• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cold weather pants

DH4816

Reaction score
Ok guys winter is officially upon us. I've got great windbreakers, sweaters etc. but I need some cool-cold weather pants. Something that breaks the wind and gives a little insulation but is still comfortable enought to walk 18 in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

DH

The secret with cold temps is layering. There are some excellent "Under Armor" products out there that work great under regular long pants. Our course does not mind jeans, once the weather turns cold. I work outside, year round, so a pair of jeans will suit me to well below freezing... without any layer underneath.

We played last Saturday in low 30 degree temps with 20-30 mph winds. I got along fine with just jeans. If I have the opportunity to play a course where I need to dress more appropriately in cold weather, I'll toss on a thin set of long underwear.

We're even seeing less use of bulky "Carharts" on jobsites. The Under Armor products are as good when it comes to cold weather gear, without the bulkiness.

In the "old days", I'd try to keep a set of panty hose. (Yes, to they do make them that large!!!) A panty hose underneath a pair of jeans is good to well into single digit wind chill factors.

We ski in the off season, and I swear by Hot Chillys as a base layer. I particularly like my pink cheetah print, but they may not go with the rest of your outfit...

Boxers.

Let it get so cold you go numb! See, there ya go!

Honestly, I just wear my pants, cold doesn't bother my legs much.

I agree with both the "layers" and Under Armour comment.

I've purchased a couple "cold gear" shirts. . .Tight! Like a second skin, they also have leggings.

I tend to wear the same Dockers for winter golf that I wear for work, but I usually have a layer of thermal or something under. My legs don't usually get too entirely cold.

When it is really cold I usually wear Under Armor Pants under my regular pants. Although they may be to warm when walking 18. Another for less warmth is just wearing Flannel pants like Joe boxers under you slacks. As mentioned earlier, layers are good because if you get hot later in the round it is easy to get rid of a layer.

If you do what I mentioned, it also helps to tuck them into your socks. Keeps the cold air out even more.

Played yesterday in 44 degree weather and 18 mph wind. Wore Under Armour pants, socks, polo and golf fleece. Then a regular light wind shirt and slacks. Was almost sweating when it was about a 35* wind chill factor all day. Also did not restrict my swing even as much as a shirt and normal fleece.

We ski in the off season, and I swear by Hot Chillys as a base layer. I particularly like my pink cheetah print, but they may not go with the rest of your outfit...

All 3 ski hills near me are making snow like crazy, might even be open in another 4 days.

Scary thing is I have the same Pink cheetah print as you, I look so damn hot in it;)

I have a ton of cold weather gear from ice-racing, but honestly, I don't even use most of it. On this side of the border, it doesn't get much colder than laying on your back on a frozen lake, under a dead racecar, in -10* F with a 30mph wind whipping across Lake Winnebago. Even then, a decent pair of thermals under some jeans is enough for me.

I can't imagine needing anything more specialized than a pair of jeans just for playing a couple hours of golf. I do have some flannel lined jeans which are nice. If I'm going to be outside on a lake all day in sub-zero temps, I have some allegedly tactical-grade thermals, and over those, all I need are jeans and a T-shirt.

The important parts when it's really cold are eliminating exposed skin and staying dry ( says the idiot who has *twice* jumped in a half-frozen lake to pull out some other idiot ).

Damn thing about UnderArmor is that it's so expensive. A good pair of polypropelene thermal underpants work well. And the layering comments are the only way to go.

All 3 ski hills near me are making snow like crazy, might even be open in another 4 days.

Scary thing is I have the same Pink cheetah print as you, I look so damn hot in it;)

I'll save Davis the bother:

:needpics:

I wear underarmour for a top but just regular long-johns for bottmons. Underarmour is pretty tight and might effect the 'ol sperm count.
icon10.gif

I wear underarmour for a top but just regular long-johns for bottmons. Underarmour is pretty tight and might effect the 'ol sperm count.
icon10.gif
They have non-compression models like the one I have, not that I would take your comment as anything other than a selling point. :laugh:

Damn thing about UnderArmor is that it's so expensive. A good pair of polypropelene thermal underpants work well. And the layering comments are the only way to go.

It is ridiculously expensive and it cannot be found in some mall in the plus size that I need. Polypro is the way to go. Hey, that rhymes.

I've been fishing in some brutal weather and fleece and polypro does the job. Find an Army/Navy surplus store for the polypro (dirt cheap and they carry things a hefty fellow needs), then throw a regular pair of rain pants over some khakis for a wind break. Unless you're playing in 10* or less, that set up should keep your giblets warm.

Kevin

Get the Dryjoy Insulated Wind/Rain pants and wear some jeans under them. Hell, you can wear shorts under them if you want. They are perfect for golf in rain and cold-weather.

If it's 70* and raining, they are WAY too warm to wear and you are back in your shorts. But when it is sub-40* and the wind is moving, just jeans and the Dryjoys is all you really need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520