• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FedEx Cup - 1st ever Playoff's???

I read somewhere that's it's $10M in deferred compensation so they won't get it all at once. More than likely an annuity. It's lets the PGA tour hype the prize amount without having to come up with the whole amount.

If they can attract the top players it will help late season ratings though.

That's right -- it's an annuity, not like they are giving them a check for $10M. If they were doing that then I could probably get excited about the whole Fed-Ex Cup thing. There would be some serious pressure playing for a $10M check, about like playing for a major title I'd think.

"Hey, I just missed a 3 footer for $10M!" :laugh:

The annuity is deferred until they retire! So, they can access the money when they are 65 years old or they pay tax penalties that are enourmous.

So, in reality, no one gets 10 million.

Straight from Tiger's mouth.

R35

The annuity is deferred until they retire! So, they can access the money when they are 65 years old or they pay tax penalties that are enourmous.

So, in reality, no one gets 10 million.

Straight from Tiger's mouth.

R35

Yeah, so, a simple calculation based on 6% annual interest and that Tiger is 31 years old is that they only have to put $1.37 million in the fund today so it will be $10 million by the time Tiger is 65. Or, represented in another way, the tour only has to deposit about $100,000 a year to total $10 million by the time Tiger hits 65.

It does make you wonder if they are rooting for a younger player to win -- less upfront or year-to-year costs.

I work in PR and almost want to try spinning this for the PGA Tour out of pity... :p You guys are harsh!

you guys are very harsh. If it extends the golf season & i can watch the best players in the world play 4 nights a week then I'm up for it. Who knows in years to come this may be the event that over shadows the majors. It has happened in Football (soccer) The European Cup was throwned upon at 1st with only a handful of teams willing to participate and now it is the biggest tourney in club football & everybody wants to win it.

you guys are very harsh. If it extends the golf season & i can watch the best players in the world play 4 nights a week then I'm up for it. Who knows in years to come this may be the event that over shadows the majors. It has happened in Football (soccer) The European Cup was throwned upon at 1st with only a handful of teams willing to participate and now it is the biggest tourney in club football & everybody wants to win it.

Sorry - not a chance. Golf fans (as opposed to casual golf viewers) will always put the majors at the top of their "must see" list. The FEDEX tourneys are just more golf events that we will, of course, watch.

The reason the FEDEX Cup exists is to try to pull in the guy who ONLY watches the majors (or Tiger, or Phil, or whatever...). Those casual viewers will never raise TV revenue for this event above the revenue and viewership numbers of the majors.

I'd bet money on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427