• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip tape that activates with soapy water?

This compressor method to install and remove grips seems like a good idea. Are there any special tips or adapters needed and will it work for most/all grips?

I've tried several incarnations of this, but never had much success. I did blow one up once though! LOUD!

Ive used a volley ball needle, a trigger gun, and a piece of PVC

Last edited:

I've tried several incarnations of this, but never had much success. I did blow one up once though! LOUD!

Wow, she made it look easy. And it's a she! It must be even easier if a man does it.

View attachment 25511 Got this at Lowes based on a few browses through past posts. This stuck her ass! Mineral spirits to de tack just like the strips you get from RockBottomGolf.com. Removal may be a challenge, but I've had good luck with WD 40 or Goo Gone even on old like 5 year old tape.

Acetone. Takes that shit off lickity split.

She made that look really easy! I think the safety shield and compressor gun/tool made it so easy too. Will have to make myself one of those for my workshop

The GolfWorks - The Source for Golf Grips Shafts OEM Golf Clubs Clubmaking Tools and Supplies
fvUG-v8A.B

I think getting some mineral spirits would be a bit cheaper than buying a compressor
In the short term, you're right.

If you're doing a lot of grips, and taking them off a lot, it's cheaper than cutting off grips every time you use them twice and want to pull them off. Plus, a compressor opens lots of other doors as far as tools...mineral spirits....thins paint and cleans some stuff.

If you want to take off grips... use a syringe and mineral spirits.

Yes, there are ways to do it without a compressor and without cutting them. I've done that. That's pretty much the reason I bought a compressor. A guy could blow a grip on, and blow it off in 10 seconds max. It takes longer than that to put the tape on the shaft, let alone get the grip on, let it dry, use the syringe to put mineral spirits under the grip and pull it off, clean the tape off, put new tape on, etc etc etc...

Blown on grips are amazingly fast and easy.

But blowing on and off... are you using tape? Tape helps build up thickness and aid in keeping the grip on.

There's no need for tape to keep the grip on. They don't slip. All my iron grips are blown on, never had a problem.

Build up thickness with masking tape or another style of tape and blow it on over the tape. No problems there.

There's no need for tape to keep the grip on. They don't slip. All my iron grips are blown on, never had a problem.

Build up thickness with masking tape or another style of tape and blow it on over the tape. No problems there.
I've out as many as 5-6 layers of tape on the shaft and then blown the grip on...no problemo!

I have blown grips off in the past, most of the time, it just balloons in the middle though. Jim, 5 layers of tape? If it's to build up, why not move up to the next size grip?

I have blown grips off in the past, most of the time, it just balloons in the middle though. Jim, 5 layers of tape? If it's to build up, why not move up to the next size grip?
Blowing grips off that were taped on is next to impossible. They always balloon on me too. You need to use some sort of solvent.

As for why I used so much tape? I didn't like the way the club felt with a heavier mid size grip on it, felt counter balanced in a way. I have since gotten over that and gone to Lamkin Midsize grips. Checking out a deal on Amazon now for some midsize Utx's too.

The nice thing about blowing off grips is that you can resell them they are near perfect still. Sure makes it easier to try before you but a whole set.

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54