• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom driver fitting ?

marcus

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the local pga superstore to get custom fitted for a driver that I dont have to custon order.By custom order I mean I have a older titleist driver that I had to custom order in 7.5 degrees to get all the specific #'s in the right range.So yesterday they boiled it down to a 9.5* adams 9064LS with the rip shaft red eyes.According to when I was hitting it yesterday the dipersion pattern was 15 yds from centerline maximum and launch angle was at 16* and backspin rate of 3000 and sidespin rate of 150,my maximum height was something like 50yds I think whatever it was he said it was perfect.

Has anyone ever experienced getting a driver custom fitted then when played under normal conditions be totally wrong,I mean this thing was just pure awful.Do you think they can rig the hitting booths to show what they want them to show just to sell a club ?

The reason I am wanting a new club is mainly for the new technology , but I am begining to believe the way I used to think ,that this new stuff isnt any better than 10 years ago because I can just blast it by with my 983e compared to where I hit this new club today.

I don't know much about those other numbers, but that launch angle seems high to me, not perfect. I thought the ideal launch angle was around 12-14* depending on backspin.

Truth be told, that 983 is one of the better hitting/feeling drivers to come out in the last decade or so.

i doubt they'd rig a launch monitor to sell a club - they could just as easily sell you an 8.5* or a 10.5* if it worked any better for you. The key thing on one of these monitors is to also hit your current driver so you have a baseline. If the new driver outperforms your old one, and you're willing to spend the money, buy it. If you do better with your old one, don't buy a new one.

If you're buying OEM stuff, I'd recommend buying the actual club you hit on the monitor. If you're working with a professional fitter who's building from components, that goes out the window.

I personally think you should be measured on the launch monitor over 2-3 visits. If your swing was off a bit or just inconsistent (like most of us) you might get a different result.

I think driver fitting is way over-rated. Yes, its cool to see your numbers up on the screen but I don't think its that important. You'd be much better off getting a fitting for your irons and wedges. If driver performance is that important to you you should have several different drivers handy so you can pick one for the given day or get an adjustable driver.

Right now I have four different drivers but 90% of the time I'm playing a stock, off the rack, 2007 TM Burner or a Nike VR adjustable driver. The numbers of the Burner are probably all wrong if I hit it on a machine. I know it spins way too much. Thing is the Burner is a fairway finder. My other drivers are all longer off the tee but are harder to find fairways with. I'll gladly trade 5 or 10 yards to be in the fairway vs the rough any day. I usually switch drivers depending on wind conditions.

I think drivers are way over rated period. Gave up on mine and have played much better since.

I think drivers are way over rated period. Gave up on mine and have played much better since.

That's a bit of an extreme. I'd be curious of your age and handicap. I think most people would prefer a wedge to 7 iron in their hand for the second shot rather than a 6 iron to a hybrid. Probably depends on the course and what tees you play from too. I'm not saying hit driver on every hole but most courses will leave aweful long second shots on half of the par 4s if you don't hit driver.

Yesterday I went to the local pga superstore to get custom fitted for a driver that I dont have to custon order.By custom order I mean I have a older titleist driver that I had to custom order in 7.5 degrees to get all the specific #'s in the right range.So yesterday they boiled it down to a 9.5* adams 9064LS with the rip shaft red eyes.According to when I was hitting it yesterday the dipersion pattern was 15 yds from centerline maximum and launch angle was at 16* and backspin rate of 3000 and sidespin rate of 150,my maximum height was something like 50yds I think whatever it was he said it was perfect.

Has anyone ever experienced getting a driver custom fitted then when played under normal conditions be totally wrong,I mean this thing was just pure awful.Do you think they can rig the hitting booths to show what they want them to show just to sell a club ?

The reason I am wanting a new club is mainly for the new technology , but I am begining to believe the way I used to think ,that this new stuff isnt any better than 10 years ago because I can just blast it by with my 983e compared to where I hit this new club today.
i have never experienced it i am not going to pay big bucks when a regular driver does the same trick

I unfortunately went through the whole driver fitting thing a few years ago. My son has been hitting that thing ever since, and really loves it.

I picked up a TM CGB max because i thought the black head was cool, and shafted with an Aldila DVS because it matched a Tecate can. Best fit ever.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520