• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying Golf Shirts

N

northstar40601

I am new to golfing, live in Kentucky USA, have no golf shirts and want to buy several golf shirts, however my visits to pro shops, golf stores, sporting goods stores, and large department stores have left me not knowing what is the best shirts to buy. I want to buy only the highest quality (most expensive) shirts I can get. I will pay top dollar to get the best shirts.
I see names such as Ashworth, Greg Norman, Izod, Slazenger, Nike, Arnold Palmer, Adidas, in materials such as "Mercerized", "Double Mercerized", "2-ply 60's Mercerized Cotton", and "100% Cotton".
I read somewhere to buy only Mercerized shirts for golfing, but if that's true, why do I see so many non-mercerized ( 100% cotton) golf shirts in the stores by the top names such as Ashworth, Greg Norman, Izod, and others?
Do any of you have a preference for a certain material / brand ? And what about colors?
Also what are the best type of pants/slacks to use for golfing? It's hard to find "golfing slacks" in any stores. Does any particular color seem to work best? Thought I would buy the higher-priced Dockers and hope that works.

Thanks for any help from anyone.

Buying shirts isn't a science. If you like it, buy it.

However, the darker colous will be warmer, the lighter much cooler.

Mercerized cotton is cotton that has been subjected to an alkide solution that shrinks the cotton and makes it smoother. It also helps it take dyes better. So a double mercerized cotton has just been done twice, obviously.

I really have found that some of the higher end shirts that I have bought really are better for golfing. They dry quicker (if you're a sweat hog - ex: Bravo ;) ) and look sharper at the end of the day. They also don't wrinkle as bad.

But, that being said, I have some cheap, cheap shirts that I just love for golfing in too. They feel great and fit well. So basically, it's not a science, more of a crap shoot.

Go out and buy a couple cheap shirts, a couple expensive ones and a couple middle of the road. Test them out yourself. It's going to be different for everyone.

If it helps, all Callaway stuff is 25% off here at the shops.... :p

Cheers,

R35

northstar40601 said:
Also what are the best type of pants/slacks to use for golfing? It's hard to find "golfing slacks" in any stores. Does any particular color seem to work best? Thought I would buy the higher-priced Dockers and hope that works.

I've always found that replicating the fashion sense of the likes Jesper Parnevik "works best". Higher priced dockers don't work, in fact, they encourage doubles and triples.

Low quality denim a la John Daly in PLFP also seem to be effective. Particularly on ritzy courses.

Words to live by..."the clothes make the game."

Along with clothes making the game, the bag is ever-important too. Clubs absolutely will not perform unless pulled from a tour bag, emblazened with the logo for your make of clubs, and your name in fancy lettering. This is why such a low % of golfers break 80; not many know this. I've been wasting my $ on lessons, but have stopped so I can save for what will actually make a difference instead-- the bag and clothes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520