• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dent on Driver

daaaaamn..you did that on the first day..i bet you were super pissed. How the f@$k does that happen. you could hit your driver backwards and not get that big of a dent.

The picture makes the dent a lot bigger, but none the less i was pretty pissed. I'll try out the suggestions, and let y'all know..hopefully something works. When I first started playing this never happened, now it seems to be an unwanted common occurrence.

I see how the shoes would be distracting, which is why they are not worn at the course :) haha

My guess would be that your hands are way to far forward at impact. My brother-in law was like that when he first started golfing. I would say a range session with the ball lined up with the left front toe or a little more forward would produce much better results. If it still happens...keep moving the ball forward in your stance???

ok, but why turn a 9.5 deg driver into a 3 wood ?
upswing hitting, is imho, a bad habit to form, esp for a newbie.
I feel it makes you conciuosly "reach out" for the ball with the club

This quote is not correct.

You DO want to hit the ball on the upswing with your driver if you want to maximize distance. This is accomplished not by flipping your wrists, but by tilting your spine away from the target at address and turning around that spine angle.

Because of the tilted spine, the "bottom" of your swing is technically on the way back up because you don't bottom your driver to the ground. Because of the tilt, you now have an upward angle of attack to the ball.

The upward angle of attack launches the ball higher, with no difference in spin from the spin generated from a 0* angle of attack.

To the OP, tee the ball lower. Set the club down behind the ball, don't manipulate the face, and swing through the ball.

the actual problem, I think, is how people interpret swing advice.

its easy to think swing up - and try to hit at some overly extreme upwards angle. people will tee the ball completly over the clubhead - I see them do it, and they tell me they hit it on the upswing..

for instance I describemy downswing/impact as "swing down" : its actually just a downswing trigger - a slight grip end down to the ball/ground movement, that starts the hip and upper body.
but the feeling is to "swing down".

and it works.. ask wirehair about me getting on the green in 2 on a par 5 :)

nonetheless and respectfully, I will again state, look at swingvision vids of the pros. the clubhead is less than an inch of down/flat/up, at impact. timing. :)

I have seen this before and for the life of me I can't figure out how someone hits the club there?!?!?! YIKES!

and it works.. ask wirehair about me getting on the green in 2 on a par 5 :)

nonetheless and respectfully, I will again state, look at swingvision vids of the pros. the clubhead is less than an inch of down/flat/up, at impact. timing. :)
I have been on one of the only 3 par 5's in two when I did not even hit driver. Hit 5w and 4i hybrid hook to the green.

Again, WTF does Swingvisions vids of pros have to do with this whole thing.

You are talking about the minority of the professionals actual use this technique.

Unless of course you are saying you consider yourself better than the minority of the professionals that do so. ... and more important feel that everyone else would be able to do the same.

Those shoes are ballin dude. Do you skate?
About the club... I just put an idiot mark on my 3 day old driver, but it is hardly noticeable and I was PISSED. I can't imagine what you felt like after that. I would try to loan advice if I had not just came in way too steep with my stick. I would like to see your follow through. I envision a super release that ends with the toe of the club damn near making contact with your anus.

Not to be a dick, i'm just sayin.... you'd have to roll the hell out of your wrists to do that. While swinging HARD.

Nikonut, virtually all pros strike the driver with a positive angle of attack. It's just generally a very shallow one. 2-5*, at the most. In the midst of a swing it often looks to be flat. It isn't.

yep, its why they use 8 degree drivers, they turn it into 9 with a pos angle, its bad advice to suggest to any leaner to hit down with a driver

but like someone already said, I have absolutely no idea how you can dent a driver there, its utterly bizarre

hmmm! a little rough there dont ya think ?
Not sure if that was in relation to my post, but if so, the answer would be likely not rough enough.

Again, you gave advice to someone in another thread that people should use this method because a select group of pros do so on swingvision and it seems to work for you so it should be the adopted method. I thought that was simply poor advice and posed a legitimate question as to why it would not be right for everyone (specifically the OP in the other thread), and as was indicated in my prior post in that thread that you questioned. You then failed to respond yet later posed a similar response over here, I then copied the information over and posed other similar questions and analogies to what appeared to be your train of thought, to which you simply said
I have no idea what that means :ugly25:
If you want to post an opinion about something such as this that contradicts what a large majority of instructors, club designers and such feel to be the proper way to hit a club, then great. However, when question is brought up in relation to the technique, simply not responding, or dismissing it and say "A bunch of pro's do this on swingvision, and it works for me, so it must be the best way" is not adequate support to recommend it to everyone who asks IMO.

Sadly, I even stated in the other thread that I use a similar technique, however just because it works for me and small minority of Pro golfers do so does not mean it is correct. So tell me, exactly what percent of pro golfers use this technique? Maybe 2-5%??? What technique were the rest taught to use?? It just goes against the sole basis for how the club was designed to be hit, but simply because it works well for me, it doesn't mean it is the way to go for everyone. It likely works well for me because it disguises and ongoing swing flaw of a slight early unhinging of my wrists, and if I move it forward I hit weak, high hooks. Although I do still hit the ball on a slight upswing, just not as much. It likely works for pros because the majority of the ones who do so have a 130mph swing and can get the ball airborne and to go a long way by simply using the loft of the club. The fact that it may affect their ballspin and cost them yards for consistency is unimportant to them even if they know that it is doing so.

So if you feel that is a little rough, so be it. Maybe if you feel so, it may be in your best interests to not offer controversial advice if you are unwilling to support the opinion outside of saying "It works for pro's on swingvision".

Heck, based on the support that you provided, much of which only contradicts the physics behind striking the ball. Which was why I posted the other ridiculous analogies, I do not feel they were any more ridiculous than you comments that you offered for support about finding the bottom of your swing and not turning a driver into a 3w. Why do you need a 3w, couldn't you simply use the driver off the deck based on what you have said????

ok, thanks, It's good company here, you included, and I have no hard feelings over any difference in opinions :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520

3. 15,301