• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dustin Johnson: 'I Played Just Well Enough'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Reaction score

NEW WORLD NO. 1 DUSTIN JOHNSON made another statement by winning the WGC-Mexico Championship at Chapultepec Golf Club in Mexico City by one shot over England's Tommy Fleetwood. Johnson fired a final-round 68 to finish 14 under. It was his fourth WGC title.

DJ is suddenly a closer. Tournaments used to slip through his fingers. Now they slip into them.

"It means a lot," Johnson told Golf Channel's Steve Sands about winning as the top-ranked player in the world.

"Obviously it is a tough spot to be in. There is a lot of pressure on you and I came out and played really well. I felt like I hit the ball great all week. You know, the greens, they are tough to putt on. I didn't feel like I putted my best. But I really hit the ball well. I played just well enough I guess because I won by one."

Other top guns played well. Back in action after a rib injury, Rory McIlroy was the 36-hole leader but couldn't keep pace on the weekend with a 70 and 71. Third-round leader Justin Thomas faded on Sunday. Jon Rahm made a charge and was tied for the lead with Johnson until two three-putt bogeys dropped him to a T3 finish.

Phil Mickelson showed promise with a 10-under total, good for a seventh-place tie with McIlroy and Brandt Snedeker.

A new venue for a WGC event, the world's best players struggled on the deceptive putting surfaces. Johnson, who seems unfazed by anything that happens on a golf course, hung in there and putted well enough to prevail.

"The first day I didn’t feel like I was hitting bad putts," he said. "I was frustrated, but you know I didn't feel like I was doing anything wrong with the putter. So I just kept trying to read the putts as best as I could and just really commit to the lines I was going to pick and make a good stroke."

Source: Dustin Johnson: 'I Played Just Well Enough'

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427