• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grips? Worth it?

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
I have a set of Wilson clubs that get the job done. I'll upgrade, but not quite yet. Anyway, I'm taking golf more serious this year and trying to really lower my score. Are grips really that big of a deal? I have no complaints about mine, but then again, I've hit with them forever now and didn't think about it. How much is it to get them regripped? I know nothing about grips :)

New grips are WELL worth what they cost. I re-grip every year and wouldnt have it any other way.

After a while grips do get slick and need to be replaced. You can get a grip 'kit' on golfsmith for pretty cheap and do them yourself. If you can change oil in a car, you can change grips. All you need is a box cutter or carpet cutter, a way to remove the old grip tape(i like using a linolium knife), and a small vice. The kit comes with everything else you will need. Extremely easy and only takes about a half hour for an entire set...

Otherwise you can take it to a local shop and have them do it.

Grips are the most important part of the club: they are the only point of contact between you and the ball.

#1: Get the right size for your hand.
#2: Try a few different brands and styles.
#3: Keep them clean. Cleaning instructions will be different for different grip materials.
#4: Replace them when they start to wear or become too hard/slippery.
#5: The most expensive are not always the best for you.
#6: Just when you find a grip that is perfect, the manufacturer will discontinue it.

Worth every penny. Especially when you do them yourself!

What's the average cost for the golf shop to do them? Roughly....

HaHa. I know I could do it, just wondering what the difference would be. I work 6 days a week and take 18 credit hours of school....so my schedule is SWAMPED. I could also mow my own yard....but lack of time makes me hire someone. haha. As soon as I get into grad school, I'll have much more time because I can drop my job :)

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54