• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver, woods, out of the bag for now.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Driver, out of here, so is the 5&7 woods.:real angry:
Untill I can rework my swing with these unholy, evil clubs, I'm playing with 3-PW, 56* and a putter.
Might even go pick up a 2 iron.

I can hit my 3 iron consistanly off the ground, or off a tee over 200 straight, so why am I struggling with the driver and the woods?

I'm keeping the 27* hybrid in there too for getting out of high rough.

Driver, out of here, so is the 5&7 woods.:real angry:
Untill I can rework my swing with these unholy, evil clubs, I'm playing with 3-PW, 56* and a putter.
Might even go pick up a 2 iron.

I can hit my 3 iron consistanly off the ground, or off a tee over 200 straight, so why am I struggling with the driver and the woods?

I'm keeping the 27* hybrid in there too for getting out of high rough.
Because you swing smooth with the 3-iron, and get after it with the woods.

OK! This is what happened.
I've been working hard on a new swing for my irons.
This lag thing is coming along fine, and I'm hitting more and more pure shots. My ball flight is more acurate, and a bit longer then before.
This all makes me happy, however my woods, and my driver just went in the crapper.

Not that it was so good before, but now, I'm totally lost with these clubs.

Because you swing smooth with the 3-iron, and get after it with the woods.

Yes it's true, that since I started swinging smooth with my irons it is now much better, but I tried the same smooth swing with the woods, and its all shit.

Jesus C...I'm taking divots with my 5 wood...:shocked::shocked:

I take a divot with a driver off the deck.
icon10.gif
Something that helped me a little when I was getting steep (see infamous pic Sling posted last yr., lol) was to 1) adress the ball off the toe of the driver for a little while 2) take a couple swings around my body, like a baseball swing before hitting a drive. Now it's just a matter of starting my downswing with my lower body, if I start with arms I can still get steep, usually drop shoulder and hit a big block slice.

I feel like doing the opposite of you & yanking all the irons out of my bag, get a 7 + 9 w to replace them.

I take a divot with a driver off the deck
I tried to hit a driver off the deck once.
It really wasn't a good idea.:biglol:

Anyway, I've been looking at those you tube videos of Jack Nicklaus swing tips.
Not much difference between his iron swing, and his 3 wood swing.

I feel like doing the opposite of you & yanking all the irons out of my bag, get a 7 + 9 w to replace them.
I bet if we got together, and shot a round, me just hitting the irons, and you just hitting the woods, and driver, between us we could shoot in the 70s.

We need to get Big Jim, to do the putting for us though.

(see infamous pic Sling posted last yr., lol)

Sorry, but I still smile whenever I think of that pic - not for what it was showing, but more how EVERYONE instantly noticed the direction the ball was going and rushed to point it out to you!

One of the funniest threads I've ever seen on Shottalk, and fair play to you for taking all the ribbing in such a good spirit! :D

Jesus C...I'm taking divots with my 5 wood...:shocked::shocked:

And you should be.

All swings, except possibly with the driver, should create a small divot in front of the ball. You must have a forward swing bottom to have a good ball strike.

This has been really hard for me to learn to do. I have known I needed to do it, but didn't know how to achiece it consistently. If you haven't read Bobby Clampett's The Impact Zone, then I highly recommend it.

I tried to hit a driver off the deck once.
It really wasn't a good idea.:biglol:

Anyway, I've been looking at those you tube videos of Jack Nicklaus swing tips.
Not much difference between his iron swing, and his 3 wood swing.

I couldn't hit the FTi off the deck because they put that stupid ridge across the bottom of it. I have to say that when I took my old BurnerTP and the Superquad to the range, hit off the grass and put them into a generous lie, tried to elevate them off the deck... that made hitting my fairway woods a piece of cake. 2 biggest things I realized, my grip was too strong and I was shutting the face into impact and I wasn't staying connected with my swing. Once I got used to the odd feeling I was hitting with an open face, weaken grip, no hands release, just all body, they flew high and straight. Unbelievable to go from low and mostly left to about as high as an 8iron and straight with a 13* head off the deck. If you have a copy of 5 lessons, it's the Hogan grip basically. Feels really weird at first to not have that right hand actively turning over but it works like magic... don't get me wrong, it does turn over, just not consciously, it merely follows the body left through the ball.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54