• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver loft question

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm sure we have all heard that usamateurs need more loft. I figure this is a great forum to pose this topic because looking at everybody's sig, there are a wide range of lofts on drivers. I have been playing with a 10.5* driver for the last 3 seasons and am pretty happy with that loft. I have noticed that some heads launch higher than others. For instance I had an FT-5 Tour head with an epic shaft that I just hit moon balls with. My question is this, what difference would a player notice going down 1* in loft?

Example: If I had a 10.5* head with a low launching shaft, would that perform close to a 9.5* head with a mid/high launching shaft? I just have a hard time believing that 1* of loft makes a huge amount of difference and would love to hear some opinions on it.

All other things being equal, your launch angle would go down 1*, and you'd get a little less backspin due to the decrease in loft. "Huge amount of difference" is relative, I guess. If you drive it 240 with your current setup, and 1* less effective loft would add 8 yards, is that "huge?" That's not out of the question, either. I play 9.5, but I hit the ball quite high usually. I'm not going to screw around with that until improving my scores really comes down to hitting the ball farther; i.e., I'm hitting my irons how I'd like to.

There are so other factors in effective loft though; shaft deflection, angle of attack; and the ball you're playing can have an impact too. Of course different heads have different centers of gravity that will affect flight of the ball as well. Really pinpointing the best driver for you requires that your swing is really on when you hit that launch monitor. If you're on a monitor and you're not making a good, strong swing, I can't imagine those numbers helping.

If you want to go down in loft, get the same head, and the same shaft, with a lower loft. Or the same head, same loft, with a "lower launching" shaft.

Or, just play golf :p

• Staff
All other things being equal, your launch angle would go down 1*, and you'd get a little less backspin due to the decrease in loft. "Huge amount of difference" is relative, I guess. If you drive it 240 with your current setup, and 1* less effective loft would add 8 yards, is that "huge?" That's not out of the question, either. I play 9.5, but I hit the ball quite high usually. I'm not going to screw around with that until improving my scores really comes down to hitting the ball farther; i.e., I'm hitting my irons how I'd like to.

There are so other factors in effective loft though; shaft deflection, angle of attack; and the ball you're playing can have an impact too. Of course different heads have different centers of gravity that will affect flight of the ball as well. Really pinpointing the best driver for you requires that your swing is really on when you hit that launch monitor. If you're on a monitor and you're not making a good, strong swing, I can't imagine those numbers helping.

If you want to go down in loft, get the same head, and the same shaft, with a lower loft. Or the same head, same loft, with a "lower launching" shaft.

Or, just play golf :p

I'm considering going down in loft but the club I am considering has a higher launching shaft. I also am a high ball hitter, I have never-ever had an issue getting the ball off the ground. My issue is keeping the ball from ballooning or just going to the moon. I'm just curious how much loft really affects flight in a driver-both height wise and directional.

Changing loft will have a more dramtic effect on launch conditions than a shaft change will. The only reason that a higher lofted driver is straighter is because it adds backspin. It is also possible that it will be a little shorter, adding to fairways hit. My advice? Use the lowest lofted driver you can get away with, and fall in love with a 3 wood and hit that often. I find using a high lofted driver with a shorter shaft silly if you can discipline yourself to hit 3 wood on shorter, tighter holes.

Shaft changes only make small changes in ballflight.

I agree with Clug, but I think the shaft is the biggest part of the equation. It makes a head, night and day difference.

I've always used 9.5*... People say higher loft is better for the AM. player. I don't give a damn about that.

I think if you hit the ball high, and I do the same with my driver.. You should look at a few things.. If you want a 9.5* I think thats a decent choice, you'll get some lower spin, but depending on the heads your comparing, one could have higher spin than the other, and all else could be equal between a 10.5* and 9.5* head.

If you like the high launch, which I think is a good thing.. Higher spin, gives more carry for those that don't have tour swing speeds. I think people get TOO little spin these days with the head/shaft combos and leave alot on the table. I have a "high launch" head by all the advertising that TM does. But I've changed the weight of the head forward, and put a high launch, heavier shaft into the head. The heavier shaft, lowered my spin, which lowered the launch slightly for me. Or I use a mid launch, low spin shaft for the head and I get a slightly lower launch.

Point of this ramble? Get what you want. If you like the higher launch, get a head that does that, get the lower loft, and find a shaft to match the profile you want. From there, I think you could tip the shaft to play lower launching, get something heavier to knock out the spin/launch.. You could even keep the shaft you want and just get it a flex stiffer, that will lower the launch too.

• Staff
It's an FT-5 Tour with a Redboard, 63g in it. I had an FT-5 in 10.5* that I hit moonballs with which is why I was thinking 9.5*. I think I may just grab it, worst case I throw it on ebay and get my money back.

higher loft to me is just tee the ball up another 1/2".

I have 4 drivers right now. The one that performs the best for me on a launch monitor ranks third on the course. I'll rank them best to worst.

