• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gripping gone horibly wrong

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Reaction score
well, guys im in a bit of a predicament. I tried gripping my putter but then forgot i had no more solvent, so having no solvent and no golfsmith within 300 miles of me, i decided to find something to use as solvent so sure enough my mom says " hey, try nail polish remover" so sure enough it works... for 1/4 the club then the stuff drys and my grip is 1/4 the way on and i can't pull it off. Does anyone know a way to get it off so i can put it back on? and oh yea... when it comes to golf... NEVER trust women.

That's sort of painting all women, isn't it? :D

What you can do is get a coat hanger and pry under the grip to slowly remove the tape. Be careful, as you can poke through the grip. With a putter, it shouldn't be that bad because it's usually thicker. Just slowly work your way around unti you have enough worked up to pull the grip off.

Of course, this works easier if you have solvent to help soften the tape up...

Good luck. For what it's worth, if you need solvent, you might as well get a new grip while you're at it and cut that one off that went haywire...

Just a thought..

R35

I would have to agree with Rock on cutting that one off. The acetone in the nail polish remover probably fused the rubber in the grip to the tape and the shaft.

Start over with a new grip and get some solvent at the same time. They do make grip tape that allows you to use water as grip solvent, but the only person I know who has tried it, went back to tradional solvent as it was easier to use.

couldn't you squeeze some more solvent into the tiny hole at the top of the grip? I know it's a long shot, but better than cutting it off.

well i got it off (thanks rock, the coat hanger idea worked really good)and it doesn't look too bad so im gunna try putting it back on later, so do you know something to use as a solvent that wouldn't dry so damn fast?

Low Odor Mineral Spirits. About $1.79 a quart at Home Depot or Lowes. Works great.

I have used an air compressor to blow my grips on; pretty easy. I've been very happy with this method, never tried tape and solvent.

wirehair said:
Low Odor Mineral Spirits. About $1.79 a quart at Home Depot or Lowes. Works great.
Yes - mineral spirits works perfectly.

Gasoline also works. I've used solvent, mineral spirits, paint thinner, gas, but i do all my home regrips with water-based, just because i can clean up soap easier than solvent

DIRTMAN Could you give me some details about your compressed air procedure? I put some air into the hole on one of my clubs that needs regripping. It blew up like a balon and tore the hell out of the grip. How many pounds of pressure do you use , etc, etc, etc?
Thanks

I use paint thinner as grip solvent. Works like a charm.

Camping Fuel. It's about 3.00 per gallon at Wal-Mart.

Thanks guys, i ended up using gasoline, it worked like a charm

What'saScore said:
DIRTMAN Could you give me some details about your compressed air procedure? I put some air into the hole on one of my clubs that needs regripping. It blew up like a balon and tore the hell out of the grip. How many pounds of pressure do you use , etc, etc, etc?
Thanks

It doesn't work well for taking grips off that have had tape used on them. I had the same thing happen you describe and I cut the old grips off, but have read you can squirt solvent up the grip to try and save them. As far as my method, I simply slide the end of the grip onto the bare shaft, place the nozzle of the air gun into the hole of the grip and give it a little burst to get the grip started. Once it's started you just keep giving little burst and pushing down. I have the regulator on the compressor set at 60 psi. Now you can just rotate the grips once they start showing wear spots and re gripping will take no time. You can use masking tape to build up layers and add thickness as well. HTH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520