• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Great Shots of ALL time!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
So I was watching ESPN this morning, goes good with my morning coffee, and they have a show "Who's number 1". This morning they counted down the greatest golf shots of all time. #1 was Watsons chip in at the US Open at Pebble, not bad, not my choice though. The one I have the bigger issue with though is I think it was #4, Tiger's chip in at augusta in 2005. No way was that shot worthy of top 5, not even top 10 in my mind.

The shot of his that stands out in my mind was 2002 at Hazeltine, I think it was the 18th hole. Tiger drove into a bunker as he was chasing down Rich Beem. He got to his ball and it was in the side of a bunker, not buried but below his feet. He also had trees in his line, so he needed to draw it around them. I dont know how many of you have tried to hit a draw off a downhill lie but its almost impossible for the mere mortal...needless to say, Tiger hit 7i from like 202, out of a downhill, sidehill lie in a bunker around trees to 15-18ft and then sank the putt for birdie....That was a great shot, not the chip in at augusta (that any pro could have hit)!!!

Anybody seen this program or have other great shots to discuss?

PS-sorry about the long post

I was watching the The challenge on the golf channel yesterday and it consisted of Tiger, Furyk, Weir, and Ogilve. They asked how they hit draws and fades and Tiger hit this draw that was absolutely incredible, it was a massive draw that probably drawed about 100 yards off of his target line. The guy is incredible and even the other Touring pros in the challenge were mostly in awe.

i think that the reason this shot is ranked so high is because of the circumstances. i mean leading by 1 shot, dimarco has a decent birdie chance, and he had a very difficult chip shot. he studied that green for a good 2-3 full mnutes and calculated everything for it, including speed, spin, where he wanted it to land etc. it was absolutely PERFECTLY executed, and almost couldn't have come at a more oppurtune time

I was watching the The challenge on the golf channel yesterday and it consisted of Tiger, Furyk, Weir, and Ogilve. They asked how they hit draws and fades and Tiger hit this draw that was absolutely incredible, it was a massive draw that probably drawed about 100 yards off of his target line. The guy is incredible and even the other Touring pros in the challenge were mostly in awe.

so he hooks it 100 yards and calls it a draw?:) riiight

Anyway,Watsons shot was incredible,as was Hogans one iron at Merion,last hole US Open,legs gone,could barely stand,needed a 4,got it.

Tigers bunker shot was awesome,but had no pressure

Sarazens 4 wood and also,in 1985,Torrance's drive down the 18th in the Ryder cup

Being that I was there to see it live I have to say Tigers bunker shot on the 18th at Glen Abbey to seal the deal on the Canadian Open. He had no business at all trying to hit the shot he did, let alone put it right over the flag to 15 feet. It was an unreal shot.

Trivia time : Who did Tiger beat with this shot?

i think that the reason this shot is ranked so high is because of the circumstances. i mean leading by 1 shot, dimarco has a decent birdie chance, and he had a very difficult chip shot. he studied that green for a good 2-3 full mnutes and calculated everything for it, including speed, spin, where he wanted it to land etc. it was absolutely PERFECTLY executed, and almost couldn't have come at a more oppurtune time

Not to mention the fact he had putted into a water hazard in an ealier round so that must have been in the back of his mind.

What about Sergio's shot from behind the tree where he could have easily broke his wrist on roots but commited to a full shot that he played it perfectly, just a shame he didn't win the tournament.

Casey's hole in one at the Ryder cup to win the match was awesome aswell.

Freddy Couples par 3 at the dreaded island hole at Sawgrass. After ditching his 1st in the pond he re-loaded and his 3 off the tee slam dunked straight into the hole without touching the sides.

The shot I have been most impressed with was Tiger's 6-iron out of a bunker up and around a tree off a hanging lie and sticks it into 15/18 feet. How he did that and managed to keep perfect balance throughout the stroke is beyond me.

Y
O
U

A
R
E

T
H
E

M
A
N

!
!
!

