• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Burner irons

MyBluC4

Reaction score
Is anyone playing the new burner irons? Would like to know about their playability, feel, feedback to hands. If you are playing them, were they fitted for you or off the rack? Also, what iron set did you replace? A lot of people rave about their new sets. Not looking for that here, just a good understanding of feel and feedback. I'm currently playing a set Ping Be-Cu ISI irons. I'm an 11 handicap with an 8.8 GHIN index. While I love these sticks and have played them since '96, I think its time for some new technology.
Thanks for any help.

Since you asked for "any help" (;)) I thought I would chime in and tell you not to leave the MacGregor MT irons out of your "clubs to demo" list. I'm very happy with these sticks, and they belong on the short list of anyone of your ability looking at new irons.

Not a huge fan of TM irons, personally, but if you wait six months or so you will be able to them at a much better price when the next version comes out.

Seeing as your already playing Ping ISI's, you may want to take a look at the i10's. I just returned from a Ping fitting an hour or so ago and I am very impressed by the i10's. My current irons are the Ping Eye 2 +, and the i10's will definitely be a step up from them. For me, the i10 combined with the ZZ65 shaft help me lower the ball a bit, especially compared to the AWT shaft. To me, the AWT shaft with cushion insert felt fairly similar to Rifle 5.5's, but unfortunately provided the same higher ball flight for my swing.

I posted the following last Nov, the i10's didn't work out to well, but thanks for the thought:

Just got my i10's delivered. Had them fitted at GolfSmith. I'm an 11 handicap with a 9 index. For the last 11 years I played the Ping ISI's with stiff shafts. The fitting resulted in me moving to a steel R shaft with a one degree difference in the set up. Only used them once so far, but really like them. Ball fires off the face. Don't have swing hard with these to get distance and I really liked the feeling of control, especially in the mid irons.

Confession: Recently purchased and had fitted a new set of Ping i10 players irons as earlier stated. Everything I thought and hoped would help my game. Beautiful sticks. Played with them 4 times...right back to GolfSmith for a credit. Just didn't feel right in my hands or to my eye. Pulled out my old Ping ISI Berilyum Copper heads, apologized to them for the affair with the new sticks, polished them up and went out and shot an 81. Glad I kept them. Definitely feel they are, along with the original Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots, the best designed clubs crafted over the last 12 or 15 years.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520