• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have they gone too far?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Reaction score
I guess everyone is trying to cash in on the success of the R7 but this seems a little wierd.

Anyone think this is a good idea or just another gimmick to separate us from our golf stash?

Seems gimicky to me. Though I'm surprised that someone beat Taylor made to it.

Like many improvements, this one will probably only be useful to few players. It seems to me that the capability to "tune" a golf club will only be useful to players who already have consistent swings, and those players don't really need the feature. I see guys that bought the currently popular melon-on-a-stick drivers to get more distance. So now instead of slicing their drives 230 yds into the trees they can slice the ball 260 yds into the next fairway.

I have a 20 year old set of Hogan Magnums that I dearly love. I "feel" like I hit them better than I ever hit my old clubs. However, it just dawned on me the other day, as I was writing a post, that the best score of my life, 83, was shot with my old clubs, a set of Wilson Sam Sneads bought from Montgomery Wards when I was in high school 40 years ago!

My point is that clubs, within reason, only have a marginal effect on one's game. Any pro could pick up a set of rusty old clubs or a $100 set from KMart and still shoot par. Any hacker could buy the most technically advanced clubs available and still shoot 110.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE buying new toys and do. But I'm not easily seduced by the hype. I am an avid cyclist. Trek Bicycles every year improves the bikes Lance Armstrong rides. Ultralight carbon fiber jobs with the latest gears and wheels. Then thousands of people line up to pay $4000-5000 to get one that they will never ride in a race. Or they will spend $800 for carbon fiber wheels because they are 3 ounces lighter, yet they are 20 pounds overweight and could lose 5 lbs in a couple of weeks for free.

Sorry for the rant. Marketing people hate me. :D

That replaces lead tape that's been used for a long, long time.

Good idea for the golfer that needs a little help with the draw or cut bias.

R35

Good post Rainman....

Thanks, Bravo. FWIW, as I get back into the game more deeply, I will probably not be able to resist the temptation of getting a melon on a stick so instead of driving the ball 260 yards into the water I can drive it 280 yards into the water! :D

I saw the other day on TGC a guy who has on of the lagest colection of 1,2,3 iron in the world. He had a club from the '50-'60 that had a removable weight on the toe. So it is not a new idea and i think it is just a gimmick. Nothing replaces a good swing. I have hit both the R7 and R5 and they both felt like a rock tied to a stick.

Rainmanp said:
My point is that clubs, within reason, only have a marginal effect on one's game. Any pro could pick up a set of rusty old clubs or a $100 set from KMart and still shoot par. Any hacker could buy the most technically advanced clubs available and still shoot 110.

Exactly. Hey, I can ho with the best of them but it just seemed stupid that I would turn to a 5 iron to fix my slice or hook. And like Rock said, lead tape's been around for a long time.

Rainmanp said:
Thanks, Bravo. FWIW, as I get back into the game more deeply, I will probably not be able to resist the temptation of getting a melon on a stick so instead of driving the ball 260 yards into the water I can drive it 280 yards into the water! :D

Melon on a stick to you perhaps. For some of the playas it's a more forgiving club to help them smash it deep.

Vijay plays the 460 comp

Pixipip, your post confuses me, but that's not unusual as age is creeping up on me.
"WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!
Well put."

Which post is the load of rubbish? Mine? Fine by me. It's just my opinion and worth what you pay for it.

VtDivot, don't misunderstand what I am saying. I have no problem with the large headed drivers. I'm sure they are more forgiving and allow one to hit the ball farther. And I probably WILL buy one someday. For the 3-4 handicapper, the extra length might improve their game. But even the most forgiving clubs will not miraculously convert a 27 handicap to an 18.

Rainmanp said:
And I probably WILL buy one someday. For the 3-4 handicapper, the extra length might improve their game. But even the most forgiving clubs will not miraculously convert a 27 handicap to an 18.

FWIW, I just switched from a TM 360 to a Cobra 460 and the difference is significant. It's not that much longer but I'm keeping it in the fairway a lot more. Like you say it's not gonna turn a 27 into an 18 but it can help a 27 become a 23.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go demo some clubs. :)

DaveE said:
FWIW, I just switched from a TM 360 to a Cobra 460 and the difference is significant. It's not that much longer but I'm keeping it in the fairway a lot more. Like you say it's not gonna turn a 27 into an 18 but it can help a 27 become a 23.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go demo some clubs. :)

Dave,
Right you are on that last! But just to continue my assumed role of devil's advocate, I'm not even sure I would concede that it might help a 27 become a 23. "Forgiving" is a relative term. If someone has a huge banana slice, a bighead drive might help it become a slightly less drastic slice. Someone with a 27 handicap has a lot of things going on, probably an inconsistent swing and iffy short game. If a guy doesn't hit his P any better than he hits his 8 (not unusual for someone at that level), I'm still not sure an extra 20-30 yards on the occasionaly drive is going to make any difference. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but now we are getting to the nitty gritty of what I am talking about.

Look at my game for a real life example of what I am trying to illustrate. I am hitting driver 250-260, certainly not long, but I consider it adequate for where I am right now as I am trying to rebuild my game after a LONG layoff. BUT I have not gotten back the consistency I would like to have. By way of adding a bit of credibility to my position, let me say that right now I would guess I am about a 27 hc player. I do have a custom made 3 wood, er, metal, that I had made with a modern head, ie quite large, after a swing analysis by a custom clubmaker that seems to be well respected. I hit it pretty well, 230-240, but, frankly, not any more CONSISTENTLY than I hit my old small head drivers and 3. And the old 3 even has an inappropriately stiff shaft for me (Taylormade that is supposed to be R but actually flexes extra stiff due to apparent manufacturing error). Now what conclusion should I draw from this? I should be more consistent with a 3 than a driver, right? So if I am not hitting this custom, bighead 3 consistently am I going to hit a bighead driver any better? We are talking degree here. Most people would say that except for the occasional bad shot I hit all these clubs pretty well.

Having vast experience (second hand) with the Queen's english I'm guessing that pix meant that the clubs were a load of rubbish, not your post, Rainman.

Unfortunately.......Pix will not be able to respond to your query (That's english for question....;) ) as he has been removed to my private interrogation bunker for repeated spam......if you listen closely, perhaps you will be able to hear his screams. :D

Rainman -

I see your point.

Here's what I was trying to say

I'm an 8 HCP. I play a Melon on a stick ;) I hit it about 300 when I hit it on the screws. I hit it about 280 when I don't catch it all that good.

If I were playing my old 330cc driver. I'd prob hit it about 280 on the screws and 230 on mishits. The difference is definitely in the misses, you barely notice them with the bigger club. Does this translate into scoring??? That all depends what you can do after you find your tee shot :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301