The shot of his that stands out in my mind was 2002 at Hazeltine, I think it was the 18th hole. Tiger drove into a bunker as he was chasing down Rich Beem. He got to his ball and it was in the side of a bunker, not buried but below his feet. He also had trees in his line, so he needed to draw it around them. I dont know how many of you have tried to hit a draw off a downhill lie but its almost impossible for the mere mortal...needless to say, Tiger hit 7i from like 202, out of a downhill, sidehill lie in a bunker around trees to 15-18ft and then sank the putt for birdie....That was a great shot, not the chip in at augusta (that any pro could have hit)!!!

Dont forget he was also hitting over water (a lake) as well.

What about Sergio's shot from behind the tree where he could have easily broke his wrist on roots but commited to a full shot that he played it perfectly, just a shame he didn't win the tournament.
i
Thats my #1 shot. Staring down The Tiger and hitting that shot where he coulda ended up with broken wrists. It takes balls to even attempt that shot, nvrm pull it off AGAINST TIGER HIMSELF.

Being that I was there to see it live I have to say Tigers bunker shot on the 18th at Glen Abbey to seal the deal on the Canadian Open. He had no business at all trying to hit the shot he did, let alone put it right over the flag to 15 feet. It was an unreal shot.

Trivia time : Who did Tiger beat with this shot?

This is the one I remember. 200+ yard 6 iron from the bunker over 200 yards of lake, all carry. 2 putt to win by one. Insane

Lets go back in time to 2000 at pebble beach. He rips a 7 iron a mile to get get on the green in 2 on that monster par 5 on the front 9. Im talking about the green being 30+ feet over your head!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • Staff
Tigers bunker shot was awesome,but had no pressure

No Pressure??? He was trailing by 1 or 2 shots on the 18th hole of the PGA Championship. Granted the PGA isnt the masters or the open but come on...there was pressure there....

As for the chip in, granted it was very oppurtune, the thing is that many PGA tour pros would easily be albe to pull that shot off. It quite frankly is a straightforward shot, what you really need to pull that shot off is guts (or balls whichever you prefer).

... wait a second are we talking about the Chip on 16th @ the masters in 2005?

HOW IS THAT NOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 SHOTS EVER!?!? Honestly this guy planned his shot went out there and executed. I bet 10 out of 10 PGA golfers wouldve played a completly different break and wouldve ended farther than 4 feet from the cup. That is the ultimate chip in history has ever seen.

What about his "better than most" putt!?

• Staff
flomarilius;85767 HOW IS THAT NOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 SHOTS EVER!?!? Honestly this guy planned his shot went out there and executed. I bet 10 out of 10 PGA golfers wouldve played a completly different break and wouldve ended farther than 4 feet from the cup. That is the ultimate chip in history has ever seen. What about his "better than most" putt!?[/quote said:
I can't agree with this statement. I bet you could take any of the players in the top 125 on the money list and they could all hit that shot, its just not GREAT in my mind and not one of the GREAT shots of all time.

I can't agree with this statement. I bet you could take any of the players in the top 125 on the money list and they could all hit that shot, its just not GREAT in my mind and not one of the GREAT shots of all time.

Agreed. It was dramatic as all get out but not a hard shot, just got the break correct and a little luck. I've holed a few chips, not as much break as that, but got everyone in my group pretty excited. I'd have no chance in hell, ever, of hitting a 6iron 200 out of a bunker over a lake. Maybe a 5W if you gave me 300 tries.
icon10.gif

• Staff
Agreed. It was dramatic as all get out but not a hard shot, just got the break correct and a little luck. I've holed a few chips, not as much break as that, but got everyone in my group pretty excited. I'd have no chance in hell, ever, of hitting a 6iron 200 out of a bunker over a lake. Maybe a 5W if you gave me 300 tries.
icon10.gif

Its funny, there was an interview in Golf Digest with Samuel L Jackson. He was playing Glen Abbey and tried to recreate Tiger's shot. He started with a 6i and got a little farther than halfway to the green. He made several attempts with lower lofted clubs until finally making the green with...a 5w!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520