200 marker on a par 5. I hit green with 5W, 5iron twice and a 6iron (HX hot, I then 3putted). Wait, I also hit with a 3W and 2 putted. Forgot that one.

I can sort of sympathize... I had 3 eagles before I ever sank an eagle putt, in spite of quite a few opportunities. Those first 3 were all chip ins from 20 feet to 20 yards. Finally holed my first eagle putt from only 3 feet... ;)

I can sort of sympathize... I had 3 eagles before I ever sank an eagle putt, in spite of quite a few opportunities. Those first 3 were all chip ins from 20 feet to 20 yards. Finally holed my first eagle putt from only 3 feet...
]

Thats a tthing for me, ive actually made a fair amount of eagles, but maybe only 4 of them have been off the green/outside of 10 yards (two of which were hole in ones). Although i have made a good amount of eagles off of par5's, ive made 12 eagles in tourneys alone this past year...

You guys have to show me how to chip in more:p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427