• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

bonehead move at the range

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm at the range the other day and, while adjusting so as not to hit out of my own divots, I inadvertently get too close to my bag. Next down swing; wham! Needless to say I was pretty embarrassed and, because of that embarrassement, I didn't inspect my clubs all that well.

Fast forward to yesterday, I go to warm up with my PW and notice a big dent in the middle (length wise) where the sole and the face meet. The dent is a little on the sole and a little on the bottom of the face. UGH! I decided to take that moment and inspect the other clubs that are in that region of my bag. Lucky for me the only other damage is a slight tear in my hybrid 4 headcover that came with a small paint chip directly underneath it.

So, now it is decision time. I've been kicking around the idea of switching out my shorter irons with MP-60s to create a combo set. It seems like this would be a great time to start that project. (oh darn :) ) I just am now wondering if I should go with a 60 or 67 PW.

The MX-20 PW comes in at 46* while the 60 and 67 come in at 1 and 2 degrees weaker respectively. Making that switch would require a little juggling of the wedges though, but I have enough wedges in the garage to cover me (with only a little bending required).

This has me thinking; it isn't ho'ing if your replacing a damaged club, is it?

MP-67's are nice. I hit the whole set in the shop. Mark my words when I say I will most likely be playing these after one more year of the Miura's. I've even considered swapping my PW out for one. MP-60's? PW is ugly IMO. Worst club in the set. I'd be willing to bet most MP-60 owners have thought of swapping out for a blade PW more than once.

MP-67's are nice. I hit the whole set in the shop. Mark my words when I say I will most likely be playing these after one more year of the Miura's. I've even considered swapping my PW out for one. MP-60's? PW is ugly IMO. Worst club in the set. I'd be willing to bet most MP-60 owners have thought of swapping out for a blade PW more than once.

I agree that the 67 PW is better looking than the 60 PW but I'm actually leaning towards the 60. My reasoning is two-fold; a) the 67 makes the gap between 9i and PW just one more degree larger and b) I'm still 17 cap so even the slightest more offset would probably come in handy.

Hmm, sounds like I'll have some serious demo'ing to do.

You could hit it, I have confidence.
icon10.gif
MP-60 would not be a bad choice. I guess coming from an MX20 it would be the better choice rather than going all the way. I like to hit a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 shots with my PW. It's hard enough to put a little sidespin on a 47-48* loft, the CB eats up too much of it. Don't get me wrong though, on a full swing or out of the rough the perimeter weighting can be a godsend.

The jump from mx20 to the mp67 would be a pretty big jump and the mp60, while still a good size jump, would be a little easier to pull off.

Although, I do prefer the look of the 67 to the 60. I'm just afraid of biting off more than I'll be able to chew.

Well first off that's a wonderful reason to buy more clubs!

Second, I've heard lots of great things about MP-60s, but try it all out.

And last, how come you didn't hit your bag on your backswing? Ideally your backswing and downswing should be along the same path.

I have no idea why I didn't hit on the backswing, was struggling with my swing the entire day though.

Come to think of it, missing it on the backswing and hitting it on the downswing is almost more embarrassing that hitting at all.

Nah not really, few golfers achieve that level, was just playing devil's advocate. It's something I worked really hard on, and have still yet to acquire to my content.

The 32's, while they are older, i think are easier to hit than the 67's

I'm headed to the shop tomorrow to try out some different PWs. I'll try which ever models are available to order individually; MX-23/25, MP-6x/3x.

And if you get a set of 67s, and don't like them, I'll give you a cool Benjamin.

Went in to hit PWs today. Tested a MX-25, MP-32, MP-60, and MP-67. Had the heads taped up just enough so I wouldn't know which I was hitting. (okay, the 25 was obvious but the other three were identical at address) Anyway, I hit shots for about 20 minutes. I would hit 3-4 shots per club and then switch. They all had impact tape so I could see what my tendencies were with each club.

I was fortunate that my good swing showed up for the testing as I was making solid contact with all four clubs. About 2/3 of the way in I put aside the 25 and one of the MPs as neither club had the consistent impacts that the other two were having. I was actually shocked that, while all the clubs felt very similar, anyone would stand out that much from the rest but in the end there was a CLEAR winner... the MP-67. The best part is that the shop didn't make me custom order it and wait two weeks; the guy removed the tape and let me take it home. (damn, I love this little shop - GS would never had done that!)

That's awesome, now update your signature, and post pics!

That's awesome, now update your signature, and post pics!

Damn, I thought to update the signature with the fact that I yanked the Ping Hybrid out of the bag but didn't update the PW.

Sweet. You are a pioneer of a trend that I predict will run wild. Rock has actually bent an MP wedge down to a PW loft but you are the first to add from a different set, that I know of. I will be soon behind with a Tournament Blade Miura PW. I was going to order it next week but the prices will be going up on the Scratch wedges. I'm getting the CB-201 4iron and a 56* raw Scratch SW first.

As said, post some pics of that beauty. Also keep us informed on how it plays for you. I know it will be a lot better around the greens than the former, clunky, PW. Here's to many a chip-in...
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422