• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frequency Matching

For me, it's the same with golf balls. Golf forums attract weekend hackers who claim they only play [insert premium brand ball] because of its [insert bullsh!t claims]. I guarantee that when I put a good swing on a two or three piece ball, the outcome will be good enough and probably indistinguishable than if I had hit a ProV.
I could probably play with a semi-round rock I found in the parking lot at the course I'm going to play an shoot within 10% of my normal score.

Should you have a favorite iron, as an example....a frequency machine can determine the actual stiffness of that club in cycles per minute (cpm). Your other irons can be adjusted (in most cases) to be the exact cpm as your favorite iron (on a curve since they are different lengths), thus a 'frequency matched set'....so every iron is the exact stiffness. Just because the label on the club says 'r' for regular doesn't mean it's actually regular, nor does it matter, as the important thing to identify, is what frequency (stiffness) is right for you....then replicate thru the set.
Same concept applies with MOI (Moment of Inertia) matching a set of irons. Every iron has the exact same MOI, blah, blah. The math makes sense, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice.

I have found that frequency/MOI matching a set reduces handicap by about 15%...some would prefer clubs that are all the same...some not...to each his own. I draw a comparison to a new suit...most guys do not purchase a suit off the rack without regard to size or fit....a tailor makes sure the sleeves are the correct length, the length is proper, and there is no bunching behind the neck, although both a fitted suit and one off the rack cover your body....and nowadays, a set of clubs cost more than a suit. Granted, a higher handicap golfer is less repetitive with a good swing, but clubs should work for you without you adjusting a swing to suit a club.

For me, it's the same with golf balls. Golf forums seem to attract weekend hackers who claim they only play [insert premium brand ball] because of its [insert bullsh!t claims]. I guarantee that when I put a good swing on a two or three piece ball, the outcome will be good enough and probably indistinguishable than if I had hit a ProV.
Totally agree. Most of us could play as well with Top Rocks as we could with ProV's. I shot one of my lowest rounds with a Nike MOJO. Right now, I'm using 15 year old ProV's found on a course I used to play. They are the old '384' version. The reason I like the ProV... or other relatively soft cover balls... is our small, postage stamp greens. I can chip to a green and have the ball stay. With the harder balls, they are more apt to roll off or roll way past the pin. If I would practice/play with nothing but the harder balls, could probably adapt the short game. I have cartons of NXT's, NXT Tours, MOJOs, and a couple dozen NXT Extremes in the basement. Make me no difference as long as I don't have to buy them.
I feel it's the same way with lie angle, loft, frequency matching, shaft length, etc. Had a visit, yesterday, with a recently retired college prof. He is 60ish and has never played golf. Wants to take up the game. Asked me where he should go to get fit properly. I told him to go find a used set of clubs and spend the rest of the money on lessons. Once he practices/plays enough to actually find the back of the ball with the face of the club, then he can begin thinking about having clubs fitted for him. Today, he or a fitter have zero idea what shape of a dynamic swing he may develop. When we used to dirt track race, we'd set the timing and tune the carb and make sure we had the correct rear end for the track length. We knew that car was tuned exactly for that track. And, it was until we would hit someone or roll the durned thing. If we would have had a professional driver who could have kept the thing between the rails, the tuning may have worked. I have zero problem with those who are OCD about their clubs. This game is 90% mental. Then other 10% is all in your head. If "tuning" your clubs by frequency matching, daily checking the loft/lie angle, using a micrometer on the grip diameter, etc. make one believe they will play better... they WILL!! The state golf association says my handicap is now in mid-single digits at 70 years old. That is accomplished with off-the-shelf clubs. Could I play better with fitted clubs? At my age, I honestly doubt it. I would rather have clubs I am fairly confident in and know each of their individual personalities than worry that one shaft might not be within 5 cpm of another.

My favorite iron is the one I put a good swing on. I have hit great shots, and terrible shots with all of the clubs in my bag.

Again, I'm simply not good enough to know the difference.
^^^THIS^^^

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424