• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Casual golfers tips needed

Mystery man

Major winner
Phucknugget
Well unfortunately life and all of its quirks has forced me from going from a 25 year avid golfer down to a previous 5 years of casual golf. And my definition of casual golf is less than 20 rounds yearly for the last 5 seasons. So far I have been having fun keeping score on a few holes ; than treating some holes just as fun try different shot and strategies. If I'm a single I might hit a few balls all over the course and just play them all the way to the hole. I'm still getting a few real naturalnpars and even a natural birdie occasionally each round as well. Real hard to give up avid golf, but as casual now my main goal is to just enjoy my time out there. Any fellow casual golfers out there? What keeps you happy knowing score isn't going to be great anymore ?

Just wanted to add I always take a cart and play my set of tees that the other group is playing.

I was a casual golfer before I stopped playing due to schedule restraints.

You already said it: enjoying the time out there. 3-4 hours spent in beautiful surroundings with good friends is a welcome break from the realities of life that all of us need.

Just wait. When you retire and the kids are all gone you will join a club and play every single day, that the wife doesn't have something more important for you to do, and only after you finish the list of shit she wants you to do on the days you do play..... like me. Life is good.

Fixed it again.............

"Casual golf" needs to be just that. It's recreation... a game... social time. It's not an athletic competition!!! You're going to have to play a lot more than a couple times/month to be good at this game, so why not just kick back and enjoy.

If you play as a single, don't expect to play through the groups ahead. If there's no place to go, you will slow down the entire course thinking they should let you through. Play multiple balls or twiddle your thumbs. Don't be in a hurry.

If you join others, the most important things are course etiquette, common sense, and keeping up. If they play fast... play just as quick. If they don't take practice swings... don't doddle over the ball as if you are going to play even par golf. Harvey Pennick said... "Miss it quick!"
If they joke around, be a sport and stay loose. If they are more serious, keep up and shut up.

Before joining another group, go buy about two dozen cheap golf balls. When you hit one in the trash... look no longer than 30 seconds to 1 minute. The USGA Rules of Golf give you 5 minutes. On a busy course if everyone looked for a full 5 minutes, many wouldn't finish before midnight!! If you carry a ball retriever, use it ONLY to fish your own ball out of a water hazard. If you begin to "hawk" balls... holding up the group to pull an extra handful out of the water... someone needs to break the retriever in about 3 pieces and hand it back to you.

The older I've got, the more I've relaxed knowing I'll never be a tournament golfer, the more fun the game has been and the better I've scored. I LOVE casual golf!!!!!!

And for the love of god, when you exit a bunker, exit away from the green and tap the sand off of your shoes.

Best advice I can give is when you get frustrated, take the clubs back to your car and go home and take two weeks off with no golf at all, then quit completely.

Good stuff. Other day I hit a real bad one way left, would've never found it. Guys in the group were trying to figure what tree it went over. Before they even could react I teed up another and hit it down the middle. They were in awe, how fast I reloaded. Was like the Matrix

Made a birdie with that ball, and since I'm having fun i gave myself a par. I know this isn't within the rules , but screw it

Good stuff. Other day I hit a real bad one way left, would've never found it. Guys in the group were trying to figure what tree it went over. Before they even could react I teed up another and hit it down the middle. They were in awe, how fast I reloaded. Was like the Matrix

Made a birdie with that ball, and since I'm having fun i gave myself a par. I know this isn't within the rules , but screw it
Unless you're playing for big stakes, score it however you want. Again, keep the game fun.

Personally, I play the ball as it lies. Always have. Was how I learned. The one group I play with now and then plays for quarters. A couple of those guys roll the ball. Too close to a tree? They use a foot wedge and don't count it. As long as I can play it down and still take their quarters... or at least not lose any... I'll not say a thing. Sorta fun to collect in the 19th hole, knowing you beat them and their foot wedges.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?