• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf brand perception

Wilson...shadow of former glory.
Spalding........gone
MacGregor....gone
PowerBilt......gone
First Flite....gone
Dunlop...........gone
PGA/Tommy Armour....gone.
Ram....gone
Lynx....gone
Titleist....wedges, putters, and balls--the rest is not what it was.
Cobra.....substantially diminished from a decade or two ago
Adams.....languishing
Ping.....major player still, but seems to be slipping
Callaway...good tech, cheesy graphics
TaylorMade...corporate monster, but original Pittsburgh Persimmons may have been their best club
Miura...fading, but still classy
Epon....great utilities
Fourteen...see Epon
PRGR....up and down
Louisville...real wood still rocks
Stan Thompson Ginty....gone
Jerry Barber Golden Touch....gone
Scratch.....no Kenneth Smith
Kenneth Smith....very regretfully gone
Hogan...hopefully back, but who knows?

Scary fact...there are fewer choices now than there were thirty-five years ago. Manufacturing company leagues were the feeder for bringing the working class into the game. We have no more domestic manufacturing.

ping_zpstdnvdwon.jpg

That is all..............

Wilson...shadow of former glory.
Spalding........gone
MacGregor....gone
PowerBilt......gone
First Flite....gone
Dunlop...........gone
PGA/Tommy Armour....gone.
Ram....gone
Lynx....gone
Titleist....wedges, putters, and balls--the rest is not what it was.
Cobra.....substantially diminished from a decade or two ago
Adams.....languishing
Ping.....major player still, but seems to be slipping
Callaway...good tech, cheesy graphics
TaylorMade...corporate monster, but original Pittsburgh Persimmons may have been their best club
Miura...fading, but still classy
Epon....great utilities
Fourteen...see Epon
PRGR....up and down
Louisville...real wood still rocks
Stan Thompson Ginty....gone
Jerry Barber Golden Touch....gone
Scratch.....no Kenneth Smith
Kenneth Smith....very regretfully gone
Hogan...hopefully back, but who knows?

Scary fact...there are fewer choices now than there were thirty-five years ago. Manufacturing company leagues were the feeder for bringing the working class into the game. We have no more domestic manufacturing.
You forgot Mizuno...GOAT!!!

Don't forget Nike Golf. Everything of theirs is crap apparently.

You forgot Mizuno...GOAT!!!
I thought it was a pretty good list. Some of those names have been long forgotten. Mizzy still provides clubs for a few debutantes and other young ladies who enjoy using their irons as a mirror to make sure they don't have an eyelash out of place..... ;);)

Don't forget Nike Golf. Everything of theirs is crap apparently.
I sorta like Nike. Not every club manufacturer can take the World #1's from the pinnacle of his profession to relegation as a 'has-been'. I hear their irons do a masterful job on Escalade windows, though.:D:D

I sorta like Nike. Not every club manufacturer can take the World #1's from the pinnacle of his profession to relegation as a 'has-been'. I hear their irons do a masterful job on Escalade windows, though.:D:D

They helped David Duval crash too.............consistency is good.

I have a buddy who plays a full set of vapor, p-driver, he loves em, it ain't the arrow that's broke, it's the Indian that is shitty.

Mizuno was a big omission. They have some of the best Past Models in all of golf, but like everybody else, they have to come up with new stuff to market.

Maybe the big corporate manufacturer isn't the best idea for golf equipment for just that reason. Maybe the true custom builder--not the assembler--the guy who has your irons custom ground--is the way to go. Maybe we should get accustomed to paying four or five grand for a decent set of sticks, and maybe we should keep them for fifteen, twenty years or so.

Golf clubs have become like cell phones and operating systems. Nobody makes what you want or need. They're just good at selling you what they know how to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520