• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

For All You "Phil is the Best Guy On the Face Of The Planet" Guys...

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Reaction score
Its not cheating. If the USGA didn't want this to happen, they should have written it into the rule. Daly did it first, so now everyone will be playing catch up. My guess is that next week, most bags will have Ping Eye wedges.

What is with this "spirit of the rules" bullshit? If you write a rule, write it to have the desired effect. Lazy bums. I have no less respect for Phil, because he is following the rules as written. Is this worse then the Tiger "loose impediment" issue? Same thing. Rules officials made a determination, and it took ten guys to roll the impediment, but apparently it was within the rules.

If they are legal clubs then how is it cheating? A lot of players out there are using them for the spin advantage.

I guess my Ping Eye2 clubs just went up in value!

I see no problem with what Phil, Daly..et al are doing...they are simply using the rules to their advantage...

Golf is based on adhering to the rules and using your wits to use the rules not just as peramiters, but also as tools.

Such as using a driver to act as your gauge in taking a free drop when you were using a wedge at the time....or going back I remember VJ and a few others crying "Foul" when belly putters were introduced...or Hybrids.....

Unlike Tiger who was lucky to have ten goons lift a boulder out of his way.....ANYONE can buy a Ping Eye2 and use it themselves.

not cheating. not a scumbag

People in glass houses....

Phil is proving a point to the USGA. Nothing more. He's doing this for you, the little guy.

Now, why is he a scumbag again?

I don't like Phil, but when the facts are not known, you gotta defend that....

R35

This is ridiculous. If players think he's cheating, then buy yourself the same wedge!!!! It is only a cheat if you are the only one capable of doing so.
And yes, that "spirit of the game" is the worst crap in the entire world. What do those "Game Spiritist" do playing with five-layer balls, 460cc Titanium Drivers and GI irons?
Shouldn't the "real spirit" of the game be playing with wooden "woods", two layer balls, and small "iron" irons? Or even more, shouldn't it be played with wooden canes and wooden balls to keep the "classic tradition"? For God's sake, grow up!!!

It's not cheating.. such a bunch of crap. The wedges are USGA approved, end of discussion.

Doesn't count as a golf tournament anyways since Tiger isn't playing, right?

I think I'm about to scour e-bay and all the golf stores in town to buy all the eye-2 square groove wedges I can find.:smilie_ping:

Well. Expected you guys to possibly react a little differently.

I can understand that the club is legal thanks to all the fine print. I'm one that was just excited to see the USGA do something to try and make the game a little harder for the pros. And for Mickelson, who has been one of the more erratic players (and thus taking advantage of the stopping power of super grooves) to weasel out of the changes thanks to a small technicality just doesn't sit well with me. I guess I'm alone on this...so, let bygones by bygones.

excellent point xamilo

This is ridiculous. If players think he's cheating, then buy yourself the same wedge!!!! It is only a cheat if you are the only one capable of doing so.
And yes, that "spirit of the game" is the worst crap in the entire world. What do those "Game Spiritist" do playing with five-layer balls, 460cc Titanium Drivers and GI irons? Shouldn't the "real spirit" of the game be playing with wooden "woods", two layer balls, and small "iron" irons? Or even more, shouldn't it be played with wooden canes and wooden balls to keep the "classic tradition"? For God's sake, grow up!!!

and doesnt Scott McCarron use a long putter? some people say those things should be illegal

Totally legal what Phil et. al. are doing and it's a great big "****YOU" to the USGA. I love how Phil handled his press conference saying, in essence, "Yes, these clubs shouldn't be used, and I think the rule to change the grooves is rediculous, and having separate rules for amatuers and pros is stupid. But I'm still going to use the clubs anyway." One of the few things I have liked about Phil.

He's actually swaying me as a fan over this.

The pros that are bitching probably have an "all club" contract with their OEM so they can't legally switch without losing endorsement money and possibly paying penalties under a breach of contract.

It isn't a coincidence that McCarron was wearing a TaylorMade hat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520