• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Conditions in Florida

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wondering what the playing conditions are like down there now? Would be helpful if anyone has played in New England as well for a little comparison. VT had mentioned needing a little more club but last year I was actually hitting considerably longer down there, he must be up in the mountains of Vermont, not the swamps of RI and MA. :laugh:

Also any advice on the difference in the Bermuda greens and greenside rough as opposed to up here would be appreciated.

I just put a dozen Prov1X's in the bag. I seem to hit those with a lower spin and a little straighter. I get enough wedge spin so hoping it's good choice. My main objective is to just hit every tee shot in play, regardless of iron in. I think if I can play the same ball for 18 that breaking 90 should pretty much be a given.

Most of the Bermuda here has been overseeded with Winter Rye, so the greens are a bit slower and not so grainy. The fairways are not rolling at all.

VT "needed more club". That's pretty funny...

OK, thanks Eracer. I was a little leery about bringing the Yes putter since I've not used it yet. I'll try my best to stay below the hole and bury everything off the back of the hole or miss by 2feet long.
icon10.gif
Having this info may not actually help but gives me a little more confidence mentally.

The weird bermuda around the greens is "interesting"

How so? Grabby? Throw it out with finesse or strong grip open face SW?

No idea.

First day I hit every green and didn't have to deal with the stuff. On the last day I was in it all day. I tried everything I could think of and found that picking it up and putting it my pocket worked best.

It's not that it gets buried, but the consistency of the turf is what kills you, everything is sand and the ball goes nowhere. If it's sitting up, you can bump and run it like we would do up here from the fringe or fairway, except you're in the rough down there. Obviously in the rough up here I'd hit a SW or LW and fly it most of the way. I'll never completely understand how to play around the greens down there. Just try and hit greens ;)

Well, if you have a chance to read this, south florida is windy! Alot of the wind is coming from the North East so prepare yourself if you not playing tree lined fairways. It's been awful wet lately and the fairways are just not rolling. Today I was driving on pretty much just carry in miami. Greens seem to be ok not too fast just yet. Just hopefully when you come down its been dry for a few days so you can really enjoy your self :)

Thanks. It was very windy when I played last year. I played a cut last year and the wind grabbed it a lot. This year I've got an improved swing and hit a draw as my stock shot. I don't think anyone likes hitting a driver into the wind but I actually like hitting irons into it. I'll be playing on Wed. The forecast looks like it'll be dry till then and on Wed. hopefully as well.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodehene1