• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dick's Sporting Goods

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Reaction score
I just had a very strange experience at Dick's. I went in to get a Dynamic Gold and to see if they had clubmaking supplies. No supplies, no shaft. I asked one of the psycos (they all are) working in there if he had a DG in .335 or .350. He told me that was a good question then went to check. He brought me a .355 taper and said thats the closest they had then asked how many I wanted. I gave him a look and said I don't want any because I need a .350. He was confused. :shocked:

Then I asked him, "How about an FT-i tour headcover?" as mine only has an FT-3 cover right now. He replied back, "How about one?" I asked if he had any, he told me they have lots of them, then I asked what they charge for one. He told me that they don't have UPC stickers on them so if I wanted one I would have to arm wrestle him. :shocked: I ended up getting it for no charge. Now I know where to go when I need a headcover, I guess.

And finally I was just wandering around with my buddy when we saw the same guy trying to sell this poor girl a TM 425 tp for her boyfriend. $800, 9.5 degrees, stiff shaft, etc. She didn't take it so the guy went back up to the desk. The girl then asked my buddy and me if we played golf and to please help her decide on the club. We ended up showing her a TM 460, 10.5 degrees, reg shaft based on her answers about the guy. I'm sure he would prefer the tp but will hit this one better.

Real strange experience today. What is the general consensus about DSG? I only shop there if I don't have time or gas to make the haul to Golf Galaxy.

You can't be serious, that's how you got that headcover?

Man...what a world...

You can't be serious, that's how you got that headcover?

Man...what a world...

No, I didn't armwrestle him! They just gave it to me. Sorry to mislead you. :D

I forgot to add this: when I brought my friend back home, he locked himself out and couldn't get in. He's a big guy, and he couldn't fit through the window, so we stacked a chair on top of a picnic table, then I climbed through. :D Really weird day.

I'm so confused!

And yeah, when I go to Sports Authority and ask me if they could recommend me a club or help with anything, I laugh a little inside.

I've gotten some great pickups there, my dad got a new set of Callaway X-18s with graphite shaft back when the 20s were slated to come out for like 250 dollars.

Not even funny.

Just FYI: Dicks = Golf Galaxy = Golf Works. All owned by the same company now.

Did Dicks ever have clubmaking supplies? I thought they were strictly a "sporting goods" type store.

People complain about the "big box" stores, but I tell you what, it sucks not having one around. I would prefer a PGA Superstore (so nice!), but I've heard a rumor that we're getting a Golf Galaxy next year.

Just FYI: Dicks = Golf Galaxy = Golf Works. All owned by the same company now.

Did Dicks ever have clubmaking supplies? I thought they were strictly a "sporting goods" type store.

I know that Dick's own Golf Galaxy, that's why I wanted to check, it's just that GG is a lot longer drive and I wanted to check to before I order online or drive to GG.

I know that Dick's own Golf Galaxy, that's why I wanted to check, it's just that GG is a lot longer drive and I wanted to check to before I order online or drive to GG.

Oh, sorry.

I was just surprised when you said they had any loose shafts at all.

Armwrestle? Sounds like he was looking more along the lines of a swordfight. :laugh:

Did he take his frog watch off first?

Dick's is a big chain and hardly golf specific. You can't expect the kid making minimum wage to know everything about golf. Chances are he/she doesn't even play golf. So golf questions, no. Getting stoned and doing an "ollie" in the parking lot? For sure!!

I saw a rack of shafts and some lead tape in there. I never looked for the epoxy, ferrules and all that other crap, but I'm assuming its there somewhere. They also have boxes of grips.

I wouldn't let any of the employees at Dicks do any work at all on my clubs. Unfortunately the closest actual golf store, "The Golf Shack" closed both locations, so now I would have to drive to the west side of Madison & hit up Golf Galaxy or Nevada Bobs.

Dick's can be both good and bad. It depends on which one you go to.

Christiansburg, VA
My local one where I live has very knowlageble staff and is very friendly. The pro there used to be the Virginia Tech golf coach, (ACC conf). He always helps me out and has answers, or makes an attempt to answer my questions. Day after day I demo new clubs (I work in the same mall as Dicks) and they never care. I rate them B+ (they don't carry Ping or a wide variety of shafts + misc equipment)

BUT

I went to the Roanoke, VA store when I was working up there one day.

HOLY SH*T these guys were a joke.
1. Asked a guy if they had any X-stiff shafts because my launch angle is around 20* with Alida 65-S. His reply, "You don't need an x-tra stiff shaft, that won't do anything for launch angle." WRONG
2. Went to demo a few drivers while I was there, got into demo room, tee'd one up on the mat and swung away. The mat was not secured to the floor by anything and sllid about 6" to the left, aka the ball fell off the tee in mid swing and I duffed one. I turned around and told the guy, "Whats up with this mat? It's not even secured to anything." His response was that i was SWINGING TOO HARD!
3. So by now I'm about to give up but I wanted to see my launch angle and RPM's with the FT-5. I a hit a few and go back to check out the launch monitor only to find that the machine is messed up. It was saying I was swinging 67mph clubhead speed. I told him it was wrong and he said maybe, so I left.

So yes and no

67 mph clubhead speed? At the Dick's where I live they only hire golfers in the golf department, at least. Most golfers are clueless about the technical aspects, but at least they could tell the difference between a 65 and 105mph swing speed.

Dick's has the dumbest help on the planet and not much variety. Just lot's of TM clubs and alot of golf balls. Not a big selection of putters, no shafts or components other then a couple grips. Overall really sucks. :)

Dick's by me carries golf shafts, and grips. In a very limited selection, but I am pretty sure they have the standards that most people would look for. As for shopping there - you can find some amazing deals at a Dick's. Back in highschool Dick's began carrying scotty's for a bit and I picked up a newport 2 through a friend who worked there for less than $200. I don't think they realized what they had. I recommend looking there for prices as they will go on sale better than GG sometimes, but the reverse is also true. So back to comparison shopping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520