• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Closing Club Head at Address

riverc0il

Reaction score
Will closing the club head at address assist with a slice or a push? I know this is a band aid to fix a swing fault. Quite frankly though, I need a band aid to keep this activity fun as playing a long par 4 or a par 5 hitting off the tee with a 5 iron is breaking my will to keep hacking (okay, a little melodramatic there ;) ).

I had a huge banana slice that went further to the right than it did straight. I managed to smooth that out by reducing over the top motion. Mostly I achieved good results by slowing down the back swing, not taking the club back as far (more of a 1/2 - 3/4 swing), using less force (thinking swing), and adjusting the back swing plane to not be so steep (causing over the top).

All that stuff worked great. I no longer have a slice. Now I have a massive push to the right that goes into the woods or next fairway. This is only the case with the driver, woods, and occasionally but not always on my 3 hybrid. I played around with a "slightly" closed club face on my 3 wood today and hit a massive drive but still pushed it.... but not nearly as bad as I usually do. Would closing the club head 5*+ help solve a pushing issue? What other swing adjustments could I do to ensure my club head is square at impact?

Both. It makes a slice worse, and a hook worse.

Try a weaker right hand grip if you're right handed. (See more knuckles on your right hand). :)

Another question is if you're really as closed as you think you are. Standing behind the ball, the club often looks a lot more closed than it really is.

Another question is if you're really as closed as you think you are. Standing behind the ball, the club often looks a lot more closed than it really is.
Good point here. Set two shafts down, one a couple of inches outside the target line, pointing at the target, the other parallel to it on the stance line. Setup square and make sure the clubface is perpedicular to the target line shaft. Swing away.

Good point here. Set two shafts down, one a couple of inches outside the target line, pointing at the target, the other parallel to it on the stance line. Setup square and make sure the clubface is perpedicular to the target line shaft. Swing away.

A compliment from Eracer? My day is made! :thumbs up:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Try a weaker right hand grip if you're right handed. (See more knuckles on your right hand). :)
Never thought of trying a weaker grip. I had tried a stronger grip to cure the slice, but the grip had nothing to do with the slice so I went back to neutral. Maybe a weaker grip could cure the push? I assume a weaker grip would help turn the club face over sooner?

Thanks for the tip. I think I line up pretty darn square to the ball but if I am actually addressing from an open position... then "closing" the club head might actually mean that I am squaring it up. I'll try the two club tip to get a more accurate read on the specific angle of address.

Thanks for the tips!

Look at your setup and where your feet are aiming. also check the clubface. Play well

Get lessons.

Best, tip, ever.

it sound like you might need to check your grip it maybe to weak for your swing, a stronger grip just might help you out . Or it could be your ball position, but thinking about any and all that stuff you explained while on the golf course is a score wrecker. Try having fun with a better grip and this may solve your Pirate compass ball flight. Check your grip pressure too if you change this during your swing it can cause errant shots aswell, it should remain constant and light the entire time and round....Cheeers:)

Never thought of trying a weaker grip. I had tried a stronger grip to cure the slice, but the grip had nothing to do with the slice so I went back to neutral. Maybe a weaker grip could cure the push? I assume a weaker grip would help turn the club face over sooner?

Thanks for the tip. I think I line up pretty darn square to the ball but if I am actually addressing from an open position... then "closing" the club head might actually mean that I am squaring it up. I'll try the two club tip to get a more accurate read on the specific angle of address.

Thanks for the tips!
A weaker grip eliminates a hook and a stronger grip eliminates a slice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back