Best on the course: Taylormade Burner 07' 9.5 stock S-Flex
#2 on the course: Titlest 907 D1 8.5 stock S-flex
#3 on the course: Titlist 909D3 9.5 X-Flex Whiteboard shaft\
#4 on the course: Titleist 905R in 9.5 winth a ProForce V2 x-flex

According to the machine the 909d3 is the driver for me. Really good numbers. Problem is my swin has to be spot on to hit fairways with it. Its a confidence thing. Meanwhile the off the shelf Taylormade inspires confidence and I can hit fairways all day with it. What I am getting at is that there are so many factors both technical and mental. Loft is only one piece of the puzzle. The only two drivers listed above that perform similar to each other for me are #3 and #4.
Its all about hitting fairways.

In the book IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT CLUB Wishon stated that most folks that are not scratch golfers would be better off with more loft in their driver. Swing speed is a big factor. You have to have a lot of speed to power your drives out there with little spin for YOUR maximum distance. Slower swing speeds get greater distance with more spin which gives them more hang time. I went from a Titleist 9.5 to a Ping G10 with regular shaft and 12.5 degrees loft. Close to ten yards improvement in distance and a lot more control. If you hit drives that are too high, my guess is that your angle of attack is too steep. Wishon says it is an ego thing with driver loft, and that you can paint over the higher loft if that bugs you. Also, it amazed me how much more golfers are concerned about distance off the tee than accuracy, and especially how they spend too little time on short game stuff. Birdies are more about iron shot accuracy than driver distance. Lastly, Wishon also stresses avoiding the longer club shafts since it makes sweet spot contact more difficult to achieve. Slowing down and concentrating on smooth tempo and solid contact gives you a better chance at improved distance, especially useable distance (like inbounds!). Sincerely Cypressperch

In the book IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT CLUB Wishon stated that most folks that are not scratch golfers would be better off with more loft in their driver. Swing speed is a big factor. You have to have a lot of speed to power your drives out there with little spin for YOUR maximum distance. Slower swing speeds get greater distance with more spin which gives them more hang time. I went from a Titleist 9.5 to a Ping G10 with regular shaft and 12.5 degrees loft. Close to ten yards improvement in distance and a lot more control. If you hit drives that are too high, my guess is that your angle of attack is too steep. Wishon says it is an ego thing with driver loft, and that you can paint over the higher loft if that bugs you. Also, it amazed me how much more golfers are concerned about distance off the tee than accuracy, and especially how they spend too little time on short game stuff. Birdies are more about iron shot accuracy than driver distance. Lastly, Wishon also stresses avoiding the longer club shafts since it makes sweet spot contact more difficult to achieve. Slowing down and concentrating on smooth tempo and solid contact gives you a better chance at improved distance, especially useable distance (like inbounds!). Sincerely Cypressperch

So with a steep angle of attack would more or less loft be beneficial?

How are you getting a steep angle of attack with a DRIVER? I mean, you should be hitting up into the ball with the driver, slightly, so how are you doing that steeply?

Lower loft would be better with a steeper swing, I suppose, since you're already adding backspin with your swing plane.

You need to keep in mind that virtually every driver out there (to my knowledge, everything except some Wishon heads) have face roll, which means your 9* driver has between 7.5* and 11* built in to the face. Hit it a little high or low on the face and that loft you painstakingly decided on is a moot point. That's why I don't look at drivers anymore.

It is very amusing the lengths we go to to assure that the perfect swing produces perfect results. The perfect swing we make 1 out of every 300 swings.

If you hit the FT-5 high.. Then the TOUR version will offer a lower trajectory.

My dad has one with a V2 in it, and it's a laser.

Also.. work on ball placement.. Bring it back in a bit in your stance and see if it'll help. Should catch it sooner without the higher launch. Hell, even pay attention to how you tee it up. I see some guys tee it up low, and play it off their shoe laces. They launch it over the moon.

It is very amusing the lengths we go to to assure that the perfect swing produces perfect results. The perfect swing we make 1 out of every 300 swings.

I beg your pardon, I get at least 2 perfect swings out of every 300 thank you!

How are you getting a steep angle of attack with a DRIVER? I mean, you should be hitting up into the ball with the driver, slightly, so how are you doing that steeply?

Lower loft would be better with a steeper swing, I suppose, since you're already adding backspin with your swing plane.

You need to keep in mind that virtually every driver out there (to my knowledge, everything except some Wishon heads) have face roll, which means your 9* driver has between 7.5* and 11* built in to the face. Hit it a little high or low on the face and that loft you painstakingly decided on is a moot point. That's why I don't look at drivers anymore.

I don't know, I was just going off what Cypress had said in his post. Surprisingly enough, I know a good deal about shafts, heads, flight and all that when it comes to irons, I just know what I like and what to look for. For some reason with a driver I am a little more...lost!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520