• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing the rules...

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
I read once that Tiger said the golf rule he would change relates to divots. i.e. divots should be treated as GUR - ball lands in one, free drop.

Seems fair to me, although could possibly be open to abuse.

Any other rules that should be changed?

what??

I dont like that. Wherever the ball lands is where you should play it, no matter if it is in a divot.

Tbone said:
I dont like that. Wherever the ball lands is where you should play it, no matter if it is in a divot.

Why should a golfer be penalised for a perfect drive that lands in a divot?

"because it's in the rules and it's the same for everyone" isn't a good enough answer.

Plus, of course, there is the aspect of keeping the course in good condition. Playing the ball from a divot will likely lead to another sod of earth being removed, increasing the damage to the course.

No offence, but I put more faith in Tiger's view than yours!

Yup....lost ball on the course (not OB, woods, etc...). Lots of gray area here but think the pros have a huge advantage...thousands of people watching, ball spotters, etc. Go to one stroke and play from estimated landing area.

P_102

Without a doubt, I would change the divot rule. It would be easy for a rules official or playing partner to interpret and would make it fairer.

YOu also made a good point about care of the course also. As it is now, the player is just digging it deeper...

I think this is a recipe for disaster. Where do you draw the line? What defines a divot, the slightest imperfection on the ground, or a 3 inch crater? On fairways only? What about a divot in the rough? What if you are standing in a divot? I think this whole thing is open to interpretation and would slow the game down, cause cheating etc.

Another example is the mud ball. I agree that this is unfair, but what defines a mud ball? Some slight grass mark on your ball, actual mud caked on it? To me this is a way of improving your lie and again is open to interpretation.

One of the beauties of this game is the fact that some of it is left to luck and "rub of the green". You should play the ball as it lies, just like in life. I was plugged in the rough on Saturday, within 20 ft of the flag. Impossible shot, so I had to take a penalty drop. Should I have got a drop as my stance possibly could have been in a divot? Or because theoretically I could have had a mud ball?

Just my 2c.

I think a divot is pretty clearly defined, Nicklaus has complained about this for years.

But what about rule 14-3?

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
(i) plain gloves may be worn;
(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and
(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

The pros have caddies who measure the course and write everything down in the yardage book a couple of days before a tournament this is not an unfair advantage because they all do it but what about affording us duffers the same sort of ability?

I figure all you get from a laser device is correct yardage, you still have to hit the shot.

Slingblade61 said:
I think a divot is pretty clearly defined

b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or

The pros have caddies who measure the course and right everything down in the yardage book a couple of days before a tournament this is not an unfair advantage because they all do it but what about affording us duffers the same sort of ability?

I figure all you get from a laser device is correct yardage, you still have to hit the shot.

Well then, what defines a divot?

I agree wholeheartedly with your next point. I think the rules will change shortly on this and GPS systems will become the norm. Mark my words.

I used to prescribe to the overall mindset here, figuring a change of the rules was needed for divots. Then, I heard a quote by David Faherty that put me more in line with Mr. IG.

Quote: "Golf wasn't intended to be played from perfect surface to perfect surface. The first courses were designed by goats."

Think about that. Divots are well within the spirit of the game. They are much less destructive to the golfer than playing it down in a pile of goat sh*t. Personally, I think that modern golfers-- especially pros-- have gotten too spoiled with playing conditions and need to get back to a true goat track occasionally. Again, as far as divots, learn to hit down on the ball, and you'll get a reasonable result anyways.

JMHO...

Divot = A piece of turf torn up by a golf club in striking a ball.
Actually I think the hole left behind after the turf has been torn up is a divot as well.

Slingblade61 said:
Divot = A piece of turf torn up by a golf club in striking a ball.
Actually I think the hole left behind after the turf has been torn up is a divot as well.

So you arrive at you ball and it is lying in a divot? Right? You know it's a divot because you've seen the guy ahead take the turf out, right? Or is it a slight imperfection in the ground? A pock mark, an old partially recovered divot. What if it is a divot where the clump has been put back in but you don't feel like hitting it off the loose earth? Or what if the divot has been filled by seeded sand? Drop off every time?

I'm a traditionalist on this and I agree with Crowe and my hero Feherty. Play it as it lies. Sometimes this results in bad breaks and having to play from 3" holes left by *******s who can't be bothered replacing them. (Golfers who don't replace their divots should be beaten with birches!).

I think we need to educate golfers in the etiquette of golf. I think the greens staff have to help people help themselves by provided sanded seed. But I think it is a very rocky road to go down to just carte blanche rewrite this rule.

Well - defining divot in the context of gaining relief would certainly not be something that could be done in five minutes. Yes, you do have the issues of a recovering divot (filled with sand etc) but I still think it could be done...

I too think Feherty is great. We are lucky to hear him frequently here providing his wit and wisdom. And yes while the game was originally played in the fields of sheepherders and goatherders, it has come a long way since then.

Difference of opinion I suppose.

Just a quick diversion from the divot thread ... the ball moving after addressing it on the green - coz this happened to me last Tuesday on a calm, sunkist afternoon

I'm more interested in the range finder thing.

Divots don't concern me as most of my shots come from the woods anyway. :D

I agree, moving you ball from ANY lie (save, sprinkler, extension cord, rope, ect) is wrong. You've had to play the ball as it lies for over a hundred years. Why change it now?

And, if my recollection serves me, I'm pretty sure both Jack and Tiger have made out pretty good so far without it.

Hit the ball, make the putt.

R35

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54