• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Callaway X20 Tour too much for a new player????

Gul

Reaction score
Hi,
I almost made up my mind on the new Callaway X20 irons, selecting between these and Taylormade R7 Both in graphite shafts.

I see a lot of comments lately on the Calloway x20 Tours, looks they perform quite well.

Is it too much for a new player? Much forgiveness? Only for advaced players???

Thanks for your time,

Gul

Thank you Sandy for your replies.

I better stick to get Callaways x20 or the Taylormade R7!

Opinios on these pls?

Both very nice clubs, from my experience of hitting them, and very nice looking too. If you get a chance also try and hit the Cleveland Golds, which I thought felt nicer than either of those when I hit them in comparison testing*.

(*Comparison testing = I went into Golf Galaxy one evening when it was relatively empty and wanted to try a used fairway wood. They told me take as long as I wanted in the hitting net, so while I was there I spent a good 30 or 40 minutes hitting all the demo clubs they had on the side. Must have tried 10 different irons, 5 or 6 hybrids and every driver I'd ever wanted to hit!)

Those R7 are very nice. good beginner club too

I'd look around a bit more first. I think the Callaway X20's are overpriced for what you get. They are basically a cast cavity back game improvement club (even though one says 'tour'). Can't comment on what you should try as I haven't hit too many new irons lately, but as far as brands go I think it's hard to past Mizuno's. I've had my MX20's for a few years and wouldn't swap them. I know Mizuno has a couple of models out now that might be good for your standard, and I think they are probably a bit cheaper than the X20's, and are much higher quality. As for comparable cast clubs I think the R7's and Cleveland's would be a better buy when you factor in price.

If at the end of the day you decide to stick with the X20's, I don't think it would matter which one you get. From how they look and what I've read there isn't a whole lot of difference in performance between the two and you definitely don't need to be an advanced player to hit the tours, so go for whatever one you can get the best deal on.

If at the end of the day you decide to stick with the X20's, I don't think it would matter which one you get. From how they look and what I've read there isn't a whole lot of difference in performance between the two

Other than the X-20 Tours have a narrower sole, less perimeter weighting, much less offset, a smaller head, longer hosel and a higher center-of gravity... ;)

Oh, and the X-20 Tours only come in steel shafts as standard, so you'd need to custom order them with graphite shafts.

Other than the X-20 Tours have a narrower sole, less perimeter weighting, much less offset, a smaller head, longer hosel and a higher center-of gravity... ;)

Oh, and the X-20 Tours only come in steel shafts as standard, so you'd need to custom order them with graphite shafts.

Didn't know about the shafts, but a valid point.

I think with the other things you mentioned, there are differences as you said but I think the differences in the 20's aren't as pronounced as they were in past models. I've seen them side by side, and there isn't a whole lot of difference. As for performance I've only read reviews, but most of the reviewers said the X20 tours were a little too GI to be considered a real players club and lacked playability.

I gotta say the differences arent very big. Ive hit them both and one is no harder to hit than the other. The tour just looks slightly better at address but still kind of chunky. I say dont get Callaway period. They are overpriced and not worth the money you would spend on them. I havent hit the CG golds but I have hit the reds and they are quite nice. I would say go with Cleveland golds or R7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520