• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning driver & purpose of headcover

starbd

Reaction score
Please help.

Maybe I'm being a controlling husband, but my wife refuses to keep her headcovers on her new Cobra driver and woods. Plus, she cleans them w/ the metal bristle brush that is generally used for irons.

I've tried to explain why she should keep the headcovers on and not use the metal brush, but she's not buying my arguments.

Can you pls explain if I'm wrong or she's damaging her new clubs.

Thank you

I wouldnt think it is "damaging" to the club to use the brush and to not use the head covers. I know that i paid to much money for mine to let them get scratched or to put scratches on them myself. There are times when i will not put the head cover on one of my woods but never both.

In the old days when woods were wood headcovers protected the nice varnish finish on the wood from getting chipped. The headcover itself is still primarily just to protect against cosmetic damage such as chipping of the paint or scratching of the metal. However, the long sleeve on modern headcovers serves a significant purpose. As clubs swing in the bag the shafts rub against the bag lip or a divider causing wear in a single spot. On steel shafts this is no big deal, again, just cosmetic wear spot in the chrome. Graphite shafts are another story, they are more susceptible to the rubbing which can actually cause a weak spot in the shaft. The long sleeve protects the shaft from this abrasion and potential weakening. A piece of clear plastic tape would provide protection as well.

If the brush has brass bristles it should do no damage. Personally, I use a stiff nylon-bristle brush on all my clubs. I have never liked the idea of using metal bristles though it probably does no harm.

starbd:

I cringe at the thought of her taking a wire brush to a metalwood...one slip of the hand and she has scratched the paint on the head.

Rather than using negative feedback about what is wrong with this method...you might try to "re-direct" her behavior.

After she has finished a round and her clubs are good and dirty - get her a can of WD-40 and a soft towel. One spray will loosen the dirt/grass on the clubface and shine the painted top in a jiffy.

Good luck with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422