• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hands in front of clubhead

jon.b

Reaction score
When I set up for short irons my hands are pointed to the outside of my lead thigh. Is that too much? I hit my short irons and wedges very well but then struggle as I move to mid to long irons. I think this is because the loft on the clubs along with ball position make it more difficult to set up with my hands that far in front of my clubhead. Any suggestions?

When I set up for short irons my hands are pointed to the outside of my lead thigh. Is that too much? I hit my short irons and wedges very well but then struggle as I move to mid to long irons. I think this is because the loft on the clubs along with ball position make it more difficult to set up with my hands that far in front of my clubhead. Any suggestions?
Hands forward promotes ball first striking, but if you get too aggressive with this you deloft the club. That would probably explain the inconsistencies with your longer irons. Where do you have the ball in your setup???

In the middle of my feet for short irons and slightly forward for mid and long irons. I hit my 9i roughly 110-120 and my 8i 130ish. It's not as drastic on my 7i to 4i. I generally hit pretty straight and my mishits are push and pulls

Sounds like you're setup correctly, maybe not so exaggerated hands forward position in the mid to long.

Pay attention to your shoulders. More level is neutral. As the right shoulder gets lower and comes under the leftt as you swing, you start drawing, as it stay on top you fade. How you intend to come through the ball will inform your setup as well.

Do you think my left shoulder is too high this is my natural set up

Attachments

• 1379879228806.jpg
    1379879228806.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 78
Can you get a straight on shot and one from behind. Oh, and don't listen to TrickyPutt, he'll get you swinging by holding the club head. :)

Thats right..my advice is free and its worth nothing for sure.

Now explain that right hand actually under the shaft? Thats more than a tad strong dontcha think?

Do you hook or draw a lot?

Last edited:
That's one reason why I requested a head on shot.

These are the only two angles I have I can work on getting a straight on shot. I do worry about that right hand but it's hard to have it more on top the way I set up with my hands as far in front as I do

Attachments

• 1379885415043.jpg
    1379885415043.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 79
Pretty closed stance. Do you hit a hook? I'd like to see you a few inches closer to the ball.

No I generally hit straight and my mishits are push or pull I never hook my woods slice but that's all. I tend to hit off my toe a lot and I tried moving closer but I don't like to grip down on the club.

Another common mishit for me is thin or lack of distant but in both of those instances they are straight

No I generally hit straight and my mishits are push or pull I never hook my woods slice but that's all. I tend to hit off my toe a lot and I tried moving closer but I don't like to grip down on the club.
You don't have to grip down on a club to stand closer. To me you look a little hunched over and reaching. I think that if you stand a tad closer and taller and square up your stance a little you might like it.

Thanks for your help I will try that tomorrow at the range im still new to the sport. Only about a year since I started. What did you mean by closed stance and changing it to be squared. What was I doing wrong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520