• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car help - For real

A broken TB will only prevent the motor from turning over if it manages to get wrapped around something, or jammed somewhere. The starter is engaged with the flywheel, which is on the crank. The timing belt's only purpose is to transfer energy from the other end of the crank to the camshaft(s) and spin those. It cannot prevent the starter from spinning the crank, unless like I said, it is wrapped up somehow.

<SAD story>
I took the entire drivetrain out of my wife's Toyota MR2 Turbo back in May for preventative maintenance. Replaced a bunch of things, but not the TB, because I couldn't get the crank pulley bolt off ( long story, made and broke a succession of copies of the special service tool for that job ). Finally gave up on the belt, and put it back together since the old belt looked great.

Started it up, and it idled for 3 minutes... and then broke the TB. You cannot imagine how pissed off I was, after a three straight weekends spent on it.
</SAD story>

But the point is, even with the belt snapped, the motor turned over. The camshafts and valves just don't move.
I know mine turned over after it broke, but it also made a strange whirring sound. I can only imagine that was the lack of camshaft noises? Or maybe the sound of the pistons slapping the valves?

I was going to suggest the timing belt earlier. But all my experience with engines was back in my Muscle Car days dealing with Big Block V-8's so I wasn't sure if that would translate over to a Import 4 cyl. But it certainly sounds like a broken or jumped timing belt. It could be not broken but just slipped/jumped, and the valves aren't opening at the correct time for it to build up compression. If the distributor slipped or stripped that would have the same effect in so far as it wouldn't be sparking during the compression stroke. Hope you get it figured out Ez, and that it doesn't cost you to much to get it back up and running.

I know mine turned over after it broke, but it also made a strange whirring sound. I can only imagine that was the lack of camshaft noises? Or maybe the sound of the pistons slapping the valves?
Or since you broke off four valves possibly the sound of the air being drawn in and out on every stroke?

But yeah, like david said, unless the belt is jammed/wrapped up the engine should still turn over pretty easily. Unless maybe this particular car has a sensor on it that would cut ignition and shut off the starter relay?? idk, just a thought as it sounds pretty odd that a mechanic(assuming he really IS a mechanic) would say something like "it wouldnt turn over if it was the TB"

OK, I'll check the timing belt if the distributor doesn't fix it. The mechanic is definitely legit, they've been in business since I was a kid and have 30+ vehicles waiting to be repaired outside. They were working on a Civic and an Acura when we went in. I'd take it there but I don't think the ins. company would cover the towing 40miles away.

I'm going to grab a cap/rotor and wires today anyway. Holding off on the distributor till I find a deal. I'm not paying $255 for a new one when it's not certain that's the problem.

Yeah, don't go throwing money at new parts if you are not sure that is what the problem is. I would suggest trying the easy cap, wires replacement then checking the timing belt and if those are not the problems then it is time to find a tow.

Well I just scheduled to drop the Prelude off at the dealer tomorrow. They said it's only $110 for a diagnostic check and estimate. Not bad IMO if they can figure out what the problem is... then I'll decide whether to have them do it or tow it back and do it myself.

I've also decided not to do any mods to the car. I want to pay the thing off and save a few bucks up. I've got one of these on my brain and need $13-$15K for one.

ai285.photobucket.com_albums_ll47_jdp16985_360_20Spyder_97_20Corvette_90805b04.jpg

Well I just scheduled to drop the Prelude off at the dealer tomorrow. They said it's only $110 for a diagnostic check and estimate. Not bad IMO if they can figure out what the problem is... then I'll decide whether to have them do it or tow it back and do it myself.

I've also decided not to do any mods to the car. I want to pay the thing off and save a few bucks up. I've got one of these on my brain and need $13-$15K for one.

ai285.photobucket.com_albums_ll47_jdp16985_360_20Spyder_97_20Corvette_90805b04.jpg

Yeah, a Corvette. That'll never gives you problems. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, a man who drives a 4 banger like an idiot buying a Vette,:shocked:. Let me know beofre you pick it up so I can take out a insurance policy on you, :laugh:

$13-15K for one????????? Is it stolen????????
You can get ahold of some 2k1 and lower models with 70k+ on the clock for about that...

Good luck paying for tires after about every 15k miles...you will be looking at probably 1800+ just in rubber on those 18 inch rims...i forget when they switced over from 18s to 19s in the back, but if ti has 19's those are going to run you a pretty penny.

Its not my money, and you can spend your money on whatever you want, but its not a financially sound move to buy a corvette unless you haev some serious extra money every month. I would love to have one, and plan to some day, but not untill i can easily afford it (which may be never).

$13-15K for one????????? Is it stolen????????

You can actually buy that one in the picture for $13,900 with 89K on it. It's an auto though. I'd want a 6speed. They can be found on Corvette forums.

Ah, it's a dream. I'd get one but it'd be my daily driver. As for killing myself in it? I'd think if I were going to kill myself driving it'd already have happened in HS when I had an S10 with an LT1 350 in it, or the ZX-11 or the fastest accelerating thing I've ever been on/in... race built 1989 Honda CR250.

Even if I do get one, it'll be a little while. I'd probably get a POS 4wd pickup to beat around in as a 2nd vehicle. Oh and yes, I'm going for another job tomorrow... they have paid training for ClassA CDL. If I get that job I'll make about 5 times what I'm making now next year at this time.

You can get a Corvette for a song, now a days. There is a lot of unfounded stigma surrounding the vette. If you can handle driving it in the winter, and the lack of room for passengers and clubs/luggage, they are a great car. Gas mileage on par with many 4 cylinder sedans, and pretty reliable, especially the LS-1 because of the distributorless ignition. My LT-1 does about 22 mpg running to the course, runs very low 13's in the quarter, and gets 31 mpg on the highway. If I could only get my current bug worked out, it'd be ready to go.

Here is some pics of a pretty nice C4. Yellow with tan interior is about impossible to find. I think this may be the only one made in 1992.
vette1.jpg
vette2.jpg
vette3.jpg

You can get a Corvette for a song, now a days. There is a lot of unfounded stigma surrounding the vette. If you can handle driving it in the winter, and the lack of room for passengers and clubs/luggage, they are a great car. Gas mileage on par with many 4 cylinder sedans, and pretty reliable, especially the LS-1 because of the distributorless ignition. My LT-1 does about 22 mpg running to the course, runs very low 13's in the quarter, and gets 31 mpg on the highway. If I could only get my current bug worked out, it'd be ready to go.

I was wondering about the mileage. I found it hard to believe since that's better than my Prelude. It looks like a golf bag would fit in the back with the woods taken out. As for winter, I'd drive it but not in snow/ice. I'd pick up a beater. I'm actually half thinking of checking out a Durango down the street from me at a dealer. It's a silver V8 and he's looking for $3499. I might just put the Prelude up for $7500, I could get rid of the payment and grab that for this winter.

What year is yours Clug?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424