• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Balls for Juniors

Just keep in mind that a softer ball will only magnify your mishits. If you tend to slice/hook with a rock-hard distance ball, you will hook/slice even more with a softer ball.

the slower your swing, the more you will benefit from a softer ball. I'm 15, almost 16, and I will get another 20 yards using a pro v off the tee as opposed to a "distance ball" (which really only work for really fast swingers)

My guess is that you would benefit from a ball labeled as fell. they are nice and soft, along with lady balls, and that should help you get a bit more distance out of your clubs.
This doesn't make any sense. Distance balls are designed with lower compression cores to increase ball speed with lower swing speeds. ProV is a higher compression ball that benefits those with a higher swing speed.

Maybe you just feel more like a golfer hitting a ProV, and subconsciously swing better?

Just keep in mind that a softer ball will only magnify your mishits. If you tend to slice/hook with a rock-hard distance ball, you will hook/slice even more with a softer ball.
I don't understand this either. I thought that spin characteristics were defined by cover design, mantle design (for 3-piece balls,) mantle/cover interface, mantle/core interface design, and dimple design.

For example, the ProV1 and the ProV1x have the same compression, travel about the same distance, and yet the ProV1 spins more. The Top-Flight D2-Straight and the Top-Flight D2 Feel have the same compression, but the Feel spins more.

I know that some distance balls have teflon coatings to reduce spin, and that cover design directly affects how hard or soft a ball feels. But I don't believe that spin and distance are as directly related as you think.

I could be wrong. It's happened once before.

This doesn't make any sense. Distance balls are designed with lower compression cores to increase ball speed with lower swing speeds. ProV is a higher compression ball that benefits those with a higher swing speed.

you are gonna call me nuts on this, but its true.

go buy some distance balls. now bite them. they feel really solid right? high compression. no go buy some feel balls. bite them. a lot more give right? Lower compression.

and the Pro V series is low compression, like 80-85 ish.

know why they are called distance balls? because that's what sells them, and they are rock hard because hard balls are cheaper to make than soft balls.

you are gonna call me nuts on this, but its true.

go buy some distance balls. now bite them. they feel really solid right? high compression. no go buy some feel balls. bite them. a lot more give right? Lower compression.

and the Pro V series is low compression, like 80-85 ish.

know why they are called distance balls? because that's what sells them, and they are rock hard because hard balls are cheaper to make than soft balls.
I think you're confusing a hard cover with the core characteristics. Besides, the ProV1x is a hard ball, with lower spin characteristics than the ProV1. It's designed for - yep - distance. And it's not a cheap ball.

The new distance balls like the D2 Distance have core compression numbers like 58. Look at the new Wison 50/50. Yep, 50 compression. And some of the "softer" balls have even lower compression numbers.

No need to beat this one to death. I'm no expert on golf balls. If you are, then I bow to your superior knowledge...:laugh:

yes, you will fell mostly the cover compression with a finger nail, thats why I said to use your mouth.

and the D2 distnace is one of the balls that just happens to be suited for slower swings. distane balls work great... if you can swing at 105+

and from what I've read, compression will vary from 50ish up to as much as 110, so I'm sure there are enough variables that you just need to play all the balls and pick a favorite.

Without a doubt the Maxfli Noodle Ice. You can get the white ones for $10 a dozen at 3balls.com. Lyle did testing on most balls and found these longer then anything else. And I have too. But I still like the better balls. :)

What the hell are you doing biting your balls?

getting a better fell for hardness than squeezing can do. I only do it to cleaned ones.

if you feel you are too manly to put teeth on a golf ball you could also bounce it. the more bounce from the same drop height the lower the compression. but thats not as fun. but it might be a bit more accurate.